Exhaust system

• Are you looking for a prepared package?
    If you are looking for a stainless cat back system, you may want to check out SuperSprint .
    As for the sound, I am assured it is pleasant growl when you want it.
    I'll let you know, I'm getting the new mufflers installed this week.
    Sean S.

• Thank you for your fast answer :o:o

I do not know this mark, also i'm going to make a tour on WWW. :wink::wink:

Have you a idea of cost :?:
    I'm particularly interested to receive photos of this device

i' ll apreciate if you can send me on my mail box gegou.philippe@wanadoo.fr

Merci beaucoup et au plaisir

Philippe GEGOU (AMETHYST)
    BMW Club Serie 8 France
    E31 850 CI 1998 / X3 Drive 30e 2022 / I8 2017 / I3S 2020 / E30 cab 1992

• Supersprints run $1,280 ish. My last 8 had them. They are nearly if not as quiet as the stock exhaust under throttle, however they emit a beautiful burble at idle. Idling through the parking lot of your favorite car show they are wonderfull. They also make the most hp of any of the aftermarket exhausts.

If you want more noise, everyone seems to agree Eisenman is the way to go. They have three levels, Race being the top. Don't bother with the other 2.

If you are on a budget and know a good exhaust shop, try Magnaflow street ovals. Their model 14863 and 14815 will look great, and should sound as good as any. Price about $125 a side. The inlets are however in the center, so your local exhaust shop will have to fabricate a piece of pipe to connect them to your stock exh. They will probably cut your rear section stockers and graft onto those.

Warning, you will not gain power by replacing the mannifolds with headers and installing full system. Almost certainly you will loose power. I don't know what you had in mind, I saw the whole magilla on the ground so I thought I would mention that.

• Nobody tried exhaust system from one of the company on the main page of the site? Schnitzer, Hamman,....

Do you know why it exists a lot of exhaust for normal 850, but very few for the CSI?

Amethyst, very good job on your new car! It looks very good!

• Ac Schnitzer doesn't offer one, Hamman does list one, but I've never herd anything about it. I suspect they resell someone elses system, but that is just a suspision. They may not offer it anymore.

Current known offerings are

Supersprint
    Einsenman
    Remus
    Dinan

Dinans are just stock mufflers with the baffles cut out and chrome tips, for $2,200. can you believe it?
    Einsenman race runs about $1,500.
    Remus is the cheapest at about $900 I think.
    SuperSprint are best for power and run $1,290.
    Magnaflow runs $250 plus carefull pipe bending and welding. Still much cheaper and might look and sound as good or better than any.

There is little power to be gained with exhaust or intakes etc... The exhaust ports are supposed to be horrible. The compression is low and the cams are mild. The first 2 Eisenhaus exhaust systems add 0 and 2 hp respectively just as an example. The "Race" is supposed to be worth 8 hp. K&N filters have been dynoed and the results show that they actually net a loss of 1 hp. If your looking for significant hp gains, get ready to spend major dollars. Pull engine, port the exh ports, raise compression with new pistons, install Schriek cams, extrudehone intakes, etc... Unless you have a large wallet and are willing to spend it opn this car I suggest getting the computer done, trans chip, Magnaflows.

• CSI Exhausts

G'Day All

I can vouch for Supersprint. They only make the back boxes - which are the bits that disintegrate first. From memory they were just under £400 each. Stainless steel so never need to be replaced. Great sound as previosly mentioned. They actually come from Italy so may be cheaper to get in France. :lol:

Other options for the CSi are G-Power and Racing Dynamics. Racing Dynamics advertise a complete system in the US but I was unable to find out a correct price and availability. G-Power have a lot of stuff to BM's and there 8-range is expanding. Only have back boxes as well.

For the rest I suggest going to a 'Pipe Maker' and get a set of custom stainless steel pipes made up. Usually ends up being almost the same cost as originals, and the guy will love working on your car.

Stuart - missed the bit about headers etc. being no good. Can you elaborate since I was considering this option.

Thanks
    Spikus - Surrey Highway Rat :twisted:

• Sure, one of the fellow members on another forum has done all of that and dynoed each stage. He tried headers, midpipes, X pipes (crossover), different sized tubing, straight pipes with no mufflers at all etc, and found that unless the engine was built, the headers added nothing, the x pipe sections added almost nothing, and there was a small bit of hp to be had in the cat back sections. And those were with the best diameters, most of his experiments resulted in a loss of hp.

