HELP ME IN THE UK

• :o:o I have purchased a 1998 840Ci Sport Auto with 26000 mls a one owner vehicle and me, with full BMW service history. I picked up 840 on 3rd Jan and drove 180mls to my home in the Midlands, no problems car running like a dream. Arrived home took my partner out for a ride she fell in love with it. Monday morning drove to work approximately 25mls away no problems, no problems on the return so did 200mls :evil::evil: untill Friday when a problem arose. Motorway driving went to use kickdown and noticed a slight loss of power and did,nt respond as normal. Off motorway onto access road uphill to roundabout pulled up foot on brake. Weather very wet .Problem 840 juddered as though there was a misfire I was only 1 mile from my office.
    840 left in office car park untill 1200hrs car started ok and appeared to run ok, I left early to get to my local BMW dealer in Leamington Spa. 2 miles from home had the same problem but this time worse. This problem only happens when gears are engaged. Approximately 1 mile from home No power engine just ticking over managed to get home total loss of power. Started engine in normal way no problems.
    Due to the total lack of engine I called out the AA as I did,nt want the same thing to happen on the way to Garage. AA comment was. "Sounds like you,v got a Cat gone there mate. I hope bloody not said I there £600 each.
    AA followed me to garage no problems.
    BMW Garage put 840 on ramp to check Cats. Thank God all ok.
    Put vehicle on computer reported that no problems showed up.
    I explained that this problem only appeared when car is being driven engine appears ok when running static.
    840 off road untill Monday when they are going to run car and do a computer check on vehicle whilst in motion.
    There, folks is my Problem. I cannot drive a vehicle no matter how expensive if its going to fail like that. I need my faith restoring.
    :o:o Has anybody had a similar problem.
    I think its its a fuel flow problem. But, Iam not an expert. I will no more on Monday, But, if they tell me theirs nothing wrong I do have a real problem because I did,nt imagine it. I will wait untill Monday. In the meantime HELP

• Alasdair

Have you read my thread under 'Repair & Maintenance' headed 'Misfire on using kickdown'? There seems to be some similarities.

After the obvious initial checks i.e. fuel filters, fuel line kinks, plugs, fuses, dirty petrol etc. the next place to look is at the coils. If still no joy then have the injectors checked, including 'O' Rings.

One possibility is your car's unusually low mileage for it's age. It has obviously spent a lot of it's life garaged and, if this is combined with a history of gentle treatment, all sorts of problems can thow up when it's suddenly given the gun! When was it last serviced? Maybe a full service now would iron out the gremlins. Don't be put off - once you've got it right you will be rewarded with the best possible driving experience. :D

I hope you'll be lucky and find that changing the fuel filters and a full service will prove sufficient.

Regards

John

• Do you have BMW warranty ?

I am having problems with mine at moment - it seems to pulse when acclearting under certain conditions. This feels like fuel starvation but apparnetly could also be Cats ?

I've got the Warranty and car booked in for next week.

Keep us posted with the results and I'll let you know what they say about my car.

Ian.

• Help

Ian and John, thanks for the reply. My Warranty is with Warranty Holdings Full Gold Cover my BM dealer is ok about it. The word you use is a better discription "Pulse" The engine gets an iregular heart beat and then stops similar to a heart attack. LOL OK so mines has had a stroke hope it gets fixed on Monday or I know what the problem is. Will post all action.
    TTFN

• Hi Alasdair,

I bought my car from a non-BMW dealer who gave me a free Gold Warranty from Warranty Holdings. I was made aware of a couple of shortcomings of the is warranty in that 1) it only pays NATIONAL labour rate - which means it will not cover BMW rates !! leaving you with a shortfall if you want a dealer to fix your car and 2) the warranty only covers fixing the problem - leaving you to pay fopr the diagnosis element.
    Also, the old "Wear & Tear" clause is used a lot !!

Asa consequence and as my car had a valid BMW warranty I took the precaution (£650) of extending the BMW warranty for another year.

I still have the WH policy active (as it was free) and would turn to this if ever BMW let me down.

