What to replace my '8' with as an every-day car?

• Zitat von John Horrill

My post above - forgot to log in :oops:

How do you post pics without the frames??

its all about pictures that are hosted or uploaded - dont worry about it

• Hi Al

Take your point - the wheels are, of course, 18" stock. Didn't like them much at first, but are growing on me since I had the badges gold-plated. What would you suggest changing them to?

John

• what is it?? :lol::lol:

its a 1999 dodge viper gts with a 450 hp v10, right now the car
    is in Baltimore for tuning it will have 65o hp with 3.55 diff.gear
    and lots of other goodies on it.

yes do expect pics of the db9 soon,
    aston martin was on my list, but the viper would hold its value longer
    and is a easier car to tune and maintain....

Great cars all....

• Frank

Like the Viper very much, would love one as a fun car. :lol: But, as I said, I was looking for a reliable every-day vehicle with something different i.e. convertible and not too many around. The SC430 fits the bill for now, but still get my kicks from the 8.

John

• Carefull with the Viper Frank, the same attributes that make them so fun, also make them very very easy to crash.

They are especially dangerous on street tires, I would strongly suggest very very sticky tires, something with a wear rating under 200.

I have seen / heard of many Vipers crashing on the street because they had street tires on them. They aren't particularly quick off the line no matter how much Hp they have because they are traction limited, brutal over 40 though.

Only a month or so ago, my good friend in his '93 Rx7 was next to a GTS with an aftermarket exhaust (and who knows what else) at a light. They both went slowly through 1st gear untill they crossed the street because of rain valleys that are in the street, part way through second gear they both punched it. The Rx7 pulled a car length and a half on the GTS before hitting third, the shift to third was too violent for the Viper and my buddy watched in the miror as the tail of the Viper went one way, then the other, then back the first direction, then finally spinning through 40 foot of 8 foot tall cyclone fencing at a construction site, ending up in a ditch. For sure driver error, pissed that he was loosing so badly to an Rx7, and probably shifting too agressivly into third.

My buddy went back in a different vehicle and took the attached picture.

I wouldn't dream of trying to talk you out of it, just letting you know, (in case you didn't already, which I'm sure you do or will be told by the guys that are modding the car) that THIS SNAKE WILL BITE.

• Good of your friend going back to take pictures in a different car.

Imagine the Viper owner's face if he had seen him get out of Rx7 with camera in hand ... not too amused.

• That part of your post about "live near the autobahn" has me drooling. My little town has most of it's roads posted at 25 - 30 mph.

One day I hope to keep an apartment there with, I duno, maybe a Lamborghini or a Mclaren in the garrage, probably one of those Y2K turbine powered motorcycles that goes 235-266 mph would be a smart purchase.

That is definately the place to own the car your having built, you'll definately enjoy it. A guy at the local car show has a 750 Hp Viper Venom, it is so loud that my ears actually hurt when he winged the throttle. It had Nitrous also. He bought it second hand with the conversion already done for $70,000 with something like 10,000 miles or less. The local gas station where I lived in Arizona rents Vipers and other cars like that. I always wondered if they checked tire tread depth before and after you rented them, they would loose money with me behind the wheel.

• Frank - it's a beaut. , just watch out for minor front end collisions .The one piece front end will set ya back approx. $20,000.00 U.S.
    dodge finally changed it on the new design. (an insurance company's nightmare)
    but talk about raw power and torque out of the v10 . :shock:
    good luck - ps they are bullet proof (very dependable)

• I bought my wife a new SC430. It is an awsome car. Love the stereo and navigation. Plenty of power.

Hardtop to convertible is very cool.

I am not thrilled with the ride of the run flat tires, but then again it is my wifes car and she is not complaining.

I even thought about selling my 8 and getting an SC for myself. Then I took another look at my 8 sitting next to the SC. The SC looked...well. "less than manly" :).

Mike

• Hi Mike

Agree with most of your comments re SC430 i.e. great sound system & sat/nav. Convertible tin roof is probably the best there is. :D

As far as being unmanly, I see what you mean in lighter colours, but in dark colours the car has a different presence and is definately masculine. :wink:

Suggest you change the run-flats to normal with the emergency filler facility - the ride is much better. If you don't have the upgraded suspension, that also improves matters.

The 8 gearbox has it though with steptronic.

Anyway we shouldn't complain - we've both got both cars in the garage! :P

John

• John-

My tire guy also told me that most people get rid of the run flats. I may give it a try at the next tire change. My frined who is a mechanic at the Lexus dealer told me to get used to buying a lot of expensive tires for this car. Seems to eat them up. My wife will probably put less than 3K per year on this car so it may be a while before trying new tires.

Her car is bright red with tan interior. I think it is the rounded "bubble" back that makes it look femine to me. Front or back views of the car are awesome. the side view is not so good for me. The ultra -cool angular lines of the 8 is not to be upstaged by the slinky curves of the SC.

My 8 continues to get ultra attention wherever I drive it. It is unique and something you do not see on a daily drive. I am spending whatever it takes to keep this one at 100%.

Now if I could just get those recalled head light lifter cams to fix my lights....GRRRR. My 8 would then be near perfect.

Mike

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!