99 MY Options for 840 ?

• Hi , Just bought a 99 840Ci Sport Individual and would like to understand what options were available on those cars for the UK market ?

Anyone got any ideas ?

Thanks,

Mark

PS: Had a 55 Plate 630i Coupe and still came back to E31 !

• Wayne, The car (pick up on Sat) is a 99 T plated , 2 owner ,FSH , 840Ci Sport Individual 74k miles....Calypso Red which is very different from the Estoril Blue I wanted to get ...cost £11k ?

Looked at lots of cars before deciding on this one ....everything from 100k+ miles through to 40k ....most v good cars (remembering I've just got out of a 55 plate 630i as a comapny car -so I wanted something as clean as poss !) seem to be 10-14k from dealers but there looks to be some great private sales (I needed to p/x a Jeep so had to go trade)...Found this site v v useful in terms of knowing what to look out for !

I would say (finances permitting) go for a M62 Sport as new as you can(seemed to be loads of 97 cars around?) , having run a 80k miles Ferrari 412 ...I prefer cars that have been used a bit rather than stuck in a garage gathering dust and even the big mile E31's I looked at still represent both great value and are mechanically bulletproof if looked after ?(Well compared with V12 Ferrari's).

God luck in your search ..

Mark

• on a '99 840Ci Sport there were very few items that were not standard. These would be:-

Heated seats
    Electric Rear Blind
    Electric steering adjustment
    headlight washers
    Extended leather or full leather interior
    different wheel packages

Most, however had the rear blind and headlight washers.

• Model Year 1999 Options

As said, there were few options for the 1999 840CiA, unless you got the 840CiA sport version.

Contact us at www.8coupe.com/contact.aspx with the last 7 digits of your VIN and I'll send you the raw build sheet.

For M62 840CiA, these numbers apply:
    - 36 North American 840's
    - 47 Euro LHD/RHD 840's
    - 83 Total for 1996-99 M62 840's

Cheers,

• Arne;

Thank you for your information. By chance, are you familiar with the 2005 BMW 8 Series Inventory Project?

See here for the complete rundown: http://www.8coupe.com/about1.htm

All worldwide 840CiA's were cataloged with respective build sheets, etc. last year.

There were two levels of 840CiA sold in the UK. The regular and the sport versions. The sport versions were a UK only marketing package that expanded to other parts of Europe (e.g. Belgium). Do you have the 1997-99 UK BMW 8 Series brochure(s)? It clearly shows the differences between the two versions.

Here's a page from the very last UK 8 Series brochure that shows there were differences between the sport and base versions. The sport versions basically had some of the CSi body cladding, special paint, and most were processed by BMW Individual:

<center>

</center>
    Specifically:

M62 840CiA StepTronic RHD

Beginning chassis number: CC66000, 09/95
    Ending chassi number: CC67485, 05/1999

Total built in this range: 1,470

Most of these went to the UK with a smattering to Australia and New Zealand.

More on chassis information here:
    http://www.8coupe.com/chassis.htm

For the UK Shipments, go here:
    http://www.e31.net/lieferungen_e.html (listed under Great Britain)

Again, thank you for attempting clarity. If there's additional information you possess with sources that you'd like to share about the UK 840CiA's, then please do! We're all about sharing information here...and the more precise we can be, the better!

• Was Cruise Control an option or standard?
    Some cars also had PDC and you could specify different head units , such as BMW "Professional" rather than the standard "Business" fitment.
    I have been told that the tint band in the rear window was also an option, but have no idea if this is the case or not.

Nice looking car by the way. :)

• Order Options

Cruise Control - Standard

PDC - Special Order option (available as a dealer-installed option or factory order option)

BMW Business RDS Radio - Standard (Code 669)
    BMW Professional RDS - Option (Code 670)
    BMW 6 CD Changer - Standard (Code 672)
    (Note: Most UK-based radios were the Business RDS version)

Graduated Tint for front and rear screens - Option

The UK 840Ci brochures are on eBay all the time. The most collectable one is the LAST one printed:
    Part number 9 11 08 01 21 1 (printed 02/1999)

All the options listed are in this brochure. Below is a snapshot of some of the options available.

<center>

</center>

Cheers,

• Jud,

I think that most, but not all 840Ci Sport were processed by BMW individual.

I have seen some that are non-Individual and I think that most of the late Individals were BMW UK or dealer-specified in batches to give the car something extra to help it sell in its last years.

UKZero, the tint-bands were extras in the UK and the Professional radio is different in that it has two tuners to keep track of the best signal. the second tuner on early models is in the boot. I I think later ones were all-in-one. The Professional units are Becker and the Business ones tend to be Philips.

I have a complete 1997 brochure which shows he normal and Sport versions of the 840Ci. Both are listed at exactly the same £56,000, but obviously the Sport was the better purchase as it came will many options as standard. If you wanted EDC (option), however, you had to go for the non-Sport.

• BMW Individual

Arne:

You wrote:

Zitat

I think that most, but not all 840Ci Sport were processed by BMW individual.

