Final drive gearing

• Alan,
    No problem.
    We just went to PM for a while as Rcrad had been doing some fine detail investigations and looking at other options.

He has now posted his findings above - and thats pretty much where we are ..... Thanks again Randy

Me - looks like I'm back to looking for a secondhand LSD again in UK.
    (will probably cap the cooling system)
    So far have found a couple of E34 M5 3.91 LSDs but the prices were pretty steep and gear ratio not ideal.

• Update Part Deux:

OK, I now know definitively what I can get and for how much.

New BMW Motorsport 3.45 210mm ring (crown) and pinion set $535 US

Used 210mm 3.15 LS Differentials $550 US

The prices reflect shipping charges to me of $40 and $100 respectively.
    The breaker for the differentials will sell to me at $450 all day. The supplier for the gears has 5 sets left after the one I bought and would sell at $495ea. if I get 3 sets. Their normal price is $750 but its old inventory and they're willing to deal.

I will be handing my differential and gears to Korman BMW for a refresh of the seals etc. and inspection. When it's all said and done I expect to have a freshly rebuilt LSD with 3.45 gearing and standard 25% lock ready to bolt into my 840ci for under $1500 US and $200 of that is in shipping all over the place.

With the exchange rate in your favor and the availability of these particular parts here I thought it might be of interest, and I would help arrange a similar setup at my costs if any wanted to follow the path I'm taking. I'm extending this info to all here because we're a global community and I have a sincere interest in keeping these great cars on the road. This is not to be construed as a solicitation of any sort and I have no affiliation with any of the parties I'm dealing with. cheers

8)

• Not been on this subject for a while (other priorities) but......
    After a lot of searching, research, false leads (M5 diffs that are not) and missed purchases, I've just got myself a used 3.45 LSD ! :D

Yes, I did say 3.45, and sourced in UK.

The clue came from Stuart8er earlier in this thread when he said he found a 3.63 LSD from a E34 535 Sport.
    Checked the details on Bmwfans and the 210 LSD was an option on the UK RHD 535 manual Sport.
    Started looking for a 3.63 from a Sport, missed one on Ebay, almost bought one in Ireland but had one output flange missing and seals didn't look good.
    Then an '89 Sport popped up on Pistonheads which the owner later decided to break (with a bit of pushing from me :).
    Double-checked the details for that year and surprise - came up as a 3.45, 210 casing.
    Did some further checking and found that the early UK RHD 535 manual Sports were 3.45 up to around Aug '89 then changed to 3.63 for remainder of production.

These 535 Sport LSDs are a hidden gem and generally not as pricey as the M5 dffs - if you can find one.

So checked this one on offer, out of car with 100k miles on it, FBMWSH and most of its life with an elderly gent, oil still a nice colour and hardly any lash in the gears.
    Definately the right casing, even weighed it and its the correct 46kg as per the CSi. Checked the ratio - 3.45.
    So bought it for the princely sum of £150 ! (he only wanted £390 for the whole car !).

3.45 is the ratio recommended for the CSi by our American cousins.
    Still produces a theoretical top speed over 155mph (161). 80mph at just under 3000rpm. 1st is still useable and max of 56mph in 2nd gear. 100mph will now be well into 4th (rather than just in 4th with the standard gearing).

Before fitting will be looking into possibility of getting the casing tapped to take the oil lines to the diff cooler. If not possible, will run the diff without cooler. Just remove it and keep it for possible re-fit later.

Will be fitting it probably some time in Sept, after I've firstly had time to run in and test the improvement in times from my newly fitted (thanks again Gerry) Phoenix Motorsport lightened flywheel, Stage 2 clutch and UUC short shifter.
    Another post on that later .....

NB be careful of so-called E34 M5 diffs that sellers are not sure of the gear ratio or where the diff came from. I looked closely at 3. First one turned out to be from an E36 M3 (wrong mountings ), 2nd one turned out to be from a 535 Sport and was a 3.63 (not avalable in UK M5) and 3rd one turned out to be from an early 635CSi and was a 3.07 (I think) and although a 210 "big case" the front mounting bolt positions are wrong for the 8.
    All the above applies to UK RHD cars only, other places may be different.
    EG Aussie LSDs for the same year model can be a 188 diff with different gearing.

• Further to the above:-
    Have now had a chance to have a good look round my "new" 3.45 diff and compare to the original CSi diff in terms of whether it can be adapted to take the oil lines to the diff cooler.
    Simple answer is - it can't (well not easily anyway)...

