Grinding / rubbing noise from rear of car

• Bilsteins bought and on their way :D Thanks for finding them Schnitz.

$125 shipping to UK though, making total price £430ish. No doubt I'll have to pay a little import duty on arrival too, but I am prepared for that. Still way cheaper than anywhere else I could find, and the dollar exchange rate is in my favour too....

Waiting for full diagonis on the rear noise from dealers, Sept 5th (as this is favour they're doing me), and then will get them fitted all at once with whatever repairs need doing to the mounts etc....

• ok, for anyone with similar noises/problems here is the full diagnosis of my issues, as identified from Dealership, and from leading BMW independent in my area :

Rear creaking/rubbing noise caused by perished Rear Trailing Arm Bushes @ £100 each

Front 'Knocking' Noise when under load/steering caused by Centre Tie Rod 'failure'. Needs replacing in full @ £140ish for the item.

Rear 'Knock' caused by Rear Ball Joint Nearside Ball Joint @ £35 each, and Upper ShocK mounts @ £20 each. Best to replace both sides - they have both done the same amount of miles !

All shocks have pretty much had it, fronts worse than rears but I have a full set of new ones anyway, Bilstein @ £450 full set. BMW replacements would have cost in the region of £1300 for set.

Dealership also recommends full wheel Alignment after all work done @ £250

So, some of the work I can do myself, some I will need to give to BMW, ie the Ball Joints & wheel alignment.

I am amazed, and alarmed that none of this was picked up by MOT Test centre, 3 weeks ago. Not even on the advisory sheet.

Going to be a while before everything is sorted out. Some consolation is that none of this would have been covered by the BMW Warranty that had just lapsed before I bought the car as it has covered over 60K. Something to bear in mind for people thinking that paying £1300 a year for this cover.

Cheers,

Tony

• Anyone got any idea on how many miles a set of shock should last with 'normal' use ?

Zitat

$125 shipping to UK though, making total price £430ish. No doubt I'll have to pay a little import duty on arrival too, but I am prepared for that.

Are you prepared for the VAT though ? Once you have the price of the goods, the postage, the import duty, then they apply the VAT which is obviously going to bump the price up quite a bit. Plus if no ones in when the courior calls, Parcel Force will charge you £13 for dealing with it. :(

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• hi, yes I've done this before with other non car related stuff. I meant Duty and Vat in my former post, combined they add around 30% to original purchase price. Sometimes they 'slip' through the net, and you get lucky, but mostly they dont and you have to pay a cheque on delivery.

Still often works out cheaper than UK suppliers, and you get better service, as a rule !! :D

Cheers,

Tony

• Tony,
    There are several independents that use the same computer tracking as BMW. I paid about £65 and it took a couple of hours and involved recording the fuel in the tank, and loading with sandbags at various places in the car.
    They made several adjustments, several times to the front and rear and the car now sits rock steady during driving (and will hopefully get the maximum miles from my new Eagles).
    I tried to be a scrooge and had the tracking done first at a local tyre place. Took them about 15 minutes and all they really managed to achieve was a scratched wheel rim. Lesson there.

Shiggsy,
    There is no fixed mileage for shocks (or any other suspension) on these cars to last. While looking at 8's to buy I must've crawled under loads and saw a 35,000 mile car with three shocks leaking, driving like a cart (the horse variety) and a 125,000 mile car on its first set, driving smooth as silk (didn't like the colour tho' so didn't buy it).
    Oh, and to add to Tony's comments about importing stuff. I have been stung on a number of occasions.As well as the VAT and Duty, there are also occasional extra "handling charges" that can appear from nowhere.
    You can refuse to pay, but you won't get your stuff!

• From the USA, Duty is charged at between 2.5% and 5% depending on the nature of the goods. Then VAT is added on top of the total, including the postage costs. Additionally, Parcelforce will then charge a £14 customs clearance charge on top. (Also, HMRC exchange rates are not usually as good as the actual ones.)

• At last...a million thanks to Tall Tony!

I have been reading your creaking problems with interest and I think you may have saved me a few needless trips to garages to try and sort it out. It is very noticeable when driving at slow speeds over any road surface and increases when the sterring wheel is turned either way. I guess thats because its putting more strain on the shocks.
    At last I can go to the local garage armed with your fact sheet and pretend I know what the problem is! Only solution so far has been to turn the radio up !!

Cheers

Steve

• Thought I'd get it back today, but whilst fitting new front shocks they found the upper mounts rubbers here were badly corroded. The leaking shocks have apparently caused this - I've been to see what they decribed and it checks out, but still another £110 each.

So to some up, work done is, Tie Bar, Trailing Arm Bushes x2, rear drop link, rear knuckle Joints x 2, rear upper shock mounts x2, and replace all 4 shocks with bilsteins (my favourite bit). Looking forward to seeing/feeling/hearing the new ride though been warned I'm gonna feel everything from now on so should get a decent chiropractor lined up....

The old shocks could be compressed by hand when off the car - I know cos I just an hour ago did it myself, but the bilsteins are virtually impossible to move. Should corner on rails as the saying goes :D

• only been to Plymouth once this year mate, back in March but should be there again in a month or so finishing a contract that has dragged on with the Unversity Library there - proverbial pain int 'tharse they've been about it. :twisted:

Sadly I'd be in my Van this time delivering the goods, which will be a much longer drive, timewise !! I'd be up for beer or three though if you could make it ?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!