Just completed some DIY maintence on my 8er

• I have just completed a whole host of DIY jobs

Full service

• new mintex pads
    • new BMW original discs all round
    • new brake fluid – a real ***** to flush properly!
    • new thermostat and coolant flush/replace
    • 12 new Bosch sparkies
    • 2 new air filters
    • a BMW original oil filter
    • 2 new fuel filters – oldies dated from the factory at wk 44,1993! Despite my BMW service history! my car was registered in Jan 1994
    • 8 litres of 5w-40 fully synthetic oil

Repairs

• fixed leaking lower sump – thank you Hylomar!!!
    • fixed long term untraceable petrol smell – loose fuel hose to RH fuel rail by cylinder 1
    • New micro suede headliner – needs slight finishing though
    • Fixed my remote unlocking key which had never worked for the duration of my ownership
    • overhauled the whole AC system and dropped in 1.5kg of R134a and 180ml PAG46– now icy cold. Hasn’t worked in over five years!

A big thank you to GSF for my 10% discount on all my parts from them as I work at Heathrow! I didn’t even know I was entitled to it until I got the counter to pay and the chappy spotted my airside pass still around my neck.

A few little jobs left –

• A slight coolant drip from the front centre of the engine – I imagine that the water pump has a failed o-ring
    • All drive belts will need replacing soon. I will do these in conjunction with the above job.
    • I had immense difficulty in undoing the rear brake lines to replace with braided ones. Front ones done, rears saved for the next pad replacement and when I have the patience to try them again.
    • I need a new sword to fix my chaotic fan speed. Tried an overhaul with new Mosfets– it didn’t work. A real pain in the *** to remove and install

The best and most satisfying part is that these jobs only cost me a few hundred quid in parts and would have run into the thousands at the mercy of the main dealer or garage with all those hours of labour!

• Yet another car then with full Main Dealer history and 17 year old fuel filters. Maybe the die-hard "dealer only" serviced owners should take note and consider a decent independant garage, it just proves the dealer only does the easy profit stuff.

Probably done by a 17 year old apprentice who didn't even know it had fuel filters.

8Tech.

• Zitat von 8Tech;79171

Yet another car then with full Main Dealer history and 17 year old fuel filters. Maybe the die-hard "dealer only" serviced owners should take note and consider a decent independant garage, it just proves the dealer only does the easy profit stuff.

Probably done by a 17 year old apprentice who didn't even know it had fuel filters.

8Tech.

Totally agree with you 8Tech, I was in disbelief when I saw the dates. It really makes me wonder how these main dealers justify their prices. In fact my local BMW main dealer admits that the expertise has all gone.

I am now working on removing the water pump. Undone everything but the infernal thing won't budge!

• Zitat von E31Gill;79175

I am now working on removing the water pump. Undone everything but the infernal thing won't budge!

Finally figured out what it was. Counted all 6 bolts off - one was off the crank casing. Totally missed one on the pump out...duh. Ah well my excuse is that it was fairly well hidden.

Off to the dealers tomorrow to order all the O-rings.

• Top effort E31 Gill, well done.
    Like you, I have just concluded a spat of rectification work (details to come). I'm sure you will agree it make you feel good when you sort something thats been bugging for a while.

MB:top:

• Zitat von E31Gill;79189

Finally figured out what it was. Counted all 6 bolts off - one was off the crank casing. Totally missed one on the pump out...duh. Ah well my excuse is that it was fairly well hidden.

Off to the dealers tomorrow to order all the O-rings.

Those water pumps are a bear.... with that one bolt under the harmonic balancer and then that 5mm bolt deal to push it off, it's a real head scratcher for the uninitiated I'd imagine.

• Oh dear... I kow that feeling...
    That's a job is best done with the help of a good (=willing) friend :top:

Das was du heute denkst, wirst du morgen sein.
    Buddha

• Zitat von Danilo;79208

Oh dear... I kow that feeling...
    That's a job is best done with the help of a good (=willing) friend :top:

I used a pressure Brake fluid pump at the master cylinder end and a vacuum pump at the calipers. Then I just had to bleed them in the correct order whilst pumping the pedal. I had to do this three times before it was right.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!