Cruise Control Retrofit

• Hello!

First post here so a short presentation: I'm a thirthy-one year old male from Sweden and I've recently bought a 1994 840Ci. A friend bought a 850 in the middle of 1990 and ever since then I've always wanted one of my own. I'll post a few pics in the showroom in a few months to show my beauty. I'm a design engineer and is currently in the spray booth and system ventilation business and mostly doing CAD work and calculations. When I'm not working I'm composing music and practicing motocross.

There was one con when deciding upon this car and that was the lack of a cruise control. It was an option here in europe I believe and the owner before me didn't want it and I find that very strange :? However, the condition, low mileage (94000 km/58409 miles) and the fact that the car was all original down to the rims made my decision pretty easy.

My question:

There was a cruise control kit available for the 1994 840Ci (PN 65719403116) but it's ended so I wonder what components did that kit exactly contain? I'll try to find used parts initially since I know that other models share the same parts.

I did a search on this forum, found a few posts about this matter but no post answering this question. Any experience on this or hints are greatly appreciated.

Great forum btw.

/Thomas

• Hi

I believe that the wiring should already be in the main Harness.

To find out what was in the main kit before it was discontinued email Dave or Paul here http://buybmw.com/access.aspx
    They should have it listed and are usually quite helpful to 8 owners.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Ok, email sent to Dave. While waiting for a reply I ask you who have a 1993-1999 840 to take some photos for me on the following objects:

A) Two pictures - One so I can see where the actuator is located and one more close up perhaps showing a bit of the bracket.

B) Picture(s) so I can see how the bowden cable is routed.

C) Picture so I can see where and how the bowden cable end is connected.

D) Picture on how the steering wheel column panel is opened for the cruise control switch.

E) Two pictures - One so I can see where the control unit is located and one more close up perhaps showing a bit of the bracket.

I would be very grateful for this information. I suggest upload to a personal gallery, maybe temporary, so I can grab the preferably high resolution photos there.

Happy new year to all of you!

/Thomas

• Hi Thomas

It is my own opinion that cruise control is totally impractical on todays overcrowed roads :shock: my 840 is fitted with cruise but get so fustrated when it's used that its easier to manage without.

Given the cost of retrofitting as is your plan I'd have thought it would have been better to have waited for a car with Cruise, however if i can help i will have a look around the car tomorrow, but it would seem to be most inaccesable let alone get up close for photo's

Hey we'll see what can be done.

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• I have a spare actuator and control stalk I removed from a 540i, I was planning on using them to retro fit cruise to my 840 but decided it was too much hassle. So if you need those bits let me know, you still need to get the bracket and cable as they are different to the 540i versions, and of course the loom and control unit.

• stevep840: As I said, I would be very grateful for pictures. I've been searching around this board for pictures revealing my wanted views, but haven't found anything useful. So if you or anyone with an 840 get the opportunity to take pictures for me, please do!

Paul_M: Thanks, but I've acquired the actuator and control unit at this point. Can you confirm that what's needed for the retrofit is:

CRUISE CONTROL ACTUATOR 65711378315
    ACTUATOR SUPPORTING PLATE 65718354629
    BOWDEN CABLE 65718354630
    CRUISE CONTROL SWITCH 61311393316
    CONTROL UNIT F CRUISE CONTROL 65711387625
    CONTROL UNIT BRACKET 61138354562

• I don't have any details with me, but that sounds about right. You may also need additional switches for the brake and clutch pedals, although I suspect these may already be present (at least the brake switch, which is often shared with the brake lights).

• Here are some pics from mine.
    The cable disappears under the cover on the left side and then loops back under the cover to connect to the throttle lever on the right. Sorry I wasn't enthusiastic enough to take the cover off but I have to take the tower strut bar off to get the cover off. Seemed a bit much today :(

The control unit is mounted on a flat plate on the back of the RH rear wheel well in front of the battery and has a rectangular blue connector.

• Zitat von stevep840

It is my own opinion that cruise control is totally impractical on todays overcrowed roads :shock: my 840 is fitted with cruise but get so fustrated when it's used that its easier to manage without.

It certainly seems to be pretty redundent in the UK, only time I use cruise control here is going through the motorway roadwork 50mph limits which are usually guarded by the Specs system.

It may be different in Sweden, I know when I have been driving in France I have used cruise control all the time on the motorways.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• TerryY: Thank you very much for the pictures!

Great! A, B, C and D taken care of. I found two additional pictures for C and D; one where the cover is removed and cable routing is visible and one showing the opening for the switch. Correct?

That leaves me with E left. Someone please take the last pictures :D

Since I have my car in a garage which is located quite a bit from me over the winter I can't get access to it very often, therefore I ask if the wiring is in the main harness and switches mounted, were are the contacts for the actuator and control unit hidden? I'm also that annoying kind of guy who does quite a bit of research before jumping into a project. I guess you know the type... :lol:

The traffic situation does of course depend on the time of day here in the south of Sweden. Speeding tickets are dirt expensive these days and I mostly travel in the evenings, so cruise control comes in handy.

• Ok, now I have everything mounted and routed. Did a first attempt to use it but it didn't work. What's the first to do after having everything in place? Did leave the white two pin connector which I assume is for the clutch switch. I'm in need of some feedback and suggestions.

Best regards,

/Thomas

• If you have a slushbox you probably need to bridge the pins on the clutch switch as they are usually closed when the clutch isn't being pressed. I don't have cruise on my 8 but that's how it works on my other car which does have cruise (and is also a manual).

• If the control unit is connected to the vehicle CAN bus, then you may need to have your system recoded (to have the appropriate address on the bus and be recognised by the other systems) at a dealer or with the correct diagnostic equipment. (I imagine that the speed data is obtained from the CAN bus, but I have not looked at one in detail so don't know for sure.)

• No bus connections are apparent.

1 switch thru the autobox selector switch whish is an open circiut for the manual.

A power circuit thru the brake lite switch and another thru the clutch switch. The clutch switch is a jumper with an autobox.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Where does it get the speed signal? I remember looking into this a while ago and there was a loom connection somewhere near the steering wheel area beneath the dash.

• The speed signal from the body electronics module is present in the main cruise controller connection.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Try stuffing a wire jumper between them first to see if it works first. I really try to not cut wires until it is the only way to continue. Especially on the 8.

The connection is the one with two variants on the left side under the A feed line.

EGS is the automatic transmission controller.

• Stuffed a wire but didn't work this time either. Bought second hand stuff so maybe one or hopefully not all of the components are faulty. Which component is most likely to fail? Where and how to continue trouble shooting?

• I think this might be because of a faulty actuator. I'll borrow another one and try. I'll keep my white connector stuffed with a wire jumper while doing this. Although, I'd be very interested in a pic showing how the bridging is done by the factory. Anyone please?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!