Air Mass Sensor

• I was loading my new K&N air filters in today and noticed something not quite right. In my Air mass sensor on the RHS (13621733678 - no more made?) as you stand looking at the engine I noticed that inside (it was clean) there was no fine filament wire like on the other AMS ! It seems as though only the filament supports were there. Can anyone explain briefly the primary purpose of this device (I'm thinking air flow regulation control?) and what if any difference not having this will do? Is it a small pre-heat wire element?

Thanks

Bob
    850CI

• put VERY simple.

-wire is heated to a set temperature.
    -air passes the hot wire cooling it.
    -current is applied to maintain temperature stable
    -more air flow = more current
    -engine management uses this current to calculate air mass in intake.
    -engine adjusts fuel mix and timing based on this

feedback from the O2 sensor in the exhaust is used in conjunction with the MAF to maintain the correct air fuel ratio and timing.

Not having one = less than optimal fuel mix, rough idle, loss of power and responce.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• I feel more knowledgeable now about the Mass Air Flow Sensor and looks like a replacement would be the best option. Does anyone know where I could obtain one please. Tried ebay and nothing found. Guess I need a breaker somewhere to remove one? It is a 93 850CI if anyone knows where there could be one.

Alternatively, could the heated filament wire be replaced?

Thanks

Bob
    850CI

• Zitat von Bob Beebe;85661

Does anyone know where I could obtain one please. Tried ebay and nothing found. Guess I need a breaker somewhere to remove one?

:winkwink: The breaker stands here

:) no, not the 8, but the oxford green 7 :grin2:

I'll have a look at the AMSs the next days...

Herzliche Grüße/ best regards

Harry! :winkwink:

• I would be very concerned if the MAF (Air Mass Sensor) did not have a wire in it. Another thing that some state is the oiled air filters (K & N) can cause problems with MAFs. The benefits/risks/disadvantages of oiled air filters can be extensively discussed, but to my thinking, if you put an oiled filter in the airflow, then pass the air over a very small wire, it may not be advantageous. As Noggie said, the car will run, but will not run its best without a fully functional MAF. Good luck!

BMW 850 CSi
    BMW 8er.org Clubs International (B8CI) Board Representative, USA and North America
    Editor, E31 NEWS International E31 Newsletter

• She runs like a dream with the new filters in, but I have had a longstanding problem with bank 1-6 being out of range for fuel/air balancing from diognostics. I reckon this is the issue. Looks like a few people are looking for a spare for me. I think someone has just replaced the unit without the current wire in it.

The ones referred to on ebay look distinctly different to the original. If I can find an original intact, I would feel better.

Cheers

Bob
    850CI

• care for modern air mass sensors?

I've built a little setup to enable our dear old M70 (or S70) engines to equip more modern air mass sensors.

Some pictures:
    http://www.8er.org/forum/showpost.php?p=81269&postcount=122

The complete thread (in the German part of the forum) shows the whole project with all the data.

So far I've been testing the setup in my own M70 with no negative results. One can expect the new setup to behave like equipping fully functioning original sensors.

What do you guys think?

• oops.. can you see these?

The idea is to design an electronics board with a processor that converts the characteristics (massflow to voltage) of the modern sensor into the characteristic of the original sensor. That way, the DMEs will not notice the difference.

The pictures display a "test bench like" setup. I merely shoved it all in there to see if it works. It's not how I would imagine a proper clean installation. But.. I found out that it does work so far.

• fuzzifikation's thread is posted in the German/Swiss/Austrian club E31 club forum. The club forum is only available to paying club members. For pricing and club membership, please contact reinhard.

Here are fuzzifikation's pictures (click to enlarge):

Zitat von fuzzifikation;85723

What do you guys think?

What did you think we'd think? Awesome, of course :top:! Given the prices BMW demands for trade-in refurbished MAFs, this may make several E31 owners happy.

• Thank you, revtor!

Pricing of original BMW MAFs is only one of the aspects - unfortunately there is not a big margin there with all the new parts ( saving a couple of hundred euros is realistic - but not a whole lot more). Availability might be another one - maybe in a couple of years those old refurbished MAFs are not available anymore? It's more the availability that this project aims for - to keep the old M70s on the road.

The biggest negative aspect so far is that it seems as if no one can get their hands on the connectors of the original MAFs. In the pictures you see sawed-off connectors (the last pic shows one) from original but defect MAFs that were donated to me for the project. However, this solution is not optimal and I am desperatly looking for those connectors!

Without these original connectors one would have to cut the wire harness before the connectors and install a coupling. That is a non-reversible alteration. Although the original MAFs could still be used, the wire harness would not be original anymore. Something that I think only few are willing to do.

• In your other thread you suggested approximately 600 EUR for two sensors and the electronics. For the refurbished M70 MAFs the difference may not be that big, but a single S70 MAF goes for over 700 EUR... Plus if one of the sensors ever fails again, you only have to replace the relatively cheap hot film MAF.

But I agree the wiring and connectors will be a decisive factor to many... I hope you can find a solution for that!

• Zitat von revtor;85743

..., but a single S70 MAF goes for over 700 EUR...

I'm not religious but... JESUS CHRIST!:ahhhhh:

Zitat von revtor;85743

But I agree the wiring and connectors will be a decisive factor to many... I hope you can find a solution for that!

Me too .. maybe one of the guys reading this might have an idea?

• Any luck finding a MAF?

I just collected a huge pile of e31 parts, and in that pile there was 3 MAF's.

Send me the Pnr of the ones you have and maybe I have one for you.
    Edit: just saw the number in your first post, will check one of the next days when I go out to my garage and start sorting out the valuable parts from the junk (stuff that is broken)

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• "....What did you think we'd think? Awesome, of course ! Given the prices BMW demands for trade-in refurbished MAFs, this may make several E31 owners happy..."

Are the BMW supplied MAFs refurbished?

I just ordered a CSi one and I think (hope) they are new..??

I'll know when it arrives, but it was not listed as refurbished and they did not ask for my old one, which incidentally is ok, but I'd like to have a spare.

Otherwise, there are these, which seem to have the right connector, so some Chinese company should be able to make the connector adapter for using say, a Bosch HFM5 type.

http://www.onlineautomotive.co…ctID=7561&VehicleID=28616

• Don't trust the 'Chinese copy' MAF's, they look good but fail to measure air-mass accurately, and let's face it, that's all they have to do! Bought one for the E38 a couple of years ago, when it went to BMW for running problems they just laughed at the innacuracy!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!