Rolling roadreport/supercharger!

• Well just back with the old girl from the rolling road, don't know if any of you guys have watched your pride and joy screeming at full tilt on the rollers but i for one did begin to question my sanity,not an exprience i'd like to do again :shock:

However,after a blown pressure pipe was fixed :!: i can state (sadly) that i havn't made the 400bhp club ,399.9 bhp i cannot hide my disapointment in that being ,11.1 lower than stated,but to my astonishment the torqe curve topped out at 449.8lbs a massive 36% improvement from standard

Afterwards they did a timed/ measured run (on a private road) recording a top speed 158mph 0- 60 mph in 5.3secs 0- 100mph was looking like beingaround 11 secs but backed off due to a vibration that did'nt feel good , i suggested that ,we go for a coffee &let her cool down :!: poor thing.

At that point i decded i'd had used enough nervous energy for one day :!:

So now i have to find the viberation :( but to sum up when your foot is in the carpet this is some machine,entirely normal when driven smoothly,fue consumption takes a hammering at these testing speeds 13.2mpg, but considering 36.6mpg obtained last weekend on a 80-90mph 140 round trip, i'd say it is a fantastic conversion that any keen V8 man must consider :D l

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Hi Steve!
    If i were you i'd be chuffed as bugger :!:
    I was always under the impression that torque was a more important figure than the horses. Those actual (not claimed) figures sound impressive enough to me :D
    Lets hope the suns out Sunday :!:
    Les

• Yeah you're right Les, torque is what acceleration is made off.

So impressive was the torque,that when they floored it on the rollers she kept wanting to jump off the rollers so they kept on attaching ancoring straps to hold it down :shock: NOT a visually enjoyable exprience :!:

• Hi Steve. What engine revs did the torque max out at? High torque at high revs is ideal so you stay in gear longer and change later so you have higher revs in the new gear.
    Sounds good, glad you're happy with it. Mine has to go though. Change of career and life-style means I need to save money for a year or two and no 8 ever did that. I'll probably get another one though if everything works out to plan.

Anybody know anyone who wants one. I'm looking for £6,000 for quick sale. (see my ad in classifieds)

• Peter hi neighbour,yes i'm well happy with the conversion, only hope i can keep a clean license to enjoy it!!. :(

Presently the car is back in gloucester getting the big brakes fitted (definatly a requirement) + a 2 nd hand M5 diff, should get the 0-60 under 5 secs (watch this space), to answer your question----

The torque of 449 lbs was at 4421 revs ie approx 144 mph, the BPH was would you believe it 399.9( bastard) i really hoped it would be over 400 hp top speed was 159 mph & power @ the rear wheels was 309 bhp. :D

Once the diff is fitted i'll be looking for a decent road to get some 0-60 runs in, Know any :!::D:D

• Hey Parksie,

just discovered the article 450 & 400 huh. Im impressed!

And for those who reckon 399 is not close enough, I have a 7.5 inch
    d%*k. Perhps if I used your measuring device I might not be such a stud after all!

.1 off the mark will do me Steve. Now what boost did you say you run? and do you have an intercooler yet? Threr is a bunch of power for free when you can get the mix temperature down.

Here in Oz it's rare to see or hear about a blown engine (Turbo or Charger) on any streetie that doesnt have cooler I hear some big gain %'s quoted bu the old fella example may be a trueism here too. Perhaps you might explore that if you havent already.

Still Maturing disgracefully

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Hi Steve, it sounds great. As for roads down here, that's a tough one. The first ones that come to mind:
    A30 from Longrock to Penzance (past the heliport up to the newish Penzance bypass
    Then to try short accel, brakes, cornering, the road from the Penzance bypass to St Just (By the way, St Just has just about the best fish and chip shop in Cornwall)

The Penzance to Helston coast road used to be good, but I've not been there in a while and I can imagine all sorts of speed limits and cameras these days. What is the world coming to?

Then there's all that new road that feeds the new University colleges around Penryn (going from Redruth to Falmouth, in Penryn turn right just after Ocean BMW)

There's some good road, depending on traffic of course, off the A30 at Chiverton towards Newquay

Have fun

• Boost pressure is set at 6lbs because of the auto box, can go up to 7lbs on the manual box cars but as for a intercooler :?: i just can't see where it would go there is not enough room left for a tin of Tuna :!: So much so my screen wash is now a plastic bag :!::!::D

• Hmmmm 6lb,

conservative, but safe to say the least. I almost need one now Steve. I might just go talk to my mated who used to manufacture.

I reckon you might be surprised at what you can still get under the main cowl in front of the standard cooling fan. I reckon you would move the tranny cooler and get in in front of the fan. A truck cooler from a wrecker and a hacksaw till it fits the space then get someone with a TIG welder, some aluminium (Aluminum for the US guys) scraps and a hammer and dolly and there is your 400 broken with ease.

Seriously Steve, hit the web and do some research. From what I have seen there is another surprise hidden in there

cheers

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Guys many thanks for the tips but intercooling will have to wait :( i've had it with spending on the 8 this year :o ,and as for ripping out the back seats i've also considered that because they are no use anyway, but maybe when ££££s allow

• Post count climing :!:

On the subject of Intercooling you have to understand that we guys in the UK are breathing air some 15degrees cooler than most anyway,so maybe not much point for us POMS 8)

• Mate,

don't you know you are being had? It's 12 bloody degrees here and getting colder by the minute. We are not that much different except you poor buggers cop it longer and with more rain and mist and 4pm darkness.

Check out the cooling thing, seriously. They fit them on lots of Euro trucks that are built for the euro market and it's not to add cost.

If you look hard youll find a scale that shows percentage power increase for every one degree drop at certain ambient temps.

Don't be fooled into believing that low ambient temp means low temp after the supercharger. The actual compressing process generates more heat than you would ever think about. A good example is a small compressor for say, paint spraying or tyre inflating. Look and see the cooling fins that are located on the pipes from the compression chamber to the main tank or at a diving tank as it is being filled from a compressor. Often they are submerged in a water tank the shed the heat generated.

If you cant find the table of temp drop let me know. I saw one in a car mag a few months back.

And by the way ZF rates the 5HP30(ours) tranny at 56o NM which is 410 foot/ Lbs of torque so while you are a little over I would be happy to exceed that by at least 10% to 15% just knowing how conservative a company like ZF needs to be for liability and warranty reasons.

cheers from da grump!

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Theo i've checked out the intercooling issue and it all comes back to that magical 400 bhp figure. :!:

They wont offer any further mods due to the transmition only being capable of say 440 bhp, so be fitting a intercooler thus improving efficiency & increasing BHP is a no no :(

heres a photo of the coversion as asked for by many, sory for the delay

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!