Spring project and then ....

• I tried one of those a few years ago on the back of the E31, it doesn't work, the sensor strip has to be a certain distance away from any metal and the rear of the E31 is one giant metal girder.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• Zitat von shiggsy;97499

I tried one of those a few years ago on the back of the E31, it doesn't work, the sensor strip has to be a certain distance away from any metal and the rear of the E31 is one giant metal girder.

Thanks for sharing. I was quite tempted to give it a go. The site for parking dynamics mentions that its possible to insulate the metal. I wonder how feasable this'll actually be?

• Zitat von shiggsy;97499

I tried one of those a few years ago on the back of the E31, it doesn't work, the sensor strip has to be a certain distance away from any metal and the rear of the E31 is one giant metal girder.

But it could be a great option for the front??

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• It might be possible, but I think it would have to be in the section above the FTP lights, the other place is below the number plate but that would be too close to the ground.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• A friend of mine tested such a parking sensor on his car (was a 5 series). The most annoying about it was that it only beeped when the car was moving. Slowly reversing in a tight parallel parking place was not really possible. It also had problems with big rocks (used as barriers around some parking places) and house walls. In my opinion it's a waste of money.

Cheers,
    Steve

• Glass roof ?? Now that'll be a challenge. I was always under the impression that the roof formed some kind of structural cage to help strengthen the whole car. One reason why cabriolets are so wooly and bendy, despite the boffins trying their best to redesign the chassis of these drop top versions.

My guess it's that it is impossible to do properly on an e31. There, I said it..... Hope that spurs you on, and look forward to seeing your progress/results !

• Zitat von TallTony;97538

Glass roof ?? Now that'll be a challenge. I was always under the impression that the roof formed some kind of structural cage to help strengthen the whole car. One reason why cabriolets are so wooly and bendy, despite the boffins trying their best to redesign the chassis of these drop top versions.

My guess it's that it is impossible to do properly on an e31. There, I said it..... Hope that spurs you on, and look forward to seeing your progress/results !

Hi Tony - good to see you still visit from time to time :)

For structural, cost, practical, cost, ease of job, cost and cost reasons I've narrowed my options to three:
    1. Glass panel in existing metal panel.
    2. Peugeot type roof (see earlier in thread) which sits on top.
    3. Spend my time and energy doing something else entirely.

Still open to ideas.....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!