Brake Pad change

• Hello All,

As per a different thread, my brake warning light comes on under hardish braking but no accompanying OBC fault. I thought I'd check out the brakes today as had spare time. The brake pads are pretty much shod (see photo), cannot understand why the brake pad sensors didn't warn of this earlier? Also, getting some horrendous noise and binding when turning the wheel!!! I've attached video of the one side, but the other side was only slightly less as bad!
    I need to order pads and sensors; must they be BMW? Any how-to's knocking about describing how to change the pads as I've never done it before? There seems to be plenty discussion on upgrading etc., but nothing simply explaining how to change the pads?
    Any and all help appreciated.
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/21302/

[video=youtube_share;lFwD_iArlxc]

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/media]
    [video=youtube_share;SmzykvchZTo]
    Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/media]

Regards,

Ivan

• Have a look at the inside of the disk - it always seems to be the inside pistons that get stuck on the calliper, and they cause an uneven wear pattern and noise:

• I'm sure someone will chip in with some good technical advice. I have done this on other cars and it is generally quite straightforward, the bleeding is a bit of a process I believe though. If you do it without advice, take plenty of photos at each stage in the dismantling so you can reverse the procedure. Have you pushed back the callipers to see if the binding and squealing is still present? If it is a binding calliper, check the diagonal rear one as well to rule out the master cylinder.

Good luck

• Dudu, gracias por la informacion. Oscaro tiene precios muy buenos.

Timm, been reading posts regards sticking calipers etc.!!! At this point, I just want to put some new shoes on and see how it pans out. Either which way, it's going to need to be done. I'm surprised you don't have a how-to on your site?

Nifty, no takers yet unfortunately. I haven't pushed back the calipers as don't know how to. Need to read more. The other front wheel is the same, but didn't check the back wheels. If they're turning ok, does that rule out the master cylinder being the problem? If I were to push back the caliper, surely it won't bind or squeal, or am I missing something fundamental.

One final question. How do I tell if my brakes are ATE or Brembo system? It's a Jan '94 model.

01/1994 E31 840i M60 European LHD automatic, prod code EF61

• There might be other ways to do it but if you tease a screwdriver between the pad and disc you should feel the piston recede slightly, enough to free the wheel. I have known a nasty squeal to be caused from a stone, twig or other debris wedged against the disc. The master cylinder works in diagonals so if left front is binding so will right rear and vice versa.

Wish I could help more, someone will help as Sundays are often quiet.

Cheers
    Graham

• Thanks Mick.

That is exactly what I was looking for. Not ever doing a brake-pad change I didn't have a clue what was fixed to what and how. Checking out the shoe replacement video, it looks pretty straight forward. Actually looking forward to getting the job done now. Just worried what I might find wrong regards calipers, bomb, or master cylinder:pray:.
    It looks a pretty good site with loads of 'easy' how-to's. I didn't think of looking at anything that was not specifically 8 series intended. I need to widen my scope.

Apreciated. Once again 8er comes through.

Ivan

• It's a relatively simple job but be prepared that it's a dirty one.
    Brake dust is all over the parts and it should be cleaned off.
    Even if it's obvious: try not to inhale it. ;)

BTW: I would recomend to stick to BMW Parts.
    I made the mistake and bougth pads for the rear from Ferrodo (which had a good name a couple of years ago here).
    The spring which holds the pad in Place broke a couple of months later and it became very noisy.

Good Luck,
    Steve

• Thanks Steve.

Unfortunately, I also thought Ferrodo were a decent brand and so have ordered rear Ferrodos which are on the way! Will have to suck it and see. Budget available for the 8 is tight right now and BMW were twice as much as ATE/Ferrodo combo. I'm basically looking to get a year out of the brake set up I'm doing now, which brings me to my next question. The rotors have some wear on them. What's the permissable tolerances of wear i.e. minimum rotor thickness etc. bearing in mind the car is driven rather normally?
    Incidentally, the squealing as shown in the video has gone??? Despite the noise that was though, the brakes appeared to be functioning properly beforehand. I do have to pump the brake pedal about twenty times before it 'hardens'. That's with the ignition on but engine off.
    Hopefully, the new pads and bits'll get here by the weekend. Going to be a busy one. Have to change belts (arrived), valve cover gaskets and Dowty seals (due now) and brake pads.

Regards,

Ivan

Ivan

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!