Right side (looking forward) of E34 casing - no problem. To fit the oil line on that side in exactly the same position as the CSi diff would just entail extending the existing tapping for the rearmost bolt fitting for the side mounting plate.

Problem is the left side - here the 2 diff casings differ completely. On the Csi diff there is a protruding moulding to the casing which is tapped for the oil line. On the E34 diff - nothing ! In addition the casing at the same point is curved with a flange in the way. Also, if one tapped through in this area, I've a feeling the threaded oil-line connector would finish up fouling the crownwheel.

So, no go for me (although I'm sure it would be possible with a bit of adaptation). When I fit the new diff, I will run it without the cooler. Remove it (and the oil lines) and keep it for possible later re-fit.

• I definitely want to get a slipper for mine, it's not easy to get the back end out and keep it sliding without, as the inside wheel just spins up leaving the outside one gripping which pulls the car out of the slide. This is with ASC+T off, I have considered using the "hidden mode" of ASC to act as a poor man's LSD, but I suspect using it in this way extensively will either cook the brakes or cause some other issues with the ASC.

I'm undecided as to which ratio suits my car best (UK 840Ci/6) but I suspect something quite high like the 3.15 would work well, as the ratios are reasonably low to start with unlike the automatics. A 3.91 with my gearbox would be loony, so I definitely wouldn't want to go as low as that. If anyone spots anything that may be suited please let me know.

• Paul
    Nearest thing to a 3.15 LSD I've seen recently was advertised as E34 M5 diff out of a '95 model. As a '95 model, if its a 3.8 6speed (rather than the earlier 5 speed) it should be a 3.23.
    Please note my earlier comments about "M5" diffs !

It was a few weeks back but if he's still got it, might be worth a look. No price as was a general ad for breaking the whole car (good sign as at least the owner knows the background details)
    It was in Herts and the phone no was 07878446728.

E34 3.23 diffs are pretty rare as only put in the E34 M5 for about 2 years (94-5) and only on the 3.8 6 speed manual. Believe there were only about 300 UK RHD.

Think you'll have trouble finding a 3.15 LSD in UK (I never found one) so if the 3.23 doesn't work out, next best option as you basically have the same gearbox ratios as me, is the 3.45 or 3.63 out of the E34 manual 535 Sport.

• Thanks for that Martin. I'm wary of going as high as 3.45 or above, I feel that it's geared quite well at the moment, maybe very slightly too high, but the manuals seem to be much better than the autos which are far too high IMO (probably for fuel economy reasons, to offset the lower efficiency). So a 3.23 would be fine, but as you say these are rare and hence probably way overpriced.

Apparently the early E32 750i had a 3.15 diff, some of which were LSD. How many (if any) came to the UK with an LSD is another matter.

• My car is a '98 840 Ci Sport (Auto). Last year I had Kevin Bird suppy and fit a Quaif LSD. He has just fitted a 3.45 : 1 final drive and the result is excellent. The car is showing 90 mph at 3,000 rpm.

• How much did the quaife cost? I'm suspecting big £££! My car is over 3000 RPM at 90 MPH in 6th with standard gearing, so on a 3.45 I reckon I'd be closer to 4000 RPM! The manual is geared more for performance out of the factory, hence why I'd rather not go for such a low ratio as I think it'd be diminishing returns.

• Standard gearing for M62 840Ci/A (again of courtesy of e31.de):

Note the *much* higher gearing, with the autos being geared more for economy and refinement. Hence why it's highly beneficial to switch to a lower ratio diff on an auto, bringing the gearing more in line with the manual.

• Paul,
    What is the diff ratio on yours (standard)?
    I can't find any info on it but if you compare your rpms at 90 against a CSi (remember your gearbox ratios are virtually the same as mine) rpms at 90, you will see that yours are higher (with 2.93 diff gearing, mine is virtually dead on 3000rpm at 90).
    To me, that means that your diff is higher (numerically) than a 2.93 already.

You may already have something like a 3.15 in there already ??

The benefits of the higher (numerically) diff ratios are the improved acceleration off the line and beyond.

If you're not interested in that and would prefer the ecomomy and cruising rpms - fair enough ..... different strokes .. :)

• Paul, I like how that graph shows a top speed in excess of 200mph @ 6200rpm :hahaha:with standard diff. Yeah, I know wind and rolling resistance gets in the way and I think IIRC that the unrestricted top speed is more like 165mph or thereabouts in reality.

