• :hmmmm: Hi all, Can anyone explain, or has had experience of, their ABS light coming on from start up and when I checked it not working. After stopping, cutting the ignition leaving for about 30 seconds and restarting, everything has been fine and working as it should ? Its got me baffled.:dontknow:

• Zitat von Superstarr840;115172

:hmmmm: Hi all, Can anyone explain, or has had experience of, their ABS light coming on from start up and when I checked it not working. After stopping, cutting the ignition leaving for about 30 seconds and restarting, everything has been fine and working as it should ? Its got me baffled.:dontknow:

Yes, have the same thing on my 840.
    I had a readout of error codes of the ABS, expensive... and my front right ABS sensor came up with fault, swapped it with a new one, expensive...
    drove a few weeks/months, (don't remember) then it was the same again...
    Sorry i can't help you... maybe someone can help us both..

it's not how many miles on a tank,
    but how many smiles;-)

Svein

1993 840ci/6 Supercharger

• If the ABS light illuminated before you started to move, the most likely cause is the pump that is fitted to the ABS block. Diagnostics would certainly help, especially as with INPA, you can check the pump operation. I had a bit of luck cleaning the connector on my old 840ci as detailed here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com…hp?1875275-ABS-light-help

....but my Mora 840ci needed the ABS block replaing

• Have you found the problem yet?

The usual cause of what you describe, as Timm has highlighted, is the ABS pump motor. Its location makes it susceptible to dirt, mud and rain.

The motor can be overhauled, but easier to sawp the motor or the whole hydraulic unit with one from an e39: 1996 - 2000 (after 2000, ABS system changed model).

The other cause could be water or moisture in your passenger door sill, which is where the control unit resides. If you had a windscreen replaced, check for water leaks.

• No arnie, still the same...

I had my whole hydraulic unit with the motor changed, it was from a e34, dont remember what year..
    I also bought a "new" control unit, but no change..

but how many smiles;-)

Svein

• Check the wiring loom in the inner wheel well going to the ABS pump, it may look ok on the face of it but pull back some of the insulator where it bends slightly as it exits the wheel well toward the front of the car and you may find a broken or corroded wire. Key word may but it’s worth a shot.

Got any codes?

Chad

• I checked this, the wires looks ok..

Then i took out the ASC control unit, opend it and there was corrosion inside it. I cleaned it with electro cleaner and a tooth brush.
    It got better, but still comes and goes..
    I then opend it again, cleand it ones more, and now everything works fine :top:

For years i have driven with this, finally its not a issue anymore!!

but how many smiles;-)

Svein

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!