dirty brake discs

• i own a 840ci sport and the brake discs get dirty very quick even when the car is parked. they turn into a rusty colour. its not brake dust because i have changed all the brake pads a couple of months ago.

what is the problem?

thanks

• i am definate sure its not brake dust. They get dirty when the car has been parked for the last 3 weeks. is there anything i can use to clean them because it looks like that they are rusting!!

• brillo??? lol

i dont know to be honest but it isnt a problem apart from aesthetically as mine do it (on every car i have). it doesnt affect the braking.

• genius, what you can see is RUST due to the fact that brake discs are made from a ferrous metal i.e. cast steel. All makes of car suffer with this phenomenon, some worse than others.

Always dry out the brakes after washing the car by driving around the block and applying the brakes to heat them up. This will minimise the corrosion.

Brake discs almost always corrode more on the inner surface than on the outer one. I have never heard a satisfactory explanation for this but I have my own theories.

stuart, I wouldn't want to use WD40 on my brakes; they work better without lubrication!

Cheers,

John.

E. Yorkshire, UK

K8PPL 1993 850Ci

• Some metals are "Self Protecting" Cast Iron and Aluminum (no matter how you pronounce it) are two that do. They rapidly develop an oxide layer that seals off the surface from further corrosion.

Aluminum gets a hazy dull layer of aluminum oxide and cast iron gets a thin layer of iron oxide, commonly known as Rust.

Every time you use the brakes you wipe the rust off and every time you park it the rust starts coating it again. Normal!!

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!