Top 5 'Must Have' mods/upgrades

• In a couple of months I'll have around £1000 to spend on my 840 Ci (4.4)

I've scanned quite a few (but far from all) of the other posts looking for definitive suggestions, but so far not found exactly what I'm after. So.....

What do you think, in order of importance, are the Top 5 mods/upgrades that can be made to my 4.4 840ci Sport (1997).

It is standard spec at present and completly original, which great by the way, but I know there is room for improvement from what I read on t'internet.

I have no interest in adding bodykits or the like - the M Style Kit that the Sport model comes with is perfect for me, and I'm no ricer. However, I do like power and good handling, and that's really what I'm after improving.

Your answers would be greatly appreciated, with estimated costs, and your recomendations as to where to have the work carried out wouldn't go amiss either !

Cheers,

Tony

• Hi again.

Power, thats going to cost plenty of ££££s

Lowered & uprated suspension, no change from a grand.

different alloys, between £1k & £3k

Tinted glass ! ?? £600

New air freshner about £2

My light harted reply must only be taken in the apporpriate manner, good luck with your mods

Rgds Steve

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Where do you get your prices from Schnitz :!::!::!::)

Your right, i'm missing my baby, but she's with good company at the momment.

2x F50 Farrari's

2x911 turbo's

1 x E30 M3

1x E46 M3

1x E46 csl

!x Mondeo turing car

1x formular 3000 single seater

so i recon they'll be OK withe the 8 :D

• I swear by these particular ones. Almost 4 years in 2 different cars (740/840)
    Great performance gain and emission testing friendly.

When a car is Flashed by the dealer, this is the chip that gets flashed so the danger runs the other way. Your performance chip gets flashed back to stock :(

Problem is that in the US at least the 4.4L uses a different chip system that isn't swap friendly.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Re: Top 5 'Must Have' mods/upgrades

Tony,
    I strongly urge you to have your mechanic go through the car carefully and make a list of what mechanical bits need attention before you start fiddling around with mods. ie. do the essentials. I bought a 1994 840Ci off a mate for allot -- ALLOT less than market value to take it off his hands, and found the following need attention....

TAKE YOUR PICK :This is excluding the labour cost

1. Got rid of the knackered EDC shocks....worst invention ever. Replaced with sport Bilsteins/ 500 quid
    2. Replaced stock springs with H&R 170 quid
    3. Replace steering link, tie arms, all front end bushings, upper lower arms
    4. New M Chip from bimmerfreak 70 quid (email me for details)..this is awesome !!
    5. Replace engine mountings completely shot / TBC
    6. Add hubcentric rings and existing genuine M Parallels refurbished/ TBC
    7. New 18inch F 245/ R285 Goodyear Revspecs / TBC
    8. Change all lubricants and flush engine and transmission / TBC
    9. Bleed Brakes and replace with S/S mesh brake lines/ TBC
    10. Replace Noddy or Big Ears mirrors with CSi (off the bay ) 250 quid
    11. Replace Brake Master Cylinder, which was beeding / 580 quid
    12. Replace rust spotted sunroof with one off Ebay/ 150 quid
    13. Replace droopy roof lining fabric and C pillars - off ebay/ 400 quid
    14. Paint and recondition Brake Calipers / TBC
    15. Remove engine rocker cover check - refurbish top end
    16. Replace all front head lights with Bill Fox headlights (Roadfly) 80 quid
    17. Replace all spark plus with high performance variety/ TBC
    18. Replace expansion bottle which shows signs of wear before it splitsTBC
    19. Touch up all bodywork, scrapes, dings etc/ TBC
    20. Check all rubber door etc seals and replace as necessary/ TBC
    21. Steam clean inside of the engine bay / TBC
    22. Fix seat belt warning message on OBC + Water washer fluid fault readings...TBC

Thaks all folks...The car has been in the garage since Dec 12th.
    Hope to get it back after 15th Feb.

Cheers

• Hay Stevie

I just replaced my plug leads for £160.00 instead of the £400 the stealers wanted and they are Magnacor uprated ones at that!!

I'm not saying I'm tight but I will seek the best bang for the buck!! so to say.

There are plenty of wheels around to improve the look of the car. My 058 Rondells are on the bay now for less than £500 and as Paneristi has just said, springs are cheap.

Paneristi made a very valid point that we all should take note of... Do not assume your ride is healthy, get it checked...

All the best guy's and happy motoring....

• Zitat von schnitz850

Right then lets start with these...

http://cgi.ebay.de/Performance…ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Then you could go for a lower ride height at about £300.00 ish just for the springs...

Now this is interesting......

These Chips..... I've done some asking around on various tuning garage websites and the best price I can come up with is approx £400 fitted and tested on a rolling road. However their figures show less BHP and torque, and insist that you use high octane fuel (stella), completely the opposite of what this Ebay Chip claims. And at £125 Buy it Now I could fit that this weekend !

