• HI Guys

Just wonderd if anyone has got or had this happen to thier car. The drivers window makes a sharp click or clack when it reaches either the top of its travel or just opening and closing the door and also at the bottom of its travel.

Have attempted several times to adjust it but th noise always returns after a few days, Help it really Pi**es me off, makes the car feel cheap.

cheers!

• SHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! my passenger window stopped that crap about 10 mos ago and I know I am on borrowed time. I got that noise when the window was on its way up , right about at the top. Sounds like a pebble thrown at the window! My mech fixed it once....said it was something in the track hitting(?) the window and or an adjustment of some type. His fixed worked for about 6 mos and then the noise came back. He couldn't or wouldn't fix the next time and it lasted about a year....then one day it just stopped! When I bought this car I had to replace the battery. I knew right then no matter what someone charges me to work on this car it is worth it. If you are the opposite take off the door skin and check it out. I believe the stealer gets close to two hrs labor for a door skin R&R. Good luck!

• Try resetting the window soft limits.

Run the window down and hold the button until you hear a click or about 20 seconds, which ever comes first.

Then do the same thing going up.

If that works, do the other window and the sunroof too.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• cheers guys,

have tried adjustments an stuff, but when i spoke to a bmw engineer he went "mmmm dont know, dont want to know, but buy a new one, ha ha "

so i will try the soft touch reset, but i dont have much hope, but the pebble hitting the window analogy is spot on.

aln

• Reviving an age old thread here, but did anyone find out what's required to fix 'the pebble' permanently? I have the same problem.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• As you might guess, this has come up before, there is a fix, the "clack" can be cured by tightening the window guide bolts. There is a thread on this somewhere, I'll dig around and place a link here.

EDIT add links: Right, in case you speak German, this problem was discussed on the german section and there are good pictures there from Reinhard: http://www.8er.org/forum/showt…p?t=978&highlight=fenster

Here's the link to the Roadfly thread mentioned in the German thread: http://forums.roadfly.com/foru…series-e31/8828093-1.html

• Many thanks for that; my German is OK so I'd love to read the thread, but clicking on the link tells me I don't have permission to view the page. I can, however, view the German forums via the main page. From the German section, I did a search for 'fenster' but I couldn't find the thread. Not sure what to do next...

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Zitat von Wildatheart;68353

Many thanks for that; my German is OK so I'd love to read the thread, but clicking on the link tells me I don't have permission to view the page. I can, however, view the German forums via the main page. From the German section, I did a search for 'fenster' but I couldn't find the thread. Not sure what to do next...

Odd that you can't follow the link directly. Anyway, if you can view the German forums then do a search for Fensterknacken - I just checked and that search gives one hit which is the thread I linked to above.

Cheers

• Thanks again for your efforts; I'm still not having much luck; when I search in 'Technik' for Fensterknacken I only get this thread as a result. I have sent a message to the administrators, so hopefully they can sort this out.

Whilst I wait, are there any parts I should order before I take the doorcard out, or is it a case of making adjustments only?

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Argonaut: The thread you linked to is in a private forum.

Deutschland, Österreich, Schweiz (Registrierte Benutzer, registered User, utilisateurs enregistrés): Available to everyone. If you can't access it, change your group membership and join "G05: D-A-CH Registrierte Benutzer".

Deutschland, Österreich, Schweiz (Clubmitglieder): This is a private forum for the German/Austrian/Swiss club members (I guess they pay an annual fee). Anyone can become a member though by becoming a supporting member. Contact Reinhard for more information on becoming a supporting member.

• Thanks Revtor; I was already a registered user for the "G05: D-A-CH Registrierte Benutzer" section, so the thread I was hoping to read must belong to the private German paid up members :dontknow:

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Zitat von revtor;68358

Argonaut: The thread you linked to is in a private forum.

Deutschland, Österreich, Schweiz (Registrierte Benutzer, registered User, utilisateurs enregistrés): Available to everyone. If you can't access it, change your group membership and join "G05: D-A-CH Registrierte Benutzer".

Deutschland, Österreich, Schweiz (Clubmitglieder): This is a private forum for the German/Austrian/Swiss club members (I guess they pay an annual fee). Anyone can become a member though by becoming a supporting member. Contact Reinhard for more information on becoming a supporting member.

Cheers Revtor - I'd forgotten about the paid up bit - I'm a paid up member.

:winkwink:

• OK here is what I consider to be a (albeit maybe only temporary) cure.
    We tried to fasten the clamps holding the glass in place that have been discussed for some time. Those clamps (normally) only need 6NM and they protect the glass by means of Teflon or similar plastics from cracking. This means that you cannot REALLY fasten them.

For some cars this turns out to be a solution but it did not cure the problem in two of my cars (and many others) and we started tightening basically everything that could be seen.

In the end it turned out that two screws for the motor mount seeemd to be responsible for the "pebble" and on top of that a groan once the window had reached the upper position.

To the right is a large washer that controls the endpoint of the motor moving the regulator (toothed rim). If this does not correspond to the setting given by the bolts for the upper limit of travel (see first set of pictures, the semi vertical bolts) then the motor continues to push the linkage after the upper stop is reached and one can see the whole assembly bend outwards! Once the motor stops this torsion is reliefed with an "old door groan".

We found that loosening the regulator stop washer whilst travelling up to the stop and thence running the window down for maybe 2mms and readjusting & tightening the washer solved the problem of the door groan eventually.

The pebble has since appeared back on one window which means that the motor mount screws maybe need more tightening or thread loctite.

To get there you need to remove the door panel, the sound/water insulation and the door module.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Many thanks for this Reinhard; very useful. I have (somewhat) tightened the clamps at the bottom of the glass; two of the four bolts were noticeably loose. This has fixed the pebble noise and the window is now going up & down as it should.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!