On board computer

• Hi all,

My OBC is suffering with the old missing pixels issue. I know there are companies out there that will refurb and fix the pixel issue, but, as I have another BMW (My track car), which has a perfect 18 button OBC, can I simply swap them over?

My car is a 95 840Ci and the donor a 95 318Is Coupe,

Many thanks,

Jake

• There is a company that now sell the ribboncable that is the root cause of the pixelfailures for many BMW.

They also have the ribbon cable for E31 OBC
    I just ordered one and got it yesterday, will try and replace it and see hove it turns out, but think this has a chance to work well.

Tricky here is to place the ribboncable correct as well as clean display and pcb before mounting ( came with instructions )
    I can scan them and upload here if you give me a day.

http://pixelfix.net/eng/bmw.html

Regards
    Terje

• Her's the instruction scanned

Have a few comment's it says NO Soldering needed but thats not the case.
    On mine i had to desolder three pins going to the Frame where the light bulbs are.

Secound It's wery tricky to place the ribboncable correct ( I failed on first attemt ) and had not pulled it apart yet to try again.

Will give you an Update on hove it goes :grin2:

• I recently purchased the OBC repair on Ebay for about $158. I received the unit back in less than a week, installed the unit and it works perfect. I believe the replaced the bad connection that causes in the pixel deterioration.

• Zitat von huldra66;80635

Secound It's wery tricky to place the ribboncable correct ( I failed on first attemt ) and had not pulled it apart yet to try again.

Will give you an Update on hove it goes :grin2:

Hi,
    any update yet?

I got the ribbon cable for my X5 MID and failed too. I tried it seven times and always didn't get all pixels to work. I noticed that the ribbon cable that I received is a bit smaller than the pinout on the LCD and board. I tried everything (as mentioned in supplied instructions) to match them up but it looks like the ribbon cable is going back to its initial size (a bit shorter) after I put everything together and in the end some pixels still don't work.

Don't think it is an easy job!

firebird

• Tried again and no go I'm afraid :(

But I think that I damaged the display during the process of cleaning debries from the old ribbon cable.

If I try again then I would leve the debries there and try without to see if that's work ( can always try clening as a last try )

But no it's not an easy job , think I would recommend sending it for repair or do as I did buy a new.
    Just tried since I had the old one there from before.

Regrards
    Terje

• Hi,
    how did you remove the debris from the old ribbon on the LCD panel? It looked to me very tuff - and I did it in warm temperature?
    On the board side it was tuff too but there is almost no risk to damage the circuit lines but LCD side looks like it is very tricky.

I don't know if heating up before removing the old ribbon cable from LCD is a good idea since I don't know how much temperature the LCD can handle without taking damage.

firebird

• Removing from the board no problem as the board can take a lot of force,
    I acytally used 800 sand paper and got the board nice and shiny on the contacts.

LCD was hard , i did use my fingernails mostly and also used a plastic scraper, but i it's very hard to remove and thisk that's killed the LCD.

For temperature , that's possibly a good trick ?? havent tried but could be the way to go.
    try heating up to 50deg, that should be no problem ( dislpay will most likely be darker at this temp )
    I use 50 deg to dry out moisture from damaged multimeter's with dislay without damaging them

Regards
    Terje

• Zitat von IcemanBHE;82599

Acetone/Qtips removes the GUNK. I wouldnt be sanding to hard.... :(

I would not recommend Acetone/Qtips for removing the old debris from the LCD panel.

On the board side you may get away with it but I don't like acetone on an electric circuit board at all.

firebird

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!