General issues with my 8er

• COIPY OF MY POST ON ROADFLY ... greatful for any help you guys can offer

1) Wheel Cleaning
    My car came with cross bolted spoke alloys - which are difficult to keep clean. Any tips on how to keep brake dust off them and help keep them cleaner for longer ?

2) Wind noise
    I have read a lot about torn window seals etc but mine seem to be OK, and yet I still note some wind noise at higher speeds.
    I am not sure how quiet the car should be - I know this is a subjective issue, but should I expect near silence ?

3) Rear side window
    One of the rear side windows doesn't quite lower all the way. It remains about 10mm above the seals. Is there a quick way to reset this ?

4) BMW Extended Warranty.
    As the car has always been servioced by BMW main dealers I was able to extend the warranty.

5) Anti Corrosion.
    The car is 6 years and 3 months old. I was wondering what the BMW dealers would say about the small (less than 10mm square) rust spot on boot lid- just below light - as it surely didnt start to rust AFTER 6 years - simply the previous owner didnt bother to get it fixed.

6) Sun roof
    The rear edge of sunroof sits about 5mm below the roof level. I have read the posts about resets but this doesn't seem to work. Anyone had a dealer fix this for free ?

7) and finally ....
    Thanbks for your time guys - look forward to taking an active role in the forum now I have my very own 8er !!!

Happy New Year

Ian.

• Welcome to the Club!!

Have you tried Syncronizing your windows? Someone may have suggested it on Roadfly already but. Open each window and then close it again but hold the button until you either hear an audible click or about 15 seconds.

Both of my rear side windows show about 10mm of glass above the seals when fully open. Do both of yours close to the same point? Windnoise?

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Ian, I can,nt wait for the replies to come flooding in, Just picked up a 840 ci Sport today from Guildford and drove up to Leamington Spa. My wheels are standard not as yours I was advised that the cross spoked ones are a b---r to keep clean especially in our country, ok stateside. Hav,nt noticed a great deal of wind or road noise as was playing Queen very loud LOL I will give it a good check on Sunday. My windows seem to be ok but I have a light on the shift control that stays on in parked situation. I have a very big smile on my face after todays driving. My previous car was a Volvo S80 T5

• Wheels:-
    I have been advised that Turtle Wax for Wheels may be a way to keep the brake dust off them and help keep them clean.

I've spent 3 hours today cleaning the wheels and will wax them tomorrow.

I'll hopefully get some pictures of the car up on the site soon - but with the weather in Glasgow right now - you'll be lucky to see the car trough the rain / sleet / fog.

Windows

My passenger side rear window is the one which stays up about 10mm above body when open - so maybe the driver side one needs to do that too ?

I'll try resetting tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Alastair
    Congratulations on the new car ....
    Count the number of times you take a peek out of the window at your new car - or if you can't see it from your window - how many times you think of it over the next few days.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Turtle wax for the wheels??
    i have 18inch M5 wheels and they drive me crazy, no way to keep these
    things clean so maybe i gotta try turtle wax..
    its hard when you got no time to clean them every week

• Frank,

The product I used is called Turtle Wax for Wheels.

It is a polymer based liquid wax which is very easy to put on.

Apparently it stops brake dust and dirt sticking as much.

Ian.

• Welcome

Hi Ian, I am in Ayr, and run a 1991 850i. I have never met another owner since I got mine in July.

I have had many minor problems, and find this forum and roadfly invaluable.

Have fun and good luck.

• Hi Robin,

My Sales Director lives in Alloway and I come up that way regularly for meetings with him.

Perhaps we can arrange to meet up - do you have any pictures of your car ?

Ian

• Re: General issues with my 8er

Zitat von Ian Downie

2) Wind noise
    I have read a lot about torn window seals etc but mine seem to be OK, and yet I still note some wind noise at higher speeds.
    I am not sure how quiet the car should be - I know this is a subjective issue, but should I expect near silence ?

Got a similar problem
    Went to BMW, and they fixed my problem for free with a simple reinitialisation of the windows..

Zitat von Ian Downie

3) Rear side window
    One of the rear side windows doesn't quite lower all the way. It remains about 10mm above the seals. Is there a quick way to reset this ?

Both of my rear side windows remain about 10mm above the seals

Zitat von Ian Downie

7) and finally ....
    Thanbks for your time guys - look forward to taking an active role in the forum now I have my very own 8er !!!

Happy New Year

Ian.

You have a wonderful car, I'm glad to have you here :P

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!