Manual transmission conversion for 840ci

• I am considering one of beauties, and I was wondering if anybody has attempted a manual conversion of the automatic V-8. I did a search with no info. I think a tastefully modded 840 (or 850?) would provide a nice "inexpensive" alternative to a 550/575 Maranello.....

I know the 850 had a 6 speed option, unsure if the 840 had the option - even in Europe.

Has this been performed by anyone? Until I lose my right arm, I'm a manual shifting man!!

While I am at it, does anyone know of a V-8 M5 transplant into an 8 series?

The 8 series seems more beautiful every day - especially when compared to some of the newer designs!! Depreciation has made them a real bargain, very nice examples are available for under 20k.

Thanks for any info...

• Hi

There are some number of 840 six speeds in Europe but none were imported to the US.

The E34 540 six speed is useable for conversion. Conversion is on my list if the 5 speed auto ever gives up in my '95 840 :D

I have heard folks dreaming of M5 to 840 engine conversion but I'm not sure that it would fit under the low hood of the 8. The 760 V12 has too many valve control lumps on the front of the heads to fit.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• T 56 6 speeds are an ideal swap also. Bellhousings can be fabricated or bought from various manufacturers but the pedal box requires a fair deal of early manual BMW parts

Stay tuned as I pick the brains of a Melbourne owner who recently did an early 850 and is about to collect a 3.9 diff gear set

Cheers

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Thanks for the info, I'll start my quest searching for a Euro 840 6 speed conversion first as I suppose it'll be the easiest.

I think I can adequately boost the power of the 4.0/4.4 (rather than refit an e39 M5 V-8) a bit, after all it's more of a high speed G.T. than a true sports car.

Thanks for the responses, e46 M3 owner and "8" dreamer....

• Where are you located?

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• There were a few hundred 840Ci produced with the 6-speed gearbox, and I have one of them :) Couldn't imagine one with a slushbox, the V8 works so well with the manual box as it has loads of torque for when you're in lazy mood, but encourages you to get the revs up above 4,000 RPM when you're pressing on.

I also love the way I can sit in a lower gear around town to keep the revs around 3,000, giving it the odd stomp of the accelerator so it belts out that lovely V8 roar 8)

All I can say is: go for it. It's an absolute shame that so many of the E31s were half-baked with a slushbox; fine for a 7-series, but not the 8.

• Paul,

you are one lucky SOB. I was of the opinion there were only 46 of those 6 speeders built. Let me know where you park it?

Cheers

Lightfingers!

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Where I live, well that's an odd issue now. I am in government (U.S.) service and work out of Nassau in the Bahamas. I have two years left on my tour, and I can't wait to get back to the states - to rekindle my car hobby in earnest!!.

I have a rental in South Florida with a large detached workshop/garage where I keep my M3. I usually try to get over once a month or so to exercise my BM and check on the property. Well, enough of my personal bits, back to the machines....

Wow, only a few hundred V-8 6 speeds built - that presents a bit of a challenge to find one. I have to admit being a bit jealous of the good fortune of Paul to attain a 6 speed 840.....

I'll be looking for a nice 8 with a bonus of having no pressure to pick one up immediately. My M3 fits the bill nicely now, although I see an "8" in my future.

I'm glad I located this forum, very sincere "adult" responses (as oppossed to the M3 forum where ill written sometimes childish responses are common...) from fellow enthusiasts. Thanks all, Mark

• The reason that I asked where you were is that there are no US spec 840 six speeds.

Prices in Europe seemed to hold up well for them and importing one legally would likely cost more than the conversion of a US spec car.

I would suppose that Legally is the key word. Those folks at DOT seem bent on following the rules :(

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I can't understand anyone's need for a stick shift and a heavy clutch :?

What you V8 boys need is more power to push the old girl along :D

Get yourselfs a Supercharger stick it in S mode, you'll never crave a manual box again.

Since the conversion,i've noticed not only the rev limiter has been massaged a little but also the up changers of the auto box are almost totally smooth, as for holding a gear to keep the revs up, pull the lever back a notch or two while in S mode, she'll make all the V8 noises man could want.