In short, the bottelneck to hp in this particular engine is NOT the exhaust.

I am loosly relating the info from his report, but that's the jist of it. I remember thinking that I wouldn't put anything but a good catback on one of these even if the parts were free. If parts and labor were under $150 I would do the headers only because they would look cool, but no Hp.

The exhaust ports in the heads have been describes as "Pinto like" I.E. absolutely horrible. The intake ports are decent. I've seen them, even have pics.

The Hp gain from even the best cat back system is very difficult to notice. The gains all happen from basically 4500 - redline, and most systems make 10 hp or less even at redline. Dinan claims 10 hp at near redline, the top Eisenhaus "race" system claims 8 hp, Rhemus I think is 0 hp. The result being that for my current car I'm thinking of doing the Magnaflows or even just the chrome tips.

• Headers etc.

G'Day Stuart

Thanks for that. I agree - a nice set of headers look loads better than the original, mainly I guess because of the flow of the pipes. Being an old V-8 man from years ago I remember headers giving better flow and therefore allowing the engine to 'breathe' more.

I also remember reading an article on one of the other sites, I believe it was Roadfly, but have never been able to find it again. I distinctly remember them trying all sorts of tuning options on both the Ci and CSi. For the CSi - most important point was the air intake. Fitting anything other than the standard resulted in loss of hp, and most other options had a gain of about 4-5hp, which equates to 1% increase. Not much for a lot of outlay.

Still, when it comes time to replace the rest of the system I will look into the price of getting a Stainless Steel set made up and compare the cost.

Spike

• I have a MagnaFlow Set-up on my 840! And she does have a nice tone to her now! I know as a BMW owner, that many of us do not want to devalue our cars by putting inferior products. But to spend so much money on a part that has the same quality, is ridiculous. MagnaFlow mufllers are fully stainless and are or high quality. Stainless is stainless. If you want to invest in a nice exhaust set-up, find a good muffler/fabrication place and have them make you a stainless steel pipe system with mandrel bends. Custom is sometimes better and worth the investment.

Just my 2 cents,

John P.

• A question

I am thinking of replacing my 850Ci's muffler with Supersprints ones. How do you rate the sound? Do you think they are noisy ones?
    Many thanks:)

• Suspersprint exhaust

G'day Sivasu

I rate then. Slightly nicer sound that stock version but not much louder. As previously mentioned lovely idle sound. Just gets your stomach rumbling. :lol:

Thanks
    Martin

• Re: Suspersprint exhaust

Zitat von spikus1

G'day Sivasu

I rate then. Slightly nicer sound that stock version but not much louder. As previously mentioned lovely idle sound. Just gets your stomach rumbling. :lol:

Thanks
    Martin

Thanks a lot, Martin. I will get one then:D

Siva

• Hi Everone,

Just revisiting some past post regarding exhaust/mufflers. I found it to be helpful for those that are looking replace their stock setup. Mine are starting to show some rust holes for its age so I just thought I would throw it out there. Anyone care to share their setup?

• Why looking so far away!

look at this thread
    http://www.8er.org/forum/showt…50&highlight=engl+auspuff

and contact our member ENGL Thomas

He builds customized exhaust systems for our 8 series in stainless steel!
    Great work and great sound!

I´ve heared it on a meeting last august in westerwald germany
    http://www.8er.org/files/user/micha/8er.wmv

In reality it sounds much better!!

so try it out!

greetings from austria
    richard

Alle sagten es geht nicht, bis einer kam der das nicht wusste und es einfach machte...:winkwink:

• I was also looking for a new exhaust.

I have decided to do the following.
    Keep the stock mufflers.
    Replace the rest, cats included, with stainless straightpipes.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Hi Richard, Your link tells me that I am not allowed access[seem a bit OTT / james Bond ] do you know why?

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Here's an explanation as to why this is difficult for you to access..

Finally, the different countries are starting to work together and some have different limitations from others. Generally, this web site tries to keep things simple for the users and does not show other languages..

To change what you can see (aside from some content which will always be hidden from some) do the following:

1. Click on "User CP" on the top bar of the website
    2. Click on "Group Memberships" on the left
    3. Join the "Group 05"

That should allow you to read most of the German content.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!