My ahem, official, top speed now @ 6200rpm, is 145mph (on speedo, so more like 138mph in reality) with the loony M5 3.91 LSD ! Only did it once, and my driving habits don't lend themselves to straight line speeding.

Interesting seeing those graphs though. I do like my stats :roll:

• Martin, I believe my stock diff is a 3.08:1. I appreciate that a lower ratio (numerically higher) will improve acceleration to some extent, but I don't imagine it would offer a huge improvement due to the extra gearchanges required to reach a certain speed.

I think the standard gearing on the 840Ci/6 works quite well, as you're in the engine's power band by around 20 MPH in 1st gear, and after that you're always in the power band assuming you change up at the correct time. So I don't think the acceleration improvement would be massive -- at least in theory.

The sole reason I'd like a diff swap is to get an LSD. I wouldn't mind a 3.15 or 3.23 ratio, but much beyond that I'd need to be persuaded. Mainly because I'd like to retain some "sensible" cruising ability for the odd time I find myself doing a long motorway run, which is the only time I use 6th gear extensively.

Tony, the graphs do indeed provide a very nice insight into the choice of gear ratios made by BMW. It is clear that the autos were designed for cruising and/or economy, as even with one less ratio (or two in the case of the early 850 auto) compared to the manual, they are far higher geared overall and with a wider spread between ratios.

You correctly state that top gear in the auto would theoretically allow a speed of over 200 MPH -- clearly impossible with the power available! The 840Ci/6 theoretical top speed is around 175 MPH, which I think probably isn't far off what the car can actually do. Similarly the 850CSi tops out around 180 MPH (slightly higher geared than the 840, but with a lower rev limit) which it will be able to achieve quite easily due to it having 380 BHP, with the speed limiter removed of course.

These graphs highlight why a diff swap is such an important upgrade for auto cars (assuming you'd rather have performance than refinement and fuel economy), whereas for the manuals it's much less of a benefit -- they are already much more performance oriented from the factory. Of course ratios are one thing, but an LSD is one upgrade every E31 should have, the CSi getting one as standard.

• Paul,
    I've also been considering how much of the gain in acceleration from the diff change would (maybe) be lost from the additional gearchange(s) . ..
    It was one of the reasons I chose the 3.45 (and possibly why the Americans like it).
    1/4 mile times and gears/revs for that -. With my standard gearing you are just changing into 4th before crossing the line pulling 95-100mph.
    With the 3.45 ratio, no extra gearchanges (still in 4th crossing the line and will go as far as 110mph at 6000rpm).

Only way to know for sure about the benefits (or otherwise) is to test it and compare to standard.

I've got my figures for 1/4 mile from last year (everything standard) and will soon be having another go with the lightened flywheel and short-shifter mods. I've also recently fitted a G-Tech Pro RR performance meter and will be recording runs on that also so can have the additional info (0-60, rpms in gears etc)
    After that, will fit the 3.45 diff and repeat the process.

With the 3.45, I may also try an additional gearchange (4th - 5th ) but earlier at about 5500rpm which some say gains additional torque being in 5th, and see if any benefits from that.

Will post the results later (and maybe some more vids on Youtube :))

• OK here's the dillemma... I've managed to locate a 3.15 LSD from a 1990 750i, which should bolt straight up after changing the rear cover, correct? However this diff is at the opposite end of the country to me, the price is reasonable so I'm happy to have it shipped, but there's always the risk it's got issues that I won't discover until it arrives on my doorstep.

Do you think this is a good idea to buy a diff unseen from an 18 year old car? I've asked the seller a few questions about whether it's all present and intact, and if it ran with no noises etc. But ultimately I'm depending on his knowledge and honesty.

Ideally I'd like to find one locally, but they're rare as hens teeth up this neck of the planet!

• Paul,
    One thing that might give you a bit more confidence is that (according to bmwfans parts listing) if its from a UK RHD 1990 750i then it should have spent its life mated to an auto box - less chance of the diff being over-strained ??
    And in a 7 series ??
    I'd give it a chance if its a reasonable price - you might be waiting a long time for another one ....

• Good point Martin, most auto drivers are grandads, and those who aren't tend to drive like they are anyway :laugh:

Definitely sounds like it's worth a shot, I'm waiting on the seller to get back to me with a price for shipping. In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions of a courier that is likely to deliver such a heavy item for a reasonable price?

Cheers guys :cool:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!