• I seem to be dropping a small amount of oil on my garage floor, but only after the car has been run, it seems to be an area right between the front wheels, any ideas would be a great help as I hate the dealer :twisted:
    because they can tell toy anything they want, I am a driver not a mechanic...

Thank-you in advance

DMP

• Chain tensioner cover or pan gasket?

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I am hoping for oil pan gasket, that sounds like a semi-inexpensive repair...at least it has been on other cars I have had, but mechnanics see you pull in with an 8 and immediatly want to jump in your wallet...

• I just returned from a drive (actually work not pleasure) and pulled into the garage and the leak was coming from what you would call the "bell housing" on an american car... it is right behind the front stress bar and crossmember, it has wht looks like a 4x4 inch "waffle" at the bottom, when I had the car jacked up I could not figure out what that was ther for, but as I sad before I am no mechanic....

• Actually the upper pan gasket replacement is one of the most expensive repairs you can do on an 8. Lower pan is relatively cheap though.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM (840)

Dripping off the bottom of the bellhousing. Damn. Just put the motor in. I have repleced the PCV plate gasket which can be the problem if you have rough idle. Not sure waht else. It appears to be a main crank seal or itt could also be the front tranny seal. I need to put my new tranny in soon so i will check everything thoroughly then.

The old engine had same problem and I never really bothered to trace it but now I wish I had.I need some mirrors and a small lamp to chase the leak to the source. Could even be a cam cover gaket.

Anyone else have a theory?

Theo

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM (840)

Dripping off the bottom of the bellhousing. Damn. Just put the motor in. I have repleced the PCV plate gasket which can be the problem if you have rough idle. Not sure waht else. It appears to be a main crank seal or itt could also be the front tranny seal. I need to put my new tranny in soon so i will check everything thoroughly then.

The old engine had same problem and I never really bothered to trace it but now I wish I had.I need some mirrors and a small lamp to chase the leak to the source. Could even be a cam cover gaket.

Anyone else have a theory?

Theo

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• My guess would be either be a leaking cam cover gasket or a leaking oil seperator pipe.

The first is very common on the V8 and is very easy to fix. Buy a new gasket, clean up the mating faces and use hylomar when putting the new gaskets in.

The oil spererator pipe is an aluminium pipe running through the 'vee' which takes oil from the front of the engine to the PCV valve at the rear of the intake manifold. It is a sliding fit on a stub pipe at each end, sealed with an o-ring. THese o-rings can leak if not installed correctly or are old. The intake manifold has to be removed for these o-rings to be changed so it is a time consuming job but not too difficult. You can tell whether this is the problem without removing the manifold if you shine a torch down into the 'vee' and you can see puddles of oil.

Both of these will cause oil to appear at the bottom of the bell housing.

Ben

• Thanks Ben,

I had forgotten about the oil tube. I installed a fresh engine out of a low klm wreck and didn't give the o rings a thought. Bugger!

Inlet off may be a little longer than PCV plate off, either way its an awkward job and hard on your back!

Theo

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Zitat von Ben H

My guess would be either be a leaking cam cover gasket or a leaking oil seperator pipe.

The first is very common on the V8 and is very easy to fix. Buy a new gasket, clean up the mating faces and use hylomar when putting the new gaskets in.

Very easy? I have seen a PDF file detailing this repair and it looks far from easy. Well not difficult as such, just awkward and time consuming.

Have a look at this document from e31faq.com:
    http://www.e31faq.com/attachments/att99.pdf

Are you saying it's actually easier than this document implies? I am planning on getting mine done as they are both weeping (particularly the left side) but it definitely looks like a non-DIY for me.

Cheers
    Paul.

• Very awkward as the rear PCV plate has torx bolts and they are not visible to work with so unless you have had one off b4 its gonna need patience.

Dont do a manifold off unless you srtip the torx which is a 50% bet. The dumb ass who designed it with torx ought to be reamed with a rusty wire brush. They get tight through the plating on the nuts corroding in the brass threads in the plastic manifold. There is no secret other than a small make up mirror and good light to first identify the number of bolts and their location. Then you need a small right angle rathchet about 1/4' drive to crack the thread seal and so you can hold the torx tip perpendicular otherwise you are guaranteed to strip it out once off its easy enought to pull a snap retainer and prise the plate off. Carefull you dont pull the tube back too far or you will spend more un neccesary time putting the front back on, unless of course you need to do the right thing and do both seals!

Really sosunds awakward and is but worth doing yourself as te deaqlers will take the same time and charge a packet.

A tip, if you remove the radiator you will have room to get right into the engine bay and can then lean on the manifold to save your back a little. The front of the sump makes a good step to work from rather than lift the cat and work from outside.

Yell out if you want further info.

Theo

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Hi Paul

I changed both of my cam cover gaskets quite a while ago so I forgot that you had to remove the engine wiring harnesses which straddle the intake manifold. The clips that hold these to the injectors are a bitch to get off but other than that it is fairly simple, just time consuming. It took me about half a day I think. I used the pdf document you posted as a guide so, no, I don't know of an easier way! Sorry!

I think my independent wanted about £90 a side to do it, so I thought I'd tackle it myself and replace the PCV valve, gasket, oil pipe o-rings at the same time.

Regards
    Ben

• B4 you go changing the PCV valve have a look at a new one. You will find it is not a valve at all and they dont need replacing like most regular ones. It is actually a centifugal seperator that works like a bagless vaccum cleaner. Oil is left on the floor of the manifold and is pulled right into the cylinders to be burned. There is nothing in them that wears but they can crack. The gasket thats seals them to the manifold is also suspect and can leak vaccum causing bad idle.

Theo

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!