Introduction

• Hi 8ers,

Just a quick hello :)

I have been on bummerforum .com for a while now and thought i'd give this site a look. Some very useful information here.

My car is Tristan (tee) old car. It's been parked up pretty much since he sold it.
    BMW Bath refused to admit the engine had a slight ticking noise and so the PO decided to pull it apart and take a look. He found the banjo bolts half way out, luckily no damage was done to the cams.

All the parts were bought to fix the problem. After a short period he lost interest in cars and there it sat until recently. I took me some time to convince him to sell it to me :).

I drilled the banjo bolts and lock wired them in place. Fitted all new lifters, gaskets etc. at first I had a problem with 2 seized fuel pumps. Once I had replaced them it fired int life. I've sorted a few problems out since. A seized ABS motor, replaced corroded AHK hoses, replaced a leaky diff seal, cleaned the DK's, new plugs, caps and rotors.

I decided to delve into the electronic side by fitting 2 EPROM emulators to the DME's. I'm using TunerPro to edit fuel and timing maps. After some initial problems ( only one DME being updated) the car now runs very well. I hope to get it back on the dyno soon.

Right now I'm trying to get the car back to original spec, well as far as I can on the inside. I've removed all the ICE and have sourced a Bavaria professional C setup.....minus the CD changer ( looking to buy one ) I still need a 6 speed gear knob, footwell kick panels and a decent boot carpet set.

I hope I can provide some useful input here in the future .

Simon

• Zitat von omegaman;104889

... I still need a 6 speed gear knob ...
    Simon

Welcome on-board !

The things you described seem pretty standard issues for this car - I had more or less the same on mine. Hopefully, you'll get it all sorted without too much trouble.

The best source for the gearknob is probably the dealer. Not too expensive and it comes with the M stripes on the cap.

The CD changers regularly come up on ebay. You'll need the 'P' version and not the later 'PI', which has i-bus.

• Right, thanks for the tips. Do you know if the CD player has 2 din cable sockets?
    I'm not sure if I need a Y cable to join both din cables together at the cd changer or if it has 2 sockets. Head unit ---CD------RDS unit .

• Hello Simon,
    welcome aboard.

Zitat von omegaman;104892

I'm not sure if I need a Y cable to join both din cables together at the cd changer or if it has 2 sockets.

To hook up a Professional C to the CD-changer you will need yet another interface box. (65128355083 resp. 65128359507) Those have been NLA for a couple of years though so you will need to try your luck on the bay or similar.
    Maybe you find it in the bowels of your car behind one of the boot liners.

Methinks that both DIN plugs go into said interface. The interface outputs with yet another DIN connector towards the CD changer.
    From what I remember great care needs to be taken when connecting to the interface as it seemingly can be destroyed when plugging in the cables the wrong way.

Read up all the gory details in the installation manuals below.

Good luck sourcing the necessary parts!
    Reinhard

• Welcome Omegaman! I see my invitation earlier today was unnecessary..

This site is for me the best 8 resource out there by some way. Its not as thronging as the largely USA .com site, and there isn't the continuous discussions about modifications etc that you may find there (I also think the .com site is useful and informative, however).

What this forum has that all others lack is deep links with our cars culture and historical development, this is not something one can especially detect elsewhere..

And best of all it has a few contributors you won't find elsewhere, whose knowledge about pretty much anything E31 related is quite amazing. When that knowledge is paired with a willingness to go into superb detail..its fantastic.

For example Reinhards threads (and posts on others threads are often a real treat to discover of an afternoon, regularly combining history with technical detail, as well as trivia unknown elsewhere. And Revtor, who came to your aid the other day - well, that is the kind of knowledge I refer to.

I'm so glad we English speakers are not having to rely on poorly Google translated versions of the European E31 boards here, where I imagine one can find even more of that kind of thing.

Lastly, here we also have two superb smileys: :harhar: and :toothbrush:

• Thanks for the info Reinhard. I also found this

You can see this CD changer had 2 inputs, it looks like its the wrong shape to fit the E31 space . I wonder if that junction box is just a T connector.

• Hey BBmatic,

Yes it was your invite that made me write an introduction, thanks :top:

Yes I agree, with Revtors and Reinhards knowledge, I doubt there will ever be an unanswered question here.

• Hey OMEGA.
    I have a box that i dont need and it is from a CSI. It was connected to the radio you have. I will probably just connect my CD43, so I have no need for it ;)
    I will probably in Poland in January, so if you can wait I dont seam to see a problem.

