LPG???(GOOD-OR-BAD)

• I'm planning to buy a 8 ,but the consumption rate makes me afraid and anxious,so I wanna know whether it would be good or bad for me if I install a LPG system.With the improvements on LPG systems,does anyone knows the advantageous/disadvantageous characteristics of LPG?Would you suggest doing such an oparation on a 8? :?::?::?:

• Hi

I moved this up to Main Discussion to make sure everyone saw it.

One of the Members here (Mark) has done the conversion to his 840.

Try http://www.go-lpg.co.uk

Conversion Gallery in the list

Then BMW and the 840 is his.

I have seen 850 conversion pictures also.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I doubt what you would save on mpg costs would cover the outlay for the conversion. You would have to do a heck of a lot miles wouldn't you ?

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• It's more different,not doing so many km's.The most important thing for me is to be a relaxed driver when I wanna see the level in the tank on the screen.So I wanna drive more comfortably when I think that I can fulla the tank easily and more cheap...So that made me think such a conversion...(In my country,LPG:1.10$ :) ,Unleaded 98+:>2$ :( ).....
    I wanna know whether ıt does my engine so much harm... :?:

• Shiggsy said it all.

Conversion cost may outweigh the benefit unless you plan to keep the car for the next five years and plan to wear it out. The cost differential need to be big so do your sums first

LPG, if fitted by an experienced fitter is clean, cost beneficial and used around the world with no detrimental effects (other thana small power loss) as BMW engines have valve seats that are compaible with LPG.

LPG can also take and likes high compression like the 840 but early 850 will lose power more so than the 40 (10:1 OR HIGHER).

I ran a 4ltr Aussie Ford on LPG for 500,000 klms and only the crash at the time is what prevented more klms. I converted my current Ford to gas but I did te math and realised it would take 3 years to breakeven. I intend to run this one as my daily ride while the 8 only gets used for 3,00 to 4,00klms anually. Our costs are 50c/ltr Gas to $1.20 Petrol (Average)

Think carefully and do the maths otherwise I would recommend it

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Hi Aykut as Theo said I have converted my 95 840 to run on lpg the cost was £2000 but as I do around 800-1000 miles a week it is well worth it, the conversion took 3 days and as I have done over 70,000 miles on gas in the last two years it has paid for itself. I agree if you plan to run your 8 as an everyday driver it would not make economic sense to convert.

• Thanks friends for your replies,the thing that I wanna know most was whether the lPG systems kills the engine.Some people think like that around here and this makes me frightened.As some you converted your cars,this made me feel good.last week,I talked to a taxidriver and he told me that it was the best way to drive a car for long kms with using lPG and also added that it was not possible to drive a car for 500000kms in even good conditions in dusty roads with only using unleaded gas...As some of you converted,this made me really good that I can see people that really know these things and that you thought like me...Thanks...If there are any extra comments about the disadvantgeous effects of lpg,I'd love to read.Thanks again... :D

• LPG rocks!

Hi Guys,

I am running wy 91 850i on LPG. My installer combined two full straight six installations on one 90l tank. It runs great, maybe a little rougher than on 95 gas. Mileage is even little bit better than on gas. Conversion cost me about 5k euro, which i will recoup in less than a year with my mileage.

I have run it on LPG for about 25k kilometers now without any complaint and the savings are very nice here in NL.

Is mine the only 850 on LPG, or does anone else have one too?

• Hi Im running lpg on my 840 and was wondering about the availability of lpg stations in Holland, Im planning a trip and wanted to know if I could fill up easily also how much a litre are you paying?
    Thanks Mark.

• LPG in NL

Hi Mark,

NL is really the LPG country. You can fill up almost at any station as long as its not dab in the middle of city centre. Costs is about 50 eurocent a litre (little more along highways, less in further away places). Do make sure you have the bajonet nozzle screw on to be able to fill up (i'm not sure what nozzle type you use in UK, but i know belggium and germany and france are different from nl, but you can usually get screw on conversion nozzle in stores).

In short, no problem here in NL to get LPG. that's why i converted (used to drive volvo's on LPG).

What kind of installation do you have on the 840?

• Ive got an adaptor which you need in the UK the same as NL, Ive got an AVML Dream system fitted similar to you I have 2 4cylinder kits running off a 70ltr tortoidal tank which means no spare tyre but only been caught out once with a puncture and got my breakdown service to bring me home.

Glad to hear good availability of lpg stations over there, I will be staying in Castricum (I think thats how you spell it) with a friend in December if you are near there maybe could meet up.

Thanks for the information, Mark

• Do you guys still have your original fuel tanks ?

Theres a website in the uk that does the conversion and has done one on an 840. It looked quite compelling until I got to the CSI section, they are about 50% more expensive to convert!

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• Peter thank you very much for your kind invitation I would be pleased to meet some fellow 8 owners in NL :D

I will let you know nearer the time when I will be there, maybe I could bring over some other UK owners ?

Thanks Mark.

• Shiggsy I still have petrol tank and can switch over instantly, handy for some balls out stuff cos there is a slight loss in power on lpg but not enuff to put me off as Im paying 38p per litre.

The website you have seen might be http://www.go-lpg.com if it is then the silver 840 is mine.

Apparently as Bass850 says you need in effect 2 6cyl kits for an 850 and 2 4cyl for 840.

My tank fits in spare wheel well but you can have cylinerical tanks of a much larger capacity up to 200 litres but you lose boot space.

Mark.

• Mark ,peter & all guys interested.

If youre all keen on this idea of a meet in Holland than why dont we try & make it happen in the true sense of an 8 series community.

Im sure a few others would like the chance of crossing the Channel :D

Please post your interest.

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!