• Hi all
    Not sure if anyone will be able to assist without actually listening to the car, in person. There's a rattling noise, that sounds metallic, coming from the rear left of the car as far as I can tell.
    It only really annoys when going over cobbled roads, which we seem to have a lot of around here! I took it to my trusted local indie today, who does all the work on the car and is well versed with 'most' aspects of BMWs. We checked all the drop links etc and all were good. Checked the heat shields and it wasn't those.
    We then checked the drive shaft link and there does seem to be a small amount of play and when it's moved with a heavy shove it does rattle a tad. Obviously it's difficult to try and replicate when it's up on a lift.
    Question is ...He wasn't sure if it was just a link or whether there is a 'hidden' part in the casing.
    Anyone have any ideas? Sorry I can't be a smidge more 'technical' !
    PS It doesn't make any noise at all on normal roads.
    PPS Just seen another thread and its not the cats

• Wow you have posted exactly what I was about to report. On the shocking roads and speed humps around my way with the windows down i felt if I shut my eyes (not a good move when driving) I sounding like I was in a scrap metal van with the sound of what appeared to be a lose heat shield etc. I did ask the MOT guy last week to have a look and he reported all was well. Man it bugs me hence my plan to post. Now there are two of use wanting a response!

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Zitat von Lloyd;99938

Wow you have posted exactly what I was about to report. On the shocking roads and speed humps around my way with the windows down i felt if I shut my eyes (not a good move when driving) I sounding like I was in a scrap metal van with the sound of what appeared to be a lose heat shield etc. I did ask the MOT guy last week to have a look and he reported all was well. Man it bugs me hence my plan to post. Now there are two of use wanting a response!

Make that 3!!

Sounds like a loose disc shield or something

• Try tightening the butterfly fixing that holds the amplifier compartment - it needs to be really tight. It took a while to find, but that was the cause of my metallic rattling!

To check if that is the cause, bash the amplifier and see if it rattles.

• Well I had a brief look last night and found my jack unclipped and one of my speakers on the back shelf was loose. Both wedged with cloths as it was raining (Jack clip is loose even when clipped ) and driving it today was much better. You dont get many easier fix's than that. Well I will fix it at the weekend.:top:

On that note can the tray under the batter be removed? I know the exhaust hanger bracket bolts to it? Its just I would like to treat that area to a coat of rust preventation paint etc as water had been trapped in there at some point.

Lloyd

• Zitat von Lloyd;100162

On that note can the tray under the battery be removed? I know the exhaust hanger bracket bolts to it? Its just I would like to treat that area to a coat of rust preventation paint etc as water had been trapped in there at some point.

No, unfortunately it is welded to the body. (This solution is just as good as the 2 batteries... :banghead:)

Cheers,
    Steve

• Lloyd
    Well, actually it can be removed. It just needs a good drilling steel for the spot welds.
    No idea why this is so but there sure is something living below....
    New parts are quite cheap 2x 4112 8108482 @ ca. 20 GBP ea. (they´re black though) and can be welded in easily. This will most likely cost much less of an effort than trying to fix the corrosion problems in situ.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Spent a couple of hours yesterday with the boot empty and all the interior panels and carpet out. I then removed and refitted and re-cable tied everything I could even removing both speakers and re-fitting etc. Today I drove the car to work and it was silent, a real pleasure:cool:.
    But like any hobbie another problem / challenge appears and thats the heater/blower which is now not working. Job for Saturday!

Lloyd

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!