Anyone Here changed the wheel bearings

• wheel bearings

Hey steve got a question for you

1. With wheel bearings how do yu know when they need replacing??

i.e will there be a sound coming form the wheels like rattlling?? or does it contribute to steering such as effecting the cars handlind??

2. If none of the above then what signs indicate that the wheels bearings need replacing??

Await your prompt reply

Thanks

• Whoops :!:

Front bearings Terry :D

My reason for changing them is due to the fact that 2 of the 5 threaded wheel bolt holes are f****d & the hub & the wheel bearing is one piece so i reconed it'd be best to change the pair :wink: .

The cause of this ,i dont know but it does seem that some hairy arsed garage mechanic might be to blame with his air gun :x:x

I've had a quick search on roadfly & as usuall plenty of info but due to the age of the post no pictures remain, apparently the Bearing cover /dome is a bitch to come of ,then one guy suggested a special puller, then someone else said it was easy with no special tools :!:

After 12years of obuse i'm happy to change any original part, but just dont want to balls it up :o

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• I have only personally changed a rear bearing on mine. I'll pay someone next time :( Serious pain if it has had the new style bearing installed.

The dust cover on the front hub/bearing is a "Do not reuse" and was only a few dollars for a new one anyway. So beating it up is probably the "Easy" and saving it the "Hard"

Everything else looked straightforward when I looked it up this weekend. The only special tool was a puller plate but the back edges of the hub should work.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Thanks terry, i see what you mean with the rear dust covers, new ones proved a bitch to get on as well :shock:

All that was needed was a 47mm 3/4 drive socket & a lot of muscle :!: ,,the old bearing came out in 3 pieces :shock: Hey should be like a new car now :D

• Ok job done and road tested & what a differance :D

Those little rattles that you think could be the start of bushes wearing have dissapeared :)

I know believe that anyone running larger than standard wheels/tyres should take a look at the bearings such is the differance,because all the extra load of the big wheels& 20mm spacers in my case seems to have taken its toll :wink:

• Glad to read about your result Steve,

I'm just about to change my front ones on monday and was hoping for a similar result.
    My problem is actually winding noise at high speeds, which only gets louder the faster I go and not noticeable at low speeds.

• Steve, you are absolutely spot on. Noise is completely gone. No more winding noises as speed, car is sooooooo smooooooooth and quite. Love it. Soooo much nicer to drive now. :D:D:D
    My car is getting better and better with age.

• I changed one front hub a few months ago…easy…new dust cover - absolutely Terry…and as you tighten the hub the leading edge of the bearing houses the dust cover perfectly ;-).
    However as I didn’t have torque settings and was in a rush, tightened the hub nut the old fashion way. I’ve got another two new front hubs and planning to change them symmetrically when I get a chance, because it does make a big difference.

What is the torque setting for both the front and rear hubs? anyone please?
    In fact for the rest of the suspension/drive train etc?

Terry - I have new hubs and a set of new bearings for the back as well (my hub problem is same as Steve – but unknowingly foiled attempt by an alloy wheel thief – I drove off in the car whilst the wheel nuts where already loosened off for a quick jack-up and steal :motz:). How bad is the job :banghead: ?

Regards
    Mat

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!