• Although only guessing - picture quality is a bit on the lowfi side - this will likely be the 10x CD Changer which was in use prior to the 6x Selektion/A/P changers (until the end of 1991). Somewhere in the Prof. C manual it is said that the 10x changer can be attached without further ado.

I´d not place a Penny on this only being a Y-junction. BMW is well known to save wherever possible and they surely would not waste an enclosure for nothing ;)
    I´d rather assume that the "whatever" electronics of the interface box also are within that 10x changer.
    See below what that shopping trolley looked like when installed.
    Cheers
    Reinhard

• Zitat von reinhard;104902

Although only guessing - picture quality is a bit on the lowfi side - this will likely be the 10x CD Changer which was in use prior to the 6x Selektion/A/P changers (until the end of 1991). Somewhere in the Prof. C manual it is said that the 10x changer can be attached without further ado.

I´d not place a Penny on this only being a Y-junction. BMW is well known to save wherever possible and they surely would not waste an enclosure for nothing ;)
    I´d rather assume that the "whatever" electronics of the interface box also are within that 10x changer.
    See below what that shopping trolley looked like when installed.
    Cheers
    Reinhard

Maybe the ten disc changer is the way to go for now, thanks for the picture.

• You may wish to install the Bavaria-C for originality. But, have you considered the Blaupunkt CD-43 (Rover-badged versions on ebay for £60), which can take and operate a Connect-2 iPod interface (£50) with just a simple plug-&-play connector, included?

Also, the Becker Traffic Pro or similar (Cascade or DTM or Indianapolis etc) is a worthwhile upgrade with GPS and other features. Even though its illumination may not be a perfect match, it does fit well with the car's interior styling.

In other words, there are many options.

By the way, I think that the 10-disc changer was more or less a standard Sony Unit (with the Sony UnilInk control bus). The vertical (P or Pi) unit was made by Pioneer.

Cables etc here:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.ht…NILINK+XM+RADIO+M+BUS+NEW+

The M-Bus, which applies to the 'P' CD changer and BMW Business RDS Cassette etc, seems to be an Alpine development and info can be found here:

http://www.hohensohn.info/mbus/index.htm

• Hi arnie,

Thanks for the info.

I did consider the rover option. As the car came fitted with the professional C and as the cabling was still present, I figured original would be best. I'd like to get the car back to original spec. I like the wheels and suspension but a huge amp and alloy interior fittings is not my style :)

IMO the 1801 matches the E31 console better than any other radio......I did the big amp and speaker thing 20 years ago :)

As far as iPod/iPhone connectivity goes, I'll probably pull an airport express apart and wire it for 12volts, wireless audio on apple devices works very well.

Cheers

• The Bavaria-C is indeed a nice unit and has the added advantage that no-one will want to break in to the car to pinch a radio-cassette. They are however prone to failing display pixels, as the one I have unfortunately demonstrates.

Just wanted to point out that the main original wiring still comprises of the BMW 17-round-pin radio connector and as such, there are other more modern BMW head units that will 'plug&play'.

I think that the 'Splitter' box you require may actiually be a protocol converter for the 'P' changers which use the M-bus. The 10-disc Sony CD may work directly.

• Yes I think you are correct, I was just looking at the pinouts for the pioneer M series compared to the Sony.

The display on my 1801 is dark at one end, I found some replacement LED's of the correct colour. I'll do a write up on the installation once I've fitted them.

It m ay be a good idea ifi start another thread dedicated to the professional C once I have it all running.

Thanks for your help :top:

Plus Now i have the Becker schematics / service manual so whatever is wrong, I can fix it !

You can see here only 8 of the ten pins on the cd cable connector of the head unit are used

• After looking at the Schematics for the 1801 and the Sony Silverstone 10 disc changer, I can say for sure the cable from the head unit and the cable to the RDS unit run straight through the CD player when its not in use. Once the CD recieves an instruction on the bus it then switches the Line in source off and routes its output to the line out pins of the RDS/Amp. So if the CD is missing you can just connect the pins straight through as follows

From head unit To RDS unit

pin 1 (Line in Left +) pin 1 (Line out left +)
    Pin 2 (Line in ground) pin 2 (Line out ground)
    Pin 3 (Line in Right +) Pin 3 (Line out Right +)
    Pin 4 (Line in Left -) Pin 4 (Line out left -)
    Pin 5 (Line in Right -) Pin 5 (Line out Right -)
    Pin 6 (Data bus- ) Pin 6 (Data Bus-)
    Pin 7 (Data bus +) Pin 7 (Data Bus+)
    Pin 8+ pin 9 (ground/shield) Pin 8+9(ground/shield)

And the connector at the back of the headunit BE1801 pinout is like this

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!