At last I've found the one

• Hi all

Well I have just been to see another 8 and this time I think this is the one, some of you may have seen it on ebay and now its advertised on autotrader, (see pics below). He has it advertised well over the top but i've spoke to him and he is willing to accept 14k. At the moment he has a private plate fitted and he has sent all of the documents to change it back to the normal "T" plate.

He has said if no one else is interested once he has the new V5 & reg its mine for 14k :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Being totally honest there are a few minor bits and pieces which need attention,

* Alloys need some attention, he has said he has had a quote from BMW for £60 to repair the inside of the wheel, I take this is £60 each (sounds cheap to me)

* Usual stone chips on the bonet and front bumper, I will plan to get this done in a few months.

* The car has only done 52k but the leather looks a little tired, hopefully just a case of a good clean and condition should bring it up to scratch.

Apart from these few things everything seems to be ok.

The car itself is very tidy and has all the toys I wanted :D

So what do people think am I getting a good deal :?:

I would like to hear your honest opinions please.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

• Certainly looks nice Wayne. I saw this on Ebay too recently as I still like to check out 840s on the market every now and then.

For comparison, I paid £10400 for my 97, with 76K miles. It is however completely devoid of toys, ie no cruise, blind, heated seats, edc, electric steering column, headlamp washers, even the glove box torch isnt there. Less to go wrong I guess :roll: The guy had had a Bluetooth phone kit pro-installed which is good and works through the BMW stereo, but that really is it.

However I really really wanted the colour black in Sport Individual edition, the bodywork was fine, and the alloys were good, can I mention one more time that I've recently replaced them ha ha .......

I note yours has under 60K on it. If it is still under BMW Warranty, which btw costs £1300 per year to keep going, then I suggest you go through the car with a very very fine toothcomb because after this mark the warranty is a good as useless for the mechanical side of things. 60K is the cut off point for 'reasonable wear and tear' as my BMW dealer informed me, but before this point you could conceivably get a lot of stuff replaced for 'free' if it is going wrong. Get the AA or RAC to check it throughly, slip them a few quid to point out ALL things that look even slightly out and hey presto, you have the bargaining power to take it to the dealers and get them to lavish ££££s on it :D:D:D:D

Take the plunge mate, you'll love it.

• Its not got the warrantee still but I was going to get RAC to inspect it until I found out that they do not guarrantee their inspections, so it seems a bit of a waste of money, I have a mate who is a mechanic he has seen it today and has told me everything seems to be A1.

I have had a HPI check done so atleast I know everything is normal in that respect.

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• Hi Wayne,
    From your posts you've certainly seen a few now, so you should be able to put its price in context better than most of us.
    Only you can decide if it's worth £14k to you.
    Mine is older ('97) and with high miles (100k) and so should be worth much less, but the interior isn't "tired", it has every option, came with a BMW warranty, a Csi two tone interior and cost me £5500 less than you're thinking of paying (and that was eighteen months ago). So in my book you are paying top money. Perhaps prices are strengthening?
    If you aren't sure now, how will you feel once the bills start coming in?
    Everyone is different, but unless you're sure this car "has your name on it" try asking yourself this:
    If you had to sell it again immediately, how confident would you be to get £14k for it?
    If this is the car based in Kettering I am very near there.
    If I can help further I will.

• I think 14k is top money as you say but I am willing to pay that for it, as for reselling it well thats the big question but i'm not planning on selling it for many years and with only 52k on the clock I can afford to put 40k on the clock and it still wouldnt have past the magical 100k mark. On the bills front well i'm not overly worried about that, after all you have got to be prepared to pay out if we want these kind of luxurys in our lives.

Wayne.

• Yeah its an unusual colour,Im happy you like it,you must certainly know your way around an 8 now :D

BUT as you have asked i too think 14k is topdollar,there certainly seems at least 2 others on Autotrader , same milage (ish) for around 10K & one in Black for £16500 which looks magnificent in the pics.

