"How To"......Replace the Pentosin Reservoir Filter

• Firstly, remove the cap.......

to expose the gauze element. Under the top plate, there is a large fibre washer that hardens with age so its wise to have a replacement ready.

Using a 10mm deep socket or similar, undo completely, the nut retaining the gauze filter.......

and lift away the gauze element, nut and small flat washer.

This will expose the spring, washers and tube that retains the filter in compression.

You can now remove these parts, noting which order they are fitted in as the washers are of different bore sizes.

Then using either a small hand, or a pair of long nose grips, lift out the filter together with its loose top plate and valve.

Here on the view from below, you can see the valve assembly and the lower large diameter rubber seal.

Assuming this was a pre-planned replacement operation, you will now have a shiny new filter ready. Note there are different filters for cars with and without AHK.

You can now insert the valve assembly into the new filter.......ensuring the two large rubber seals are in position. The valve assembly has a 3 pronged spring mechanism similar to brake pads to hold it within the filter element...

Here you can clearly see the difference between the filter on the left with 40000m on it and the new one.....

Firstly using a syphon and then a clean rag, I cleaned-out the canister right to the bottom to remove all traces of dirt and a slight layer of sludge.

Before installing the new filter/valve assembly........

followed by the tube............

washer with LARGE bore...........

spring........

standard M6 flat washer.......

and the newly washed gauze. Washed in brake cleaner and dried with an airline.

You can now refit the M6 flat washer and nut and as the nut pulls down, the gauze filter compresses the spring underneath and seats the filter under spring pressure. The gauze filter will now sit down flush ready to refill the system......

with that lovely translucent green CHF11S Pentosin fluid.

So thats two of the filters in my Pentosin system done, next will be the third in the trunk with the AHK pump and the fourth under the car on the actuator.

O joy!!!

8Tech.

• Thanks for the great maintenance report for an item that likely hasn´t been replaced in the majority of cars to date.:top:
    Before you go towards the AHK unit one information - the so called repair kit 1140454 consisting of the filter, top lid, set of screws and O-ring is discontinued.
    The filter itself is still available, screws are of 10.8 type IIRC and the lid can of course be reused. The only concern is the O-ring, respectively finding a suitable replacement that will seal to the operating pressure.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Zitat von reinhard;99701

Thanks for the great maintenance report for an item that likely hasn´t been replaced in the majority of cars to date.:top:
    Before you go towards the AHK unit one information - the so called repair kit 1140454 consisting of the filter, top lid, set of screws and O-ring is discontinued.
    The filter itself is still available, screws are of 10.8 type IIRC and the lid can of course be reused. The only concern is the O-ring, respectively finding a suitable replacement that will seal to the operating pressure.

Cheers
    Reinhard

Luckily, I have a personal stock of the repair kit but will make a note of the fact when I do the post. I will also find a supply of that "O" ring now I know. You are of course referring to the filter in the pump assembly whereas the filter and "O" ring in the actuator are currently still available. I think that with an overall count of 4 filters in the system, BMW were concerned about oil cleanliness!!!

Thanks,

8Tech.

• Great one :winkwink:

Looking forward to the AHK and actuator one as I have planned to do this on my own car as well , actually this winter but it was too short :harhar: so will have to be next winter.

Wondering if it's needed to run the test sequence to bleed the system or not see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HMaPqpnU3s or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zX5dQkb-xQ

I have read that some just filled up the system again and it was self bleeding :hmmmm:

Regards
    Terje

• huldra66: What is shown in the videos is the dynamic actuator test (in DIS: "[53] ACTIVE REAR-AXLE KINEMATICS" --> "[5] Special Functions" --> "[7] Dynamic actuator test"). This has nothing to do with bleeding the system.

In theory the system bleeds itself, but since AHK is rarely used under normal driving conditions and the hydraulic flow rate is relatively low it may take a very long time before all air inclusions are gone. Therefore it's probably not a bad idea to force bleed the system through a BMW diagnostic system. In DIS: "[53] ACTIVE REAR-AXLE KINEMATICS" --> "[5] Special Functions" --> "[10] Load test, hydraulics". This test runs the system at a higher flow rate which should carry away the air inclusions.

• Zitat von revtor;99712

huldra66: What is shown in the videos is the dynamic actuator test (in DIS: "[53] ACTIVE REAR-AXLE KINEMATICS" --> "[5] Special Functions" --> "[7] Dynamic actuator test"). This has nothing to do with bleeding the system.

In theory the system bleeds itself, but since AHK is rarely used under normal driving conditions and the hydraulic flow rate is relatively low it may take a very long time before all air inclusions are gone. Therefore it's probably not a bad idea to force bleed the system through a BMW diagnostic system. In DIS: "[53] ACTIVE REAR-AXLE KINEMATICS" --> "[5] Special Functions" --> "[10] Load test, hydraulics". This test runs the system at a higher flow rate which should carry away the air inclusions.

Thanks for the clarification :top: , looks kind of cool to try out :cool:.
    Will have to test it when I replace all pentosin and filters ( next winter )

Regards
    Terje

• Both RealOEM and BMW Dealers database are confused on the correct filter for a 1999 840ciSport with ASC+T. Gerry kindly suggested it was part: 32411137788 which looks like the one in Gerry's post. However, the actual filter fitted looks/feels ceramic and is only 70 mm in diameter compared to the filter shown above which is 90mm in diameter. I was able to wash the original in petrol and refit it. Also, the pressure relief valve on this model comprises a simple "pop-up" plug in the metal dish on top of the filter.

Incidentally, when I ordered the 32411137788 I was told it was the only one in the UK. I'll be returning it unopened in the next two days if anyone is wanting one!

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Thats strange. If you look at the original packaging on my filter post mine is a 1113787 so should NOT look like the 1113788 you purchased. My car clearly has AHK so maybe the packaging has got swapped around at some stage?

Everything else you mention rings correct as I have AHK and you do not, therefore the number I gave you should have been correct!

Never mind, you saved some money and got the job well done anyway.

8Tech.

• Someone probably didnt know which one they had and bought both. Opened them both and fitted the one that fitted correctly and returned the choice in the wrong box.

As noone would recognise this, it will just float around until someone cant be bothered to send it back or loses their receipt or orders the wrong one which will turn out to then be the correct one.

I see it all the time where dodgy garages use the expensive part, such as a caliper, then put the new cheap one back in the box of the expensive one to get their credit, then return the old unit in the box of the cheaper unit to get the surcharge back.

Very common with GSF, ECP and others who have staff who do not check the returns and just stick them back on the shelf.

• I doubt it, once maybe but twice in succession/? + my filter was in a sealed bag & placed in a unopened box?

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• When I ordered the filter I was told there was only one left in the BMW Central Supply Warehouse in the UK, so it came from there - not the Dealers stock shelves. It had the picking label attached as well as the large yellow part number label. When I queried it on collection the parts guy checked on their database (same as realOEM) and agreed it was difficult to determine - both types of Pentosin Container are shown as ASC+T.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!