"Strong-Strut"

• Hello, everyone,

I was considering getting one of these strut devices (which seem to be well recommended) for the front suspension turrets.

see link:

http://www.strong-strut.com/eight_series.html

However, they are only made to order in batches of about 10-15 and the company tells me that they have just completed and delivered one batch and so would need to build up more requests for the next. (The UK is their second largest market.)

Anyone interested?

Is is a good product?

• Yes, these are SUPERB struts for our cars... it took me forever to find someone who knew hte company which is located in AZ,USA. I was able to score one for $420 and it was sent out immeditaley. I don't know why they would need to fill an order when sendig overseas, but I would simply find anyone you knew that needs one and has a BM and get them on board....it will do wonders!!!

• My 840 is the Silver one in their ad and Wuffers is the red 850.

They are not a large company and can't afford to have a large amount of slow moving stock laying around. So what they do is solicit a "Group buy" and when they reach a producible quantity of firm orders they commission the part to be made.

The same with the E31 lifting adapters that they sell.

I bought from the first run of E31 braces that they produced and was quite pleased with the service and quality.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Terry,

Thank you for the information. Do you think it improves the handling in day-to-day use of the car?

I would suggest that if anyone is interested, they should send an email to that company to register their interest (as I have done). They will then be contacted to confirm their order when there are enough names on the list for the next batch to be made.

email your ineterst to: (Strong-Strut) Paul Ebeyer [azz3man@cox.net]

• Zitat von arnie

Do you think it improves the handling in day-to-day use of the car?

I don't think that I could flog it hard enough in town to find out and I don't get into the twisty turnies often enough to remember the difference.

I bought my as Eye Candy. If it helps in the turns then that is a plus. The Kbars made the biggest difference with nearly Zero body roll. Too bad that you can't get them anymore.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Arnie did you get one! I have just had an email back from Paul at the strong strut people who tells me they are putting together a new batch. As I will be in the states I thought about getting one.Who else has ordered one?

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• As stated, the brace is more for visual effect rather than function. For function you should fit the lower floor and chassis brace from the CSi and to improve handling noticeably, then camber plates are a must.
    Correctly setting the roll bar preload will also help.

8Tech.

• Yes, I am considering getting one, as I just heard that the company is now about to produce a new batch and is awaiting confirmation of orders. However, after reading Terry's comments, I wonder whether it is really would make much difference to the car and so whether it is worth it?? (USD $486 shipped to UK + VAT duty etc...)

• Lloyd,

Ive also got a strong strut fitted but it is only really fitted for aesthetic reasons 8) as they don't do a lot for the later sport models.

But if I was you I would spend my money on exterior styling first like you said the CSI lower spoiler and don't forget the sport mirrors they make the 8 look very sexy :D

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• 8 Tech, what do the camber plates do? and where do they fit?

The camber plates fit to the top of the front strut mounts and increase the front camber by approximately 1 degree. Yes, they do the same as the K-Macs but they are fixed for the ideal road settings. Unless you track the car and change front geometry for each circuit to optimise, the adjustability is neither desireable or required, let alone the excess cost.
    This camber increase sharpens the steering noticeably and neutralises the cars tendency to understeer,(plough straight on in a corner) when driving on the limit.
    At the tyre, the footprint is flatter on the road during cornering rather than the outer edge of the tyre trying to tuck under itself. The setting is also optimised to cause no noticeable increase in front tyre wear.
    Steering and handling improvements are immediately noticeable and they can be fitted by any decent home mechanic with standard tools. You will need to have the front tracking reset immediately though after fitting but most tyre fitting centres and all garages can do this anyway.

8Tech.

• Wayne I aready have the CSI mirror (see my ID picture). I was also thinking if I could get hold of the dimensions of the strut I could get one made at work (perks of running a engineering department). I am swaying towards the front spolier. Silly question, but does anyone have one going begging :wink:

:driving2:Its been a year since I sold her and I still miss her.......

Lloyd

• Well, I placed an order (paid) for a Strong-Stut yesterday. With the exchange-rate at 2:1, I thinks it's a good deal. (GBP 250 delivered). ...OK, tax and VAT to add and customs clearance charges etc...might come to GBP 300 +

• they are getting ready to order from the machine shop, I would recommend that you call asap. the owner will advise as to progress, should be about 4 weeks to produce and ship. good luck.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!