What to replace my '8' with as an every-day car?

• My 1997 840Ci Sport has now travelled 118,000 miles and is beginning to become very expensive and somewhat unreliable. I've spent a considerable sum over the last year or so and still get new irritating problems occurring on a regular basis. So I've decided to retire the old girl, but can't bring myself to sell her.

The dilema is what to buy as my new every day car. I've had my fair share of Porsches & Bimmers and would have considered a new Carrera 2 or the new 6 series or the new Merc SLK, but for availability delays. May still do so, but wondered what other alternatives our Members may recommend. One that was suggested to me that I know nothing about is the new Lexus SC430 Convertible, which I'm arranging to test drive next week. Does anyone know anything about this car or have any other suggestions.

Thanks guys,

John

• John

I'd be interested to hear what problems you did have which have made you retire your 8. I've a 1995 840Ci 120Kmiles which gets driven daily without too many problems other than the usual niggly things. You got me worried now.

As for what to buy next!?!?!? Can't help you on the Lexus.... However, I sat in the new Bentley Continental GT at the power boat championships in Dubai before Xmas. What a car inside and out!! 6 litre 552 BHP. I know its a Bentley but this thing will corner a wee bit better than the usual QE2 handling we've come to expect from the winged B.

PhilC

• Sale

Quite Simple. If you like the 8 Buy a low milage one they are about if you look. I purchased one Jan with 25k on clock 1998 840 Ci Sport. If you want one let me know I have a few contacts. It will cost you 19k to 23k for a very good one.
    Alasdair.

• Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. As far as the DB9 and Bentley goes, they are a nice thought, but way over my budget :cry:

The expenditure on my 8 since last summer is as follows:-

Air Conditioning - New Compressor/Condenser/Drier/Re-Gas - £900
    Air Leak - Manifold/Crank Shaft Sensor/Tensioner Unit/Fuel Filter/Diaphram Unit - £420
    Water Pump/Thermostat/V Belt etc. - £295
    Coils & Caps/Injectors/Rear pads & Discs/Diagnostics/Labour - £1613
    Batteries - £100
    Front Pads & Discs - £238
    Caliper Unit - £288
    2 Cats £1200
    Labour - £275

Total £5329

What's next??

This is the reason for wanting an alternative every-day car. I will still enjoy my 8 but need reliability.

I'm looking in the £K50-60 bracket - what do you think?

Am testing the Lexus SC430 tomorrow - will let you know.

All the best

John

• Zitat von John Horrill

Oh and by the way, Alisdair, I've had my 8 for three years, met up with a lot of other owners and never come across anything like as low as your mileage. You are very lucky.

Mine is a '99 on 40k and i thought that was very low :wink:

• Replace 8

I searched for about 3 months and found the one I now have. I have spotted 2 one with a BMW dealer Guildford @ 37k mls on R plate and 1 on the BMW Owners Club page with 18k.
    If you advertise you require a 8 series with low milage you will be amazed what turns up I would have a go. but, however if as you say your in the £40k to £50k bracket. I can,nt suggest anything.
    Just a thought !! depends what sort of milage you are doing is it about 30k per annum if so I would go for top of range BMW. You can,nt go wrong.
    Pop in to Damon Hill of Warwick and Leamington Spa.
    Regards
    Alasdair
    840Ci Sport Now 27k 2k since 3rd Jan.
    Average mpg 23.5
    mackaydesign@btinternet.com

John
    Just a thought. I bet your Number Plate at sale auctions would fetch about £20k
    worth more than the car its on if you doubt me have a look on DVLA web site and check previous auctions. I have just purchased R30 AM got it very cheap. Have a look.
    Options
    Sell 840.
    Sell Number Plate
    Buy newer 840 keep for shows
    Buy M5 6mths old.
    Your only hear once.
    Have a nice day
    Alasdair

• Hi John,

The ONLY option you really have is to buy a newer 8 with BMW Extended Warranty.

I am amazed how many things it covers - and it has MOT cover (all you pay for is test fee) all for £650 per year. They actually state the things that are not covered and it is things like hoses, seals tyres etc.

Even batteries and exhauast are covered !

Tricvk is though - you have to find a car that has current warranty so you can extend it.

This really limits your exposure and allows you to drive THE car you love !

• I am on my 2nd 850 now, this one a '91 with 49,800. on the clock. When I was looking for my first one last year there was a black and tan 91 850 manual trans for sale in Texas USA with 8,300 miles on it if I remember. The owner had always stored it in a climate controlled garrage, it had never seen rain, was all stock except for a staggered set of M-Parallels recently installed, and he had purchased a "NEW" lower gear ratio rear-end but had not installed it. He apparently had 17 or so collector cars and had to sell one to make room for something he had ordered. I think he was asking 35,000 US or thereabouts.

• Test drove the Lexus SC430 last week - loved it - bought the last remaining new one in my part of UK, just happened to be in the colour I would have chosen i.e. Indigo Pearl. Will post pics alongside my 8 soon. Am now a happy bunny, have the best of both worlds. My open-top motoring days have returned, but with more comfort than I remember with the soft tops of my youth!!

Alasdair - what makes you think my number plate could pull £20k? Have looked on several sites and can't see it being worth that much. Do you think it would bring more in Scotland ( full of JOK's)?

If you could get £20k for me you'd be on a healthy commission :wink:

Cheers

John

• John,

Congratulations on the new Lexus by the way - good choice.

Our Italian agent had one last summer and picked me up from Milan airport in it. Great ride and VEY well equipped.

It was probably the most comfortable car I have ever sat in and I totally enjoyed the 30 minute open top ride from the airprot to the factory.

Hi car was in a creamy/pearl colour witha light cream leather interior so maybe this is the same colour as yours.

Look forward to seeing photos. :roll:

• Hi Ian

Thanks for the endorsement, I'm delighted with the car. Have just completed two trips to South Wales and getting close to 1200 miles when I can start to use the gas! My colour is darker - will post pics soon.

The main feature that it shares with the 8 is the rarity factor. Got used to not seeing many 8's around (only about six in three years, apart from our meet at Warwick Castle). Haven't seen another SC430 on the road yet but there's a 911 or Boxster around every corner!! Porsche are becoming extremely ubiquitous - a good reason for giving them a miss. I like the exclusivity and, of course, the attention it attracts. :lol:

John

• Congrats on the Lexus, i have been lucky enough to drive it and its a nice car to drive and quick - still prefer the 8 though. The 8 gets well more looks too and is even more exclusive, cant go wrong with them both tho!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!