850 loss of power

• hi everyone, My 850 developed a miss and a dramatic loss of power
    with a lot of what smells like unburnt petrol coming from the left hand
    bank, but virtually nothing coming out of the right hand bank.
    Now and again the power would come back but only for a very short
    time. The only other thing is a very strong smell of what can only be
    described as hot tar or bitumen. As yet diagnostics has come up with
    Lambda problem or fuel to fat(there was plenty of that). I wondered if
    anyone had any thoughts on the problem. I will keep you all informed
    as to what my local independant garage comes up with. :!:
    all the best,

Ron.

• Hi Ron

Sounds like you are getting a bad air/fuel mixture reading to one side of the bank and computer is compensating by reducing fuel/air mix to the other bank. I think its your MAF's(mass air flow sensors), if not then check O2 sensors lambda,

Zoran AU

• Has anything been replaced on the car lately?

O2 sensors or ?

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• 850 two alternators

hello, can anyone tell me does the 850 1992 have two alternators ........ have no power going to my bateries any idear please post a.s.a.p :?

• Re: 850 two alternators

Zitat von lez

hello, can anyone tell me does the 850 1992 have two alternators ........ have no power going to my bateries any idear please post a.s.a.p :?

Only one alternator standard equipment. A second was an option but not installed in many cars.

There is a Fuseable link that cuts off all power to the engine when it blows.
    Should be in one of the big wires near the right battery.

Starter and alternator do not go thru it but it disconnects the + post by the engine.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• First thing I would check are the coils. If you smelled hot or burning tar/bitumen. I would suspect one or both coils has suffered a meltdown. Feel the coils (engine off and cool) around the bottom for melted tar, a hole in the coil or any evidence of a tar like substance under the coils.

• HI, Lambda sensors have been checked and the readings are very
    similar and seem to be OK. They are now checking the cats to see
    if 1 has blocked, if so i will take both off as my car was registered
    before August 1992 so does not have to have cats fitted. Does anyone
    know if anything is required to be done to ECUs or can the engine
    and electronics compensate.
    Many thanks
    Ron.

• 850 loss of power

Hi, update on the loss of power on my 850. Well not alot has happened
    but the garage is looking at the fuel pressure regulator. One has been ordered up and will take about 10days to deliver, so i will wiat anxiously
    to see if it will solve the problem. The only other hiccup seems to be
    getting in to the diagnostics and then not always being able to wipe the
    memory.( just keep disconnecting the batteries) Apart from that the
    car now has no cats( one was drowned with petrol and we have stuffed
    the other one ). Will keep you up to date as i get info.

Many thanks, Ron

• Ron,
    Even if you have no cats on your car now you still need to attach the O2 sensors on the exhaust pipe. Weld it on.
    If you don’t, you will experience massive loss of power.

To test the fuel pressure regulator block the return fuel hose (at the back of the engine in the engine bay, passenger side on LHD car) with the engine running. This will create pressure in the intakes and bypass the fuel pressure regulator.

I still think its your MAF's. To test those, with the car running, disconnect the plug and look for rpm change. If the rpm drops then that one is good and check the other side. If there is no change in the engine rpm you need to replace that one.

Did you cached the coils like wuffer suggested?

Hope you get your car back on the road soon

PS. You shouldn’t need to disconnect the batteries that many times

• Hi folks, On the subject of air flow meters, does any one know if they should glow when working or not. A dealer mechanic suggested they should not but on the bank that seems to work correctly the meter glows which is contradicting? :?

• 850 air flow meters

Hi all, Well my car is now fixed(not up and running because the
    radiator develloped a leak, but thats easy) and Zoran was right it was
    the air flow meter and one has been purchased and the car is now as
    it was except now the cats are gone so i will have to see once the
    radiator is fixed if it is noisier and whether it has any more power :?:
    Thanks for all the help and advice from the best club there is, all
    for now, ron

• Ron, glad i could help, and im glad that the power loss is now fixed on your 850. And i have to agree with you, best thing about our cars is the support that they get here.

Your car should be a monster now with no cats. You should have more then 25% more power now, and even up to 40% for a well designed 55mm pipes. Now that is a massive power increase.
    Also, it will use much more fuel now with no cats.

Let us know how it goes ones you get it back from the shop.

• Air flow meter on 850

Hi Guys,
    An update on my car, i now have it back and it is running as it should,
    i have not had a chance to put it through its paces yet but it is running
    as smooth as ever and still brings a smile to my face every time i
    drive it. I got the air flow meter and the radiator from Euro car parts.
    Many thanks once again,

Ron :)

• i wonder if thats my problem too? ? if the air meter goes bad... does it load up the cat. with fuel? is that why u said one of ur cats was loaded with fuel do u think?

• Same problem

Wow, this forum is great.

I just picked up my 1991 850i and on the drive home, noticed the burning tar smell and it got worse and worse and actually started smoking on the exhaust when I would stop.

Along the way, I consulted a few mechanic shops and they just thought it was an engine oil or transmisson leak that was collecting on my exhaust system as I drove and when I stopped it just smoked until it burnt off and just checked the oil or trans fluid.

I live 1500km from a BWM dealer ( I also have a 1999 Z3 Coupe ) I live in Northern Canada ( 600 miles south of Santa, at the end of the road ) so I have a local guy that works on my vehicles ( I also have a 2000 996 C4) he thought that the other guys had their head up wear the sun doesn't shine and thought it maybe a cat problem and the overheating was causing it to melt the undercoating.

So it sounds like he may be right according to what you guys in the forum are saying. I will pass the info on to him as he still is checknig out the car and the problem. Wow if he can remove the cats and I can get more power.........what can be wrong with that.

Well the car is an amazing highway car, I thought I would never say this, but the ride is better than my 911, sure the 850 doesn't have the low end get up and go as the Porsche has ( the 911 is an all wheel drive so it grabs pretty good ) but it seems to me that at 120km per hour and if I slam the pedal to the floor the 850 has just as much go as the 911 and that is amazing.

I also have a pixel problem, but surfing around on this site is very reassuring that others have similiar problems and are very willing to share their solutions.

Thanks alot

Ric Bolivar
    Yellowknife, NT
    Canada

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!