MID Not Working

• I found one of the bulbs on my MID was not working so decide to replace them all. Brand-new bulbs in and guess what? - None of them illuminate!! AARRGGH! :banghead:

I have checked and re-checked the bulbs and they are fine (continuity check across the contacts). The only thing showing when I turn on the ignition is the clock/date section. Nothing else is showing - any suggestions or has it decided to die.:help:

Also, can the car be driven OK without the MID connected?:hmmmm:

Just to add: I have replaced the fuse to the instrument displays. You can see the MID pixels (just) and they are all showing OK - it is just the background illumination that won't work and I don't know how to strip this unit down to check internal connections.

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• I've checked the bulbs - definitely 12V, 1.2W. It seems that there is no 12V power to the two metal rails that the bulb contact bridge when they are twisted into position.

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• Maybe you bent a pin in the connector. Sometimes this type of connector pushes the pins through once they are slightly misaligned. Magnifying glass will help.

Else you´ll probably have to send the MID out to have it fixed.

Fingers x-ed!
    Reinhard

• Zitat von anguswolfendale;111940

Just to add: I have replaced the fuse to the instrument displays. You can see the MID pixels (just) and they are all showing OK - it is just the background illumination that won't work and I don't know how to strip this unit down to check internal connections.

First of all check the connector on the back of the multi-information display (MID) for bent pins or corrosion. If that's okay, make sure the plug is properly seated. Before inserting the plug you must open the latch to its furthest position - if you don't the plug will not sit down all the way and not all pins may make proper contact.

If you wish to open the MID you can follow the instructions in multi-information display pixel repair, but do not take apart the display and its support structure - the flexible flat cable between display and printed circuit board is fragile and any stress on it may give you dead pixels.

• I have checked the pins and these are all present. The bulb behind the clock/date section is illuminated when I turn on the ignition. I can see the pixels (just about) and they are all present. INformation changing as I press the different buttons.

When I press any of the information buttons(e.g. range), the back-light bulbs do not illuminate. I have swapped the bulb from behind the clock/date with one of the other bulbs and the information back-light bulbs still do not illuminate when a button is pressed. I have therefore ruled out the bulbs as being at fault. It appears that the trigger from pressing one of the information buttons is not causing the back-light bulbs to illuminate - any ideas anyone? Is it something inside the MID or is there an external control/relay/switch/fuse that reacts when an information button is pressed to give power to the illumination bulbs?

I understand/remember that the status of the unit when the ignition is switched off is unlit (apart from clock), and only lights up when a button is pressed?

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• There are three bulbs for the general display area and one for the clock - if one of the three bulbs has an internal short none of them will illuminate. Try removing all three general display bulbs and then move the clock bulb into one of the general display positions. If that bulb illuminates then one of the three is faulty.

• Unfortunately that didn't work. The reason I took the MID out was to replace one bulb (nearest to glove box) that had blown. All the others were working OK.
    Like a fool - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" - I decided to replace all the bulbs. Now only the Clock/Date location will light up a bulb.
    If I put a confirmed (tested) working bulb in any of the other display slots they won't light up. I don't understand this, as looking inside (as best I can) it appears the metal strips that supply the power to the bulbs appear to be powering the bulbs in parallel, not in series. Therefore if one bulb was blown, the others would still be lit (as was the original problem).

However, if I recall correctly, the MID display section doesn't light up until one of the info buttons is pressed - therefore there is something (switch/relay) that determines when power goes to these bulbs. I have contacted the "pixel Repair" guys on Ebay, but they only do just that - replace the pixel strip and any blown bulbs.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

UPDATE:
    I purchased four new bulbs form BMW £4.80 Each!! - Again, the bulb behind the clock illuminates but the other three do not. The voltage across the metal strips supplying these bulbs is a constant 9.6Volts, when the ignition is switched on. The voltage doesn't change when any of the information buttons are pressed. I've checked the connector plug and the wiring into it, all seems fine.
    Does this give a pointer to what the problem could be? :help:

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• Is there an electronics engineer amongst us? I am still trying to find the problem with my MID. IF it is a simple component failure, then maybe I can save myself some money. The attached picture shows the MID without the rear cover. I have determined the layout of the earth and 12V live feeds to the bulbs. The metal rails that the bulbs secure against are soldered into the PC board, marked on the picture. There appears to be a transistor "gating" the live feed to the bulbs behind the MID display. I presume this is "switched" when you press any information buttons. If I shunt a live feed to this rail - all the bulbs illuminate, so the bulbs are fine. Can anyone assist? :help:

Incidentally, only the pins on the Left of the input socket are used. The PCB shows connection points for an input socket on the other end of the board. I have wondered if the MID from the 3 Series (looks the same form the front) would fit. Although it has two input sockets on the rear, I wondered if It would work with only the socket on the RHS used (RHS looking forwards to front of car).

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/22655/

• There has to be a reason why the transistor failed (if that is the problem) - is there a chance that one of the bulbs shorted the tracks? Can you see any writing on the transistor? It should be possible to test if the transistor has failed, there are a couple of ways:

While it is working - use a meter between 0V and the middle pin of the transistor - press any button and see if the voltage changes
    While it is disconnected - use the diode-checking facility on the meter and probe the middle pin (with the red probe) and then probe the outer legs (with the black probe) and take down readings. Then do the same with the probes reversed and take down the readings. Let us know what the readings are!

I would be happy to look at it for you if you don't feel confident fiddling with it.

• Timm,
    That's really helpful and supportive. I am no electronics expert - I would be happy to post it to you. Please PM me your address. Cheers!

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• Maybe a static charge killed the transistor? Anyway, I agree with Timm: check the voltage on the transistor's base (middle lead) with the display off and (supposedly) on. If there's a considerable voltage change between display on and off (like 0 and 5 V for example), the transistor is broken and you're in for a cheap fix. Or just send the unit to Timm... :)

Zitat von anguswolfendale;112109

Incidentally, only the pins on the Left of the input socket are used. The PCB shows connection points for an input socket on the other end of the board. I have wondered if the MID from the 3 Series (looks the same form the front) would fit. Although it has two input sockets on the rear, I wondered if It would work with only the socket on the RHS used (RHS looking forwards to front of car).

Despite the similar looks the E31 and E36 MID are completely different units and not exchangeable.

• Just like to publicly thank Timm for sorting out my MID - He determined that the problem was as suspected in my photo-post - the transistor had blown. This is what this website community is all about - a God's send for those keeping these cars alive and running. Thank you!

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• It was my pleasure. The transistor was a standard bipolar ZTX651 - so should have been immune to a static discharge. My guess is that a bulb had an internal short and took it out (base-emitter short was found). Good fun to work with standard-mount stuff for a change, we have been all surface-mount for 20 years now, good job I kept all the old components though, I had a ZTX651 in stock!

• This exact same thing happened to me. I was installing a new bulb and the bulb socket shorted out on the two rails. No more lights. That transistor looks really small!

• Zitat von Timm;113202

It was my pleasure. The transistor was a standard bipolar ZTX651 - so should have been immune to a static discharge. My guess is that a bulb had an internal short and took it out (base-emitter short was found). Good fun to work with standard-mount stuff for a change, we have been all surface-mount for 20 years now, good job I kept all the old components though, I had a ZTX651 in stock!

Used to sell the old ZTX 651 ....Does anyone still make them or can you substitute for say a BC suffux? Ferranti I seem to recall!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!