• Help

Ian, I tried to get the BMW warranty extended. but the previous owners had let it lapse. So Iam stuck with Warranty Holdings. I understand all your comments regarding labour rates and costs. My present thoughts at present are to get the car fixed so I can use it each day. If this is not the case and the problem persists and the 8 becomes unreliable I will have to think what my plans will be. I need a reliable car for bussiness use and getting to the office 25mls away without having to worry about the engine packing up. As you can tell Ian I am a bit pissed off :evil::evil::evil: at the moment. I am hoping Monday will be better. I will keep you posted.

• Help

A quick up-date. Car in Garage 12th January 2004. Had all tests with the exception of the Road Run with computer on board. Latest report to me was that on the return journey to the garage 8 completely stopped firing on all but 2 cylinders. At least it has happened to someone else other than me. They disconected the Air flow meter which has a fault. A new airflow meter is on order and they inform me when fitted things should be OK. We will see on Tuesday when hopefully it should be fixed.
    Furhter report to follow for interested parties. I am still p___ed off. But getting better.

• help

BMW rates as you Know £75.00 per hour WHL rates £28.00 per hour WHL need to get into the real world. Air Flow meter about £200 quids plus fitting.Interesting that the engine packed up when they were test driving it, thats anti sods law if you get the drift.
    TTFN
    PS has anybody had problems uploading pics can,nt get mine to upload. Mind you its probably me I only use my pc for mega architectural drawings and its only XP Pro. LMFAO

• Help

The Saga continues !!!! Its not the Air Flow Meter. A cat has gone. At least we know its external to the EMU. Funny thing thats what the AA said when I explained the problem to them last friday. The Garage unfortunatly did,nt think is was the Cat but now it is. Lets hope we are correct this time. 1 Cat inc vat £600.00p. Not covered under warranty so supplying dealer is going to get a nice Bill. It would appear other cat is OK ????? We will have to wait and see. Funny how ones gone but not the other.

• Where did you buy car from ?

Presumably non BMW dealership ?

Wil the dealer cover cost of new cat ?

If so might be worth getting the BMW dealership to say both have gone - as it would seem logical that the other one won't be far behind ???

Keep us posted.

Ian.

PS apparently cats not covered by BMW warranty either

• Alasdair,

Here's my thinking ...

BMW warranty covers most things although things that are supposed to be changed periodic replacement.

I saw on Roadfly an instance where BMW replaced cats under warranty... chhttp://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e31/forum.php?postid=821253&page=1

My argument would be this..

There MUST be a lifetime on cats. (+/- a few thousand miles) If they go before this then that is NOT wear and tear - that is FAILURE. Therefore in your low mileage car - you COULD claim - even against the WH warranty.

I would doubt that BMW would say that Cats should last less than 25K miles so you MIGHT have a case ?

Ian

• Help

Ian, Non BMW dealership. Has agreed to pay for replacment cat. BMW Garage has applied to HQ for adjustment to cost as low milage of vehicle and failure of part that is not fit for purpose. I am happy thats is not an internal engine problem. At present its not going to cost me a thing other than using my partners car. Like you my future concern is if one goes the other will not be far behind. But however if BMW reinburse at least 50% or all of replacement cat and the the other cat goes shortly after I should still be OK, I will wait and see.
    Keep you posted.
    Alasdair.

• Help

No indication of antisipated life of cat but I would assume it must be longer than 25k mls. Ive told them to get on with it. They have applied for cost reduction due to age and milage.
    Will keep you posted.
    Alasdair

• Help

THE SAGA ENDS. I hope!!!!
    :D:D:D:D:D
    Ian and to all helpfull replies. I have just herd today that BMW are going to replace the Cat at no cost. :D:D
    My faith has been restored. Somebody up there loves me.
    I should be picking car up from my local BMW dealer who I must say has been very helpfull and has persued the claim for me. For future reference the dealers name who I would recommend in this area is:-
    Damon Hill BMW Limited
    Leamington Spa

• My car has been in all week - for misfire diagnosis - and guess what ......
    I need a new cat !!

Good news is :D:D:D
    1) BMW have agreed to put it through the Warranty !
    2) It is now purring like a dream
    3) My new 3.15:1 LS diff arrives next week.
    4) I am getting the PIAA light upgrades next week too.

Bad news is: :(:(:(
    1) It's snowing like hell up here in Glasgow at the moment - so I can't drive it

Ian.

PS Henry Bros BMW in Glasgow - top service (very informative and helpful)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!