ABS ASC+T Light On Return Pump Troubleshooting

• Hi all,

BMW 840Ci 1994 10800 km

I have the ABS and ASC+T lights on as some of you have had as seen while searching the topic.
    Thing is, the lights are not on when starting. They come on after rolling a few meters.
    I've read the fault code and it states "15 faulty ABS return pump".
    I've also cleaned the wheel sensors to no help.

Any pointers in how and were to proceed from here are greatly appreciated?
    I've read about ABS pump relays, fuses, pump refurbishing and don't know where to start off to be honest.
    Can I blindly trust the fault code and start looking for a working pump or are there possibly something else which can be the problem?

Best regards,

Thomas

• That's pretty much 100% evidence that it is the return pump - the other likely cause is the wheel sensors - but they would throw a code, and you don't have one for them!

• Thanks for your reply Timm!

Can a faulty relay for the pump throw that fault code?
    Any fuses to check before ordering a new pump?
    Something else to check?

Regards

• As far as I remember, The ABS module checks the voltage actually at the pump - but, check Fuse 65 in the Auxiliary Relay Box - it is on LH front wing under the bonnet, right above where the ABS block is

• I had issues with my pump as well. I knocked on it a couple of times with a screw driver and ever since it works again. (Knock on wood...)
    It seats in an area where it gets a lot of water and dirt.
    Here is a tutorial how to overhaul the ABS Block.
    I actually bought one used ABS Block from an E39 for cheap (check the part number) and put it aside for the time my one gives up.
    (In E38 and E39 the ABS block is located in a dry, "safe" place.)
    With some hassle (bumper needs to be removed) you can change only the pump or the whole ABS Block, but then you have to get the air out of it which is a lot of hassle and needs DIS or GT1.

Cheers,
    Steve

• Change first the relais on the pomp I suggest, there may be a fault there....

E31, the road to go!:winkwink:
    Dick
    President BMW Club E31 Nederland
    President BMW 8er Clubs International(B8CI)
    President Federatie Nederlandse BMW Clubs(FNBC)
    President BMW Auto Clubs Nederland(BACN)

• I've tested the relays and they are fine.
    I've setup a computer with INPA/EDIABAS and DIS/GT1.
    Now I'm waiting for the mailman to arrive with my ADS interface/cable.
    I suspect I have to exchange the pump and I have located a few, not too costly replacement pumps.
    Still, I will run the sequence from DIS and actuate the valves before attempting to replace the pump. I heard some got their units working by excercising them.

In the meantime I prepare for the exchange..
    What fluid is used for the abs system? Is it the same as in the brake system? It states "mineral oil" in the repair manual and for the normal brake system "brake fluid".
    Also, in the repair manual it states that you have to use some kind of device which builds up pressure (max 2bar) and supplies fresh fluid to the reservoir. I guess that device can be substituted with a person who make sure the reservoir doesn't get empty and introduce air to the system right?

Regards

• Yes, brake fluid for the ABS system - it is all part of the brake system. Use INPA to open the valves when bleeding the brakes initially, then close all valves for the final bleed - I believe that this can be done as a procedure in DIS.

• Pictures taken from the repair manual

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/27628/
    This is the charge/fill unit I was refering to earlier. I guess you can substitute this unit with pressing the brake pedal and make sure the reservoir doesn't get empty?

Also, I'm a bit confused about following. See highlighted from the brakes section.

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/27629/
    It seems that there is a separate "mineral oil" circuit in the brake system, or is it refering to the older variant of ABS ASC+T system? It states in the section for ABS/ASC+T that it's for cars manufactured 1994 and newer.

• Old tread that seems to have a few questions not closed yet , and since I am wondering about the same i'm putting it back to life :winkwink:

Also wondering about bleeding the whole system as I did drain it all , Pentosin and brake fluid while replacing all pipes under the car.
    Can this procedure be done with DIS ?

Anyone tried this before , please trow some light on the topic

Regards
    Terje

• Well I just tested and found out what happen :harhar:

When opening the bleeder there was pressure behind even without car running , a lot of bubbles and foam came out then pressure was gone.
    Started the car and continued until no bubbles and foam was present

Using a brake bleeder and pretty straight forward , guess it should be done whenever emptying the Pentosin system and filter replacement.

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/29600/

• DIS has a special procedure to bleed the ABS block. Do you have DIS on your PC/notebook Terje?
    I have to do it soon on my 850i and could probably take some screenshots if you like.

Cheers
    Wolf

• Zitat von wokke;125146

DIS has a special procedure to bleed the ABS block. Do you have DIS on your PC/notebook Terje?
    I have to do it soon on my 850i and could probably take some screenshots if you like.

Cheers
    Wolf

Yes please do some screen shot's :top: need to learn myself

Thanks
    Terje

• Yes please wokke, take screenshots of the process because I've been unable to locate the ABS/ASC+T bleeding functionality in DIS. It might depend on the model of ABS module but as far as I know there are only two ASC+T modules for the M70/S70: 34 52 1 158 804 and 34 52 1 159 494 with a changeover around mid 1990. I know for certain that the first one cannot be diagnosed by DIS/INPA at all (only stomp codes) and the second one also seems to be from another era with regards to diagnostics. DIS is only able to read and clear fault codes and retrieve the "BB number" (serial or model number I guess). No other functionality is present. Same with INPA...

• I think the ability to diagnose the ABS depends on the manufacturer. I'm currently having the issue on a 01/93 850CSi where the bleeder function of DIS doesn't work.
    DIS reports TEVES as the manufacturer of the ABS system. I haven't yet checked if this is true or another screw up in this car packed with surpríses.
    The functionality as such is on the very end of all diagnosable module (IIRC page 3) of DIS. I never found anything similar in INPA at all but admit that I also never looked for it in there.

I may get a chance to take some screenshots today. If not for sure after the Hockenheim meeting this weekend.

• Oh I see... It's under "[56] ABS/ASC TESTER" instead of "[50] ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS)". Strangely this diagnostic program (56) does not show up after performing the short test (which I usually do to get rid of modules not installed in my car) so I never noticed it. I have yet to test with the car connected so I do not yet know whether it actually works...

• Now I also got curious , might have to fire up my laptop as well.
    But I seemed to have bleed the brakes good now , but had to do it twice to get pedal hard as it seemed good and the got soft the first time ( assuming some air was trapped in the ABS block )

The bleeder in the engine compartment is bleeding the ASC-T block and it's pentosin coming out.

Regards
    Terje

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!