If i were in your shoes, i'd have got a car yonks ago for 2/3rds of my available budget & then spent the rest getting it the way i wanted it :D but thats me ,it aint no good unless its been modded :!:

The end of the day mate,it dont matter diddly squat what we think, its your dosh, make yourself happy if you like it buy the bugger 8)

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• I dont know what to say to that, he seems the type of person where money is not a big issue. The smallest issue with the car and it goes straight into BMW to be repaired, so I think that this is a good sign

As for the interior I know I mentoned it as "tired", it is only a bit of slight wear on the drivers seats supports, as I said in my first post I know this can be fixed with a good clean and condition.

But I think the mud flaps would have to go.

Wayne.

• STOP WHAT ARE YOU DOING

All due respect and as much as the 8 youre intrested in is a tidy one but believe me the best 8 series for the money advertised is the one up for £16495, Its in green and the guy whos selling it is called bret. Hes an australian bloke who owns an audio company and he has fully kitted the car with after market toys you wouldnt get which would set you back a fortune all designed and installed by himself being a professional.Inc sat nav etc

The car has undergone a full respray not coz of an accident but coz he was fusy I think.

The car is in immaculate concours condition and sits on 19 inch Breyton magic alloys. The leather looks almost brand new no tears or marks even on the drivers seat. The car also has a top of the range clifford alarm and if I was going to spend 14k again I would have a look at this one before you entirely make up your mind, There is not one ding not one scratch or any swirl marks on the car.

I URGE YOU TO GO AND SEE THIS CAR YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED. MAYBE YOU CAN TRY AND KNOCK HIM DOWN TO 14K IF THATS WHAT YOURE WILLING TO PAY.

P.s just the toys and alloys on this car will set you back over 15K

• Bimmerman, regarding the 8 series that Bret is selling it has been reduced to 16k on pistonheads now, I have been in touch with him several times asking him if he is willing to come down to 14k and his answer was no, even if the car has got all the audio and sat nav gadgets in my eyes it shouldnt make the value that much more, these kind of mods are not to everyones taste, if someone wants a sat nav why not just buy a tom tom or similar :?:

Plus this car has more miles, is a year older than the one i'm interested in and doesnt have the toys I wanted.

Talltony, when I get the car (fingers crossed) I will post some pics, like yours the leather doesnt have any tears or marks just slight cracks.

I have been in touch with a upholstery company about the condition of the leather, once I get the car I am going to see what they suggest.
    As the leather is in A1 condtion everywhere else I may even consider getting the whole drivers seat re done.

Wayne.

• The good news is that the original leather seat covers are still available at the stealers :D:D

The bad news is that they want £990 for 1 full seat cover :shock::(

so probably like me use a good leather company to sort out the cracks & then youre :lol::lol::lol:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Hi, I’m new to these boards. The reason I have chosen this topic to announce my presence on here is because I noticed this 840ci sport was still available on auto trader.

It sounds from the spec, that this is exactly what I would be looking for when buying my 840. I say when buying, because I only decided last week that I wanted one, really wanted one!

Anyway, I was wondering if you had purchased this car. It sounds great! A late 940ci sport with under 50 thousand miles on the clock, exactly what I will be looking for come the time.

• Emotive subject this one! I did the same. Found a 98 840 Sport in Avus. made all of the errors that I really shouldn't have done. Saw it in the rain and decided the bodywork was pretty well immaculate. It was in London so couldnt really be bothered to take it for a 'spin'. What wouldve been the point after all? Sitting in stationary traffic for 20 mins would've proved nothing.
    Perfect drive home to Shropshire then as I always do [no creaking at this stage!] , gave the car a total polish. Found that one of the Alpina rims had a flat spot on it [£500.00] Decided to have the front end repainted as it had a few stone chips [ £900.00] Aircon wasn't working [£100.00] for new condenser and regas. Total overhaul of bushes etc due to creaking [ see Tall Tony and prev post £1300.00] and a service for peace of mind even though 3 lights were showing. Paid £13000.00 for the car so it owes me over £15000.00. But...I now know the car inside out and would I do anything different now? Never! Love it to bits . Just go for it...Whats the worst that could happen? Divorce...bankruptcy...or just sell the parts and you'll make more than the value as a whole.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!