Transfagaran Road, is it really the best driving road in the world ?

• Oh I wouldn't be so sure... It is fantastic, worth driving a few thousand kilometers to see, but The Best ? Not quite...

This year I made also Scotland, as far as to Orkney Islands, but with the other car. Oh, I was so sorry not to have 850 with me... The roads there are so great as well !

I will keep looking for The Ultimate Road...

• Thanks for the great scenery - looks like Transsylvania might be worth a visit with the boot full of garlic :D

Best road? Plenty of those around everywhere. What about WORST?
    Here is my 2012 favourite - on the way to Novgorod (Russia) - main road, only road, best road :laugh:

Below the 2011 highlight - Southern Europe also has roads that leave a bit to desire :harhar:
    Albania, close to the Greek border.

And THE ferry:

As seen only a short while before we made the crossing

Flotsam - (14MB, AVI)

In the meantime the ferryman has saved up for a new chair - maybe a Top Gear donation ;)

Next target: Dakar.. or so :toothbrush:

:winkwink:
    Reinhard

• Pawel
    Brilliant pics -- you have just beaten me to this little jaunt, as a friend of mine and I are off to do this in my CSi in 2 weeks, although we are starting from London.
    Did you drive it both ways, or just West to East (Sibiu - Bucharest). What other recommendations do you have for fun drives nearby?
    Thanks Keith

• Zitat von 330newbie;102528

Pawel
    Brilliant pics -- you have just beaten me to this little jaunt, as a friend of mine and I are off to do this in my CSi in 2 weeks, although we are starting from London.
    Did you drive it both ways, or just West to East (Sibiu - Bucharest). What other recommendations do you have for fun drives nearby?
    Thanks Keith

Ha, so you will have twice as much drive, as I had. I would recommend to take a road via The Alps with the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse, so you will have a comparison:

A few more recommendations, hope could be useful:
    - don't take a road 76 (Oradea-Deva), it's in a horrible condition, but in return gives very nice views and the real Transylvania sights,
    -other main roads in Romania and Hungary are very good, in most cases new
    - recommended hotel in Sibiu: Ana Hotel http://www.booking.com/hotel/r…89a6087278dbe951bca381X12
    - the Transfogaran Road has a number 7C, it's not so easy to find and don't take a main road number 7, which goes parallel 30 km closer to the west
    - leave a hotel early in a morning, after 10 the road will be quite crowded, especially during weekends
    - the really spectacular is a short part, maybe 20 km, so it's better to do that part a few times, and then proceed south direction Pitesti, than to come back next day
    - I came back using the following roads: from Curtea de Arges road 73C, then 67 to Horezu, then very small roads direction Novaci, difficult to follow, because are not shown on navigations, but with nice sights of Carpathians from the south side ( good to see: Horezu Monastyr, it's not in the city, but close to the mountains a little to the east, quite easy to find with road indicators). Then follow road 66 Targu Jiu - Petrosani. Very nice, but not so high.
    There is also a road 67C, famous Transalpina, but it is not covered fully with tarmac, it's rather for suv or 4wd cars.

Romania south of Pitesti and Bucharest neighborhood is really nothing interesting, just an agricultural or industry flatland - not worth visiting at all.

Someone told me there, that my registration number (DWR) translates to the Romanian language as "tough guy" :) It really helped on a road, especially while my car has quite a noisy exhaust. The policemen always turned their heads away and whenever I stopped to ask for directions or sth, people were extremely polite :)

• I'd love to see the pictures but I'm just getting the infamous red "X" showing, are the pics hosted somewhere else?

In the meantime, one of my favourite roads would be the A3, Frankfurt to Cologne through the Taunus Forest - long sweeping bends, nice hills and a fast road, great in the 8, Cologne to Frankfurt direction is my favourite version of this stretch. I doubt it's the best though.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!