Could you help me understand where you obtained your information? In reviewing the 1,470 build sheets for the M62 RHD 840CiA, I come up with a different conclusion in regards to BMW Individual and the Sport Version. I think your post confused me more than clarify.

Also, you wrote:

Zitat

most of the late Individals were BMW UK or dealer-specified in batches to give the car something extra to help it sell in its last years.

As previously mentioned, this marketing exercise began in the UK for the 1997 model year and then spread to other parts of Europe in 1998. It's well documented that BMW UK did a superb job of marketing the car by adding some of the CSi body equipment and offering ///M paint colors.

Regarding your information on EDC:

Zitat

If you wanted EDC (option), however, you had to go for the non-Sport.

Hmmm...look up the page at the 1999 Options brochure. It says you can have EDC with the Sport Version. For 1997, you may be right. I'll have to re-look at the brochures from 1997 and 1998 to verify. Perhaps you misunderstood UK Zero? He mentioned PDC (Park Distance Control), not EDC. PDC was available on both versions.

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Cheers,

• Have now acquired a 1997 brochure.
    EDC is available on both Ci (£1350) and Ci Sport (£905).

I hoped to work out what my car cost new, but there is no PDC in the brochure and I've no idea what the individual two tone leather cost

• My 1997 brochure with price-list for options says that EDC was only available on the 840Ci, but perhaps this changed later. However, the point of the Sport was that it was supposed to have had the ///M suspension package in which EDC was not a part. Still, compared to a CSi, the 840Ci Sport is still soft. I guess in the last few years all and everything was offered to help shift the cars.

Jud, in my 1997 brochure/options/price-list there is no mention of "Individual" and when looking at various cars I came across quite a few non-individual 840Ci built 1997-1998. I think that by 1998-1999, most were sold as dealer specified or BMW-UK specified Individuals. This is what happened with the outgoing of the E38 and E39, with many "Individual" cars showing up at the dealer showrooms to clear the last of them. I say 'BMW-UK-specified' because most (all) were to almost "standard" combinations of trims and colours, although different to the previous normal production variants.

I have no official information with regards to the e31, but just from seeing quite a few non-idividual 1997 and 1998 840Ci Sport, I came to that conclusion. Also, as I said, a couple of years later in 2001, this was repeated with the E38 and while many of the 2000-2001 cars were "individual", not all of them were. Funnily, if in 2000-2001 you ordered a car to your spec, you were probably less likely to get an "Individual" one, as the latter were already pre-specified and awaiting on dealer showrooms.

My 1997 e31 price list does strangely give the same price for both the Sport and non-Sport 840Ci, but the latter had more kit in terms of bigger, wider wheels, sports suspension and M-trimmed steering wheel and the CSI mirrors etc. But, there are regular 840Ci that I have seen (UKzero's car for example) that also had the CSi spoilers and mirrors, like the Sport.

I see from your 1999 price/options list that Individual is mentioned as a No-cost option and so that might account for the prevalence of 1998-1999 Individual cars. On my 1997 brochure individual was not mentioned. This may also explain why, for example, one or two individual 1997 cars that I have seen are truly Individual with full leather interiors and more intersting colour and trim combinations (not just the front seat piping to match the paintwork colour).

• Think, Judging by the response that a option availabilty year by year , region by region would be a good addition to the site ?

With local pricing would be interesting ?

Mark

• Hi, I also have a 97 840ci Sport, ahem, 'individual' in Met Black.

As far as I can tell the individual-ness manifests itself only in the seat piping. It has silver grey leather and charcoal piping. There is a plate under the bonnet stating it is 'individual' but my guess is that the original owner did not have a love of toys, or had bit off more than he could chew when ordering the car in the Dealership, and didnt realise that he would have to pay extra for everything you'd expect in a presitge car in excess of fifty grand.

So here is list of things my car was considered not worthy of owning...

Cruise Control
    Heated Seats
    Rear Blind
    EDC
    Professional Stereo
    Headlamp Washers
    GloveBox Torch
    PDC
    Decent Speakers
    Tinted Rear Glass
    And for a while I didnt have ABS or ASC, but thats another story...... (see other posts)

I'm convinced this guy would have had wind up windows and manual seats if he could ! At least there is less to break I guess :D

I did get Turbine Alloys though, but I will be selling these soon(ish) to fit new 18 or 19s when funds permit.

Despite all this I love the car and when deciding to buy an 8 I waited 3 - 4 months for a car to come up for sale in the Black and Grey Leather combo, with Sport Kit, and with under 80K on the clock. For the sake of a few gadgets I wasn't prepared to wait any longer. (it had already been 12 years...)

Yours from an 840ci Spartan Individual 8)

• Tall Tony

According the the 1997 price list I'm holding in my mits, coloured piping was a £300 option on the regular options list.
    Your car must have some other mysterious "Individual" characteristic?

Mind you from other posts - it seems that the variation in BMW price list details varied almost daily - so who knows?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!