Can you tell I'm a happy bunny :D:D:lol: just back from a blast :!:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• How about a supercharged 6 speed 840, eh?

Steve - What supercharger system do you have in your car?
    Terry - If you use a 6 speed conversion from and E34, what do you do with the ECU and electronics? What pedal cluster do you use? What about getting an complete engine and 6 speed trans from and e39 540i?

I hope you guys were serious about this...(can't tell if there's any sarcasm)...but I do dream of a forced induction, manual trans 840!

Cheers,

John P.

• 57 840Ci were produced in RHD (that includes both the 4.0 and 4.4 models). How many remain I have no idea, but chances are that at least a few have been written off somewhere along the line :(.

Yes I was very fortunate to have found mine, the strange thing was I wasn't even looking for an 8, just came across it browsing. And I didn't realise how rare the 6 speed is until after I'd bought it.

• Zitat von stevep840

I can't understand anyone's need for a stick shift and a heavy clutch :?

What you V8 boys need is more power to push the old girl along :D

Get yourselfs a Supercharger stick it in S mode, you'll never crave a manual box again.

For the same reason I crave a car with a steering wheel and pedals: I want to drive the car, not be driven by some electronic gagetery in the car 8)

I agree that the 8 could be doing with a bit more power to pull along its lardy ass, but TBH given a choice between a standard 6-speed or a supercharged slushy I'd take the 6-speed every time. Power doesn't make up for driving involvement IMO, it's the same reason cars like the Merc S55 AMG don't excite me - it may have 500 BHP but you feel like a passenger when driving it.

BTW I heard that the Getrag 6-speed is very strong and that 600 BHP isn't out of the question :shock:. You'll certainly need an uprated clutch with anything close to that kind of power.

Paul.

• My Uncle had a SL 55 AMG, Nearly shit my pants :!: & i was only a passenger :shock: Never before have i exprienced such poise, power & refinement, I'm waiting till i can afford one, still way too expensive for me :(

• Zitat von stevep840

From what i understand John, The ESS Supercharger on a manual trany can run at a higher pressure & should give around 440 bhp.

Go for it :D

Steve,

Is that the blower set up you're running? I'm not familiar with that brand. Any links? What's it cost?

I'm waiting on words of wisdom from Terry on the manual set-up.

I do share some of Paul's view's on the "driving feel" of a manual...because there are days that my left foot twitches in my 8 after I had driven my Impreza.

Cheers,

John P.

• John take a look at http://www.esstuning.com thats where mine came from, whilst they don't list for the 8 a 540 kit will do, cost around EUR5000

I know what you mean, left foot syndrome, for me living in a area of steep hills combined with traffic lights,i know why i love the slush box :D

• Ask your uncle to take you round a few corners in the Merc... you'll really fear for your life then :lol:

When I hired a car in the US it was auto - as much as I tried I couldn't find a hire company with manual cars :oops:. Getting used to not having a clutch wasn't too bad, but every time I came to a stop I found myself trying to put the car into neutral with my left hand, hitting my hand off the door :lol:. I'm a habitual "handbrake and neutral" type when stopped mainly because it's better for the brakes when they're hot, but judging by the number of glowing brake lights at every stop I got the impression that I was the only person in the country who uses the handbrake!

• Hi Paul

Look's like we' re poles apart, but each to their own :)

The point you made re handbrake at lights is to be expected from drivers not familar with auto boxes, the owners manual states it is better to apply the brake whils't in D, and not to use P or N & use the handbrake :wink:

• I hope you don't mind replacing your brake discs often then ;) Using the handbrake and releasing the brake pedal prevents the pad material being baked onto the hot disc, effectively ruining the disc (the effect commonly descriped as "warped discs"). OK it won't matter around town, but after a hard run on country roads or coming to a sudden stop from high speed like after leaving a motorway I'll always apply the handbrake and release the footbrake.

PS I agree we are probably worlds apart 8). I've thought of buying a Lotus Exige but you'd probably shudder at such raw unrefinement! It's all about the driving experience ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!