Steering Part???

• MOT failed! I've been busy so my wife took the car. They weren't specific about what was wrong, just that a 'joint' was broken on something to do with the steering. She took it to a tyre shop and got them to take photos of what was wrong. They said it's not a joint, it's this rod. Can someone let me know what part that is. They're going to price it up for me, but I want to check myself as Chus, The Spanish 8 president, has put me in touch with a dealer that'll give me discount.

Cheers, Ivan

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/17767/

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/17768/

• This is the center tie rod of the steering linkage.
    It does not literally break "just so" or upon normal use.

The off side ball joint holding the pitman arm has been known to wear along with the rubber bushing of the pitman arm itself.

Replacement items:
    1138856 (center tie rod) @ 126 EUR plus taxes
    1136452 (pitman arm rubber bushing) @ 15 EUR plus

Good luck with the workshop...
    Cheers
    Reinhard

• Hello All,

I was hoping that http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rep-Satz-Spur...item5646448560 would fit the E31, but Timm has pointed out to me it doesn't. Another good reason to be subscribed to this site as it was a mechanic that actually said the E32 and E31 had the same setup!!!
    Anyway, as per previous, car has failed it's ITV (MOT) because of steerage play, and three different mechanics cannot ascertain what actually needs replacing to fix the problem. The kit looked ideal as I do not want to change the parts piecemeal having to everytime have the alignment re-done. Has anyone seen similiar kits pout there for the E31. I don't want to spend the money necessary to replace everything at BMW prices.

Regards,

Ivan

01/1994 E31 840i M60 European LHD automatic, prod code EF61

• Hi Ivan!
    The Parts look like as the ones from e32.. but e31 parts do have stronger bushes.. and the center tie rod is longer ;)
    so if you use e32 parts (exept Center tie Rod) they will be worn out earlier!

Use aftermarket Meyle HD & Lemförderer (alu) parts specified for E31! and you will be satisfied!
    (BMW originals are also from Meyle and Lemförderer.. )

Cheap parts of the bay often means short satisfaction!(had this with a ball joint.. )
    and.. double costs of work.. :)
    You drive an E31.. not an E32 ;)

Steerage play can be worn out bushes (like Reinhard described) and of course from the power steering itself
    (there is a screw to correct the play of the balljoint)

@ Reinhard... die Überwurfmutter am Lenkgestänge kann er doch auch mal kontrollieren oder? (bitte um Übersetzung ;) )

Greeting
    Richard

Alle sagten es geht nicht, bis einer kam der das nicht wusste und es einfach machte...:winkwink:

• Hi Ivan, before you go buying any parts make sure you tighten the the bolt that attaches the pitman arm to the steering box. Part #11 below.

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/21957/

You can get to this without removing anything, you just need a spanner. The other thing to try is tightening the adjuster on the steering box itself. You just need to remove the heatshield (#15 below) then you can tighten the adjuster that is the screw and locking nut on the top of the box. Make small adjustments (1/4 of a turn at a time) and make sure you don't over-tighten otherwise the steering will start to bind and you'll trash the box.

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/21958/

If neither of these two things help, the most common part to wear out if the idler arm bearing, which is #15 in the first diagram. You can buy the bearing but it's a pain to fit, or the complete arm for £30 ish. eBay is OK, but make sure you buy from a trusted resller (like GSF Car Parts that sell through eBay) or a known brand like Meyle.

• Do be careful if you adjust the screw on the top of the box, it is very tricky to get right and causes quite unpleasant steering feel even with very mild over-tightening.

• Thanks all,

Yeah, I guess you are right. Sometimes you need to just bite the bullet. I'll go OEM or equivalent Meyle and Lemförderer. I'm going to change the centre tie-rod and steering arm (no.14) and take it from there. Just one question, should a decent mechanic be able to ascertain exactly what needs changing because of the play? i ask, 'cause three different mechanics that have had a look don't seem to sure, except 'thinking' that the centre tie rod is probably the main cause.

Ivan

01/1994 E31 840i M60 European LHD automatic, prod code EF61

• The answer is yes, a decent mechanic should be able to tell you if one or more of your steering components is faulty. With the car on a lift and someone moving the steering and someone under the car it should be pretty obvious what's wrong. Don't just throw money at it, as you may change those two parts and still have the problem. My sloppy steering was due to a loose bolt, and I'd already replaced the idler arm, and had a new steering box sitting in the garage. It's easy to buy parts, but get it properly diagnosed first.

• Yes Nick, I still have the box on the shelf. I bought it to cure a steering knock and fluid leak. I found my steering knock problem was slight play in the universal joint between the column and the box, and leak mysteriously fixed itself!!

Still I am happy to have a model-specific part on the shelf. Now if I could just find a seal kit for a single vane power steering pump I would have one of those spare too! :top:

• I had a knocking in my steering when going over bumpy roads (e.g. cobbles) - I tightened the nut on the steering column where the two parts of the column slide into each other (remove trim panel under the steering wheel). The nut is large and requires some force to turn it. I just adjusted it a little at a time and kept moving the electrical steering adjustment in and out to ensure it was not restricted. Cost: Nothing. Problem: Solved.

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!