To black or not to black

• Car is going in on Monday to get the roof and bonnet resprayed. The roof as there are a couple of rust spots on the leading and trailing edge, and the bonnet due to a couple of pretty deep stone chips. He's also going to blow in the leading and trailing edges on the wheel arches, as there's a few nasty spots there also.
    Anyway....I have always really fancied a high gloss black roof so now is the time to take the plunge.
    I'm not really bothered about originality hence wheels etc but should I take the plunge?
    Schnitz...Do you ever regret it?

• I say do it.

If I didn't have a black car I would have had a black roof put on mine

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Thanks Egil and Steve. The picture in my profile makes it look a bit brighter than it actually is. It's Avus which can also look a bit dark out of the sun.
    I think I'll go for it. Can always change it if it looks really naff.
    Just need to find a good source for a baseball cap, get the drivers seat lowered and a false arm to hang out of the drivers window.
    Plus some of that really strange 'music'

• Zitat von sandwich;97721

Car is going in on Monday to get the roof and bonnet resprayed. The roof as there are a couple of rust spots on the leading and trailing edge,

Take a REAL good look at those areas, they are almost certainly indicative of much worse under the seal of the glass, which should be removed to check it to repair it.

If either of the screens need replacing, thats the obvious time to do it, ie misting along the edges of the rear glass.

If you do need glass, let me know, I have both screens in gradient top-tint in stock.

Cheers,

8Tech.

PS, gloss black roof will be good and fit a new sunroof seal at the same time, no black bonnets though please.

• Zitat von schnitz850;97727

I love my black roof....

The guy who painted it for me had free reign so he put some blue fleck in it...

So can anyone explain to me why the black paint doesn't "paint" the blue flecks black?? I understand if the blue metallic is in the lacquer OVER the black but not when included in it! :help:

• Just got in after a gripping night in town. The warm weather certainly brings out the best of Britain!
    I've checked the roof by pulling back the rubber [ ooooer matron] and the rust is limited to few spots on the roof and not behind the rubber surround.
    After seeing the picture from Reinhard I'm going for it!
    James Dean has nothing on me

Cheers Gerry.I think it will be OK but will give you a buzz if needed. The sunroof was replaced about 6 years ago when I bought the car and had a new seal fitted then

• Zitat von BBMatic;97744

I'm going to be the lone dissenting voice here and -

I obviously am the one dissenting voice - Black looks best when it is in stark contracts - e.g. black roof on white car. My opinion anyway :oops:

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!