windows steaming up

• OK Einstein, more info please.

Fogging glass is from water or water vapour.........steam!

Have you been out Shaggin in the backseat with all the windows up or is the steam perhaps from the heater?

It could also be that your aircon is not removing the moisture from the air especially if you are in a cold climate.

First, Check water level in rad and or pressure test the cooling system. If you dont hold pressure then check the carpet for wet spots under the dash areas. Im told the heater core removal is fun, Not!

If it's aircon then a re gas might be the short term answer till it empties again. Be sure to check the leak source if its the aircon.

Hope it helps and let me know if you has been doin the business in the 8. I am of the opinion it can be done but Im too old to figure how! I have enough trouble trying to get the missus into the car. She reckons its made for couples without kids or people who have frineds with no legs.

cheers

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• check the two outlets on the bottom side of you car. (left and right near the the gear box).

Normaly the aircondition water can not flow out, because of dirt etc.

It could not be an aircondition leak. You would not see or smell the gas....

• When does it fog up?

Right after cold start? or when already warm?

Smell something Sweet when it is fogging up?

I have a spot in the upper left hand corner that does not believe in de-fogging. It is the first to fog and the last to clear. And living in a place of constant rain mine fogs when the fan is left on and the engine is first turned on but clears immediately.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Hay Genius, just so you dont feel on your own, mine does the same.Steams up more if there's two or three people in the car (& no thats not 3s up shaggin' Theo!). Dosent like to clear very quick either.No smells,i just put it down to the damp English weather this time of year. Sounds daft but giving the inside of the windows a good clean seems to helps :?
    Les

• thanks guys for the help. Theres no smell or nothing and its mists up all the time. The car is parked for a few days and its all misted up.

Ive checked around the footwell of both the passenger and driver and its not wet. Ive not checked the water level yet.

• Does your air conditioning work?

Part of the Defrost/Demist uses the Air Con for dehumidifying the air being blown around.

When you push the high defrost button does it blow hot air?

It was so humid here last week that it nearly rained inside the car after I parked it at a store for an hour or so.

Try driving with a window open a small bit so that some of the warm air with all the humidity can escape. That cut mine down a lot.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• It cycles automatically I believe.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• How does it work when the car is warmed up?

The Aircon bit is mostly useful at startup before the water gets warm.

Have you tried it with a window a bit open?

Have you changed the Pollen filters lately? They can literally stop airflow.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• The pollen filters where changed about 12 months ago. For a few months it was ok but its has started again.

WHen driving its ok. Its only when its parked that it starts.

• If you mean parked as in overnight-then something is wet inside the car. Carpets or something.

Try the cracked open window bit with the heater full on-blowing as hot and hard as it can for a bit before you park.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Open the drivers window about an inch to let the humid air out while driving.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• But you need to get some of the humidity out before you park.

That is less to condense on the windows.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Genius, did you ever get round this problem?

I'm having the same problem with the car steaming up when you park, and it's more than just humidity

it's only just started happening, i'm thinking i may need to change the heater core?

• windows steaming up

check your sunroof seal too, it may be leaking and or the drain channels may be blocked, either way can lead to gradual dampness of your headlining, sometimes without staining, so you won't notice.
    in any case, there seems to be a lot of moisture trapped in your car, once vapourised and the windows cold-enough there will be condensation.

for now, or once you cured the problem, it is not a bad idea to leave a dehumidifier in your car over-night or week-end. just shut it in, the door seal will allow the wire out of your car. the car temperatutre needs to be around 5 + degree for it to work well, best in the garage with windows and doors shut. need to check the tank and empty captured water, and take out the over mats and dry them separately, so as to allow the carpets to dry underneath.

on the other hand - as far as pollen filters are concerned - i can't see how they could be so badly blocked in 12 months to stop airflow. however, after changing the filters if you didn't put things back together properly, rain could be getting into the bulk-head area (could also have blocked drip channels, possibly with debris/leaves etc), the engine heat will vaporise the water in this area and allow it to get into the cabin.

be good to see this is really due to your aic conditioning system!

regards.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!