I'm pretty confident with electrics etc, though I'll be the first to admit that personally chipping a car/bmw is not something I've done before. With a steady hand and eye is really possible for me to swap the chips over without prior expertise ? (following the instructions Linked from the Advert)

May go for some wheels in future, but I do quite like the turbine alloys on mine for now

May get that £2 air freshner though.....

Cheers

Tony

• no to mods

With all due respect for evryone in the room and opinions will be opinions but BMW have spent millions of pounds developing a sensational car and yes although I agree that there is room for improvement how far do you go? If you want BMW improvement for your 8 then buy an 850CSI or an alpina B12 because you wont get any better than that. BMW has produced a raw car with a raw engine thats no superchargers no turbos and for something so special why go and throw a monkey wrench in the equation.
    The only upgrade I think all 8's need is better braking like a brembo upgrade. Other than that I would leave the 8 standard as it is . You wouldnt go and chip a Jaguar E type or stick a supercharger on a aston martin db6 would u? My morals are with THE bmw ENGINEERS so why go offend them by trying to reproduce a better car. If you want faster then buy a tvr if you want handling and preformance then buy a subaru wrx. If you want to be different from the rest and turn heads where ever you go then just stick with your loyal 8. And if you decide to modify then stick to original parts or established tuners like HARTGE ALPINA and SCHITZNER or what ever its called. Saying that Ive just bought a set of 19 inch hartge modular split rims and have screwed up the whole geometrics on the car. Anyone with the 850CSI alloys ............ stick to them because the car handles just perfect with the 17inch alloys.

• Hi again, BMW may have spent millions designing the perfect car, however they also designed a car with plenty of compromises (not all bad either). It is possible to improve anything, car or otherwise. I respect those who wish to preserve a piece of BMW history, such as museums etc and collectors, but I run my 8 everyday and want the best everyday, and not a compromise.

I think the saying goes...... "less is more, but think how much more more could be...?" :D

Cheers Tony

• Upgrages

Frankly speaking if I could have afforded to replace my EDC shocks I would have , but Bilsteins are a darn site cheaper. As for lowering the car and chipping, why not follow the design DNA direction of the CSi, afterall technology and development has come a long way in the past 11 years or so. :) If I can unleash a bit more acceleration potential, why not?

As for my other upgrades they are unfortunate necessities :cry:

• Zitat von TallTony

Hi again, BMW may have spent millions designing the perfect car, however they also designed a car with plenty of compromises (not all bad either). It is possible to improve anything, car or otherwise. I respect those who wish to preserve a piece of BMW history, such as museums etc and collectors, but I run my 8 everyday and want the best everyday, and not a compromise.

I think the saying goes...... "less is more, but think how much more more could be...?" :D

Cheers Tony

I agree with him, how do you others feel. ? :?:

• I have been quoted 1 billion DM's for the developement of the 8 series (a reliable source).

Personally I try and improve or refine whatever I drive. Have a look at my site on the www button. Now while it is not to everyone taste, each to their own...

If I bought an imaculate CSi with zero or low miles then that is how I would keep it.... I don't so I won't...

Every car can be improved from stock. Fact. It might be wheels or even just tyres....

Enjoy your car which ever way you want to.

Peace :wink:

• Wellt tony in that case why not go for the hartge or alpina full conversions if you can afford it? but be prepared coz a full conversion from HARTGE starts at £14000.00 pounds then you will most definately have something very special. As for me Im happy with the 8 as it is. Good luck. By the way i must say your car looks tidy

• Zitat von bimmerman840ci

Wellt tony in that case why not go for the hartge or alpina full conversions if you can afford it? but be prepared coz a full conversion from HARTGE starts at £14000.00 pounds then you will most definately have something very special. As for me Im happy with the 8 as it is. Good luck. By the way i must say your car looks tidy

I'm most pleased youre happy with your standard car, many other owners feel their cars are second bar none, however your admiration of the Hartge mark is to be questioned, sure fantastically engineered beyond the point where BMW choose to call it day, but as you mention at a cost.

I'm in the process of having a Supercharger fitted, iknow you have previously vioced your dissaproval of such modifications but please consider that as Hartge, Alpina, & Ac schnitzer have long seased offering such upgrades for our cars, we seek other alternatives.

Previouly i was quoted £13,500 by Birds ( Hartge ) to install a Dinan supercharger, yeah right like i'm ready to pay 20% more than the value of my 8, my cost's are more likly to be some 60% lower, why , by using a company that still realises there is a demand for tuning the older models.

This brings me to how Schnitz summed up his reply, Enjoy your car which ever way you want to , and i look forward to posting my rolling road figures when i'm reacqiuented with my beast on a budget :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!