OUCH! Another expensive avoidable repair. *NOW WITH PICS*

• Zitat von ziggystardust

guys i dont have any problem but thought to upgrade anyhow since i got eibach all aroung and bilstein at the back, do i need to reinforce the whole four suspensions?. :roll:

Hi Ziggy,

The problem is only with the rears, but it is a seriously expensive problem if it fails. The only parts available for the front are the camberplates that adjust the front camber to eliminate the understeer present on the E31, and at the same time, reinforce the underside of the upper front strut mount, and the front strut brace which is purely a cosmetic enhancement.

I feel the rears are essential, the camberplates very desireable if you drive the car anywhere near its full potential to significantly improve the steering and handling, and the strut brace looks great if that "rings your bell!"

It's extra weight and forms no function but it looks cool, impresses the onlooker and what the hell, who cares, it's your car.

8Tech.

• thanks 8 tech i have already ordered both from pheonix uk, 30 pounds for the rears 75 for the fronts, i must recommend already the fast response, the patience for the ignorents like myself and the assistance,

is it really a diy job? i am fowarding you guys the instructions recieved
    by gerry @ pheonix motors..........

8 tech it's just good to have a special car and know that whatever happens guys like you will be here to help.......... :wink:

• Martin,

The camberplates are just as applicable to the CSi as the "lesser" models as the geometry is unchanged for the CSi by the factory, just spring and damper rates.

If you drive the CSi anywhere near as hard as it was designed to, you will still suffer the same chronic understeer without the camber adjustment plates. Even if you never drive it hard, they will improve steering feel and response and if you ever get caught out on unknown roads, they could mean the difference between a wall/hedge/field and a quick adrenaline rush followed by some heavy breathing.

The latter is MUCH cheaper!

8Tech.

• 8Tech,
    Thanks for the info. Another one for the list then !

Thats the problem - I do drive mine hard (for public roads anyway - officer, case pending!).
    Around Norfolk already had some scary moments on narrow twisty roads with blind bends.

I'm sure I've seen this covered elsewhere and should be in another thread really but ...
    Addition of the camber plates to the CSi - could I also expect a slightly more aggressive front stance? Slightly lower ? By how much ?

Martin

• Hey Gerry

As a proud owner of one the "lesser" models :lol::lol: , you know minus 4 cylinders :lol::lol: wish to point out that since fitting the camber plates my" lesser" car will now piss all over a Csi round the corners as well as on the straight :lol::lol:

Sorry couldn't resist it :)but just speaking up for the V8 boys, not to mention those few very special 8's who have been BLOWN :wink::D

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Zitat von stevep840

Hey Gerry

As a proud owner of one the "lesser" models :lol::lol: , you know minus 4 cylinders :lol::lol: wish to point out that since fitting the camber plates my" lesser" car will now piss all over a Csi round the corners as well as on the straight :lol::lol:

Sorry couldn't resist it :)but just speaking up for the V8 boys, not to mention those few very special 8's who have been BLOWN :wink::D

The 'lesser model' also have a better balance in the first place, due to the much lighter V8.
    The 850's 52/48 front/rear weight ratio means that this car is prone to under steer, and "bad" cornering ability.
    I believe the 840 has closer to a 50/50 weight ratio in the beginning, due to its light weight engine.

I have wondered how I could shed some weight of my 850, specially in the front, but there is not much to do about that.
    Bonnet and wings in CF would help, but far from enough to rectify the weight balance.
    I've decided to go for a suspension upgrade in the beginning, and if need be, add the camber plates.
    however I use my 8 for cruising, not track driving, for that I have the E46 325ci. So do I really need a high performance 850? I think not..... but you never know....

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Noggie,
    Some good points about the weight distribution of the 12 vs the 8 ....

Steve,
    On the straights......Maybe Gerry will reply when he has his blown 12 running ? :lol:

• Zitat von martinw

Noggie,
    Some good points about the weight distribution of the 12 vs the 8 ....

Steve,
    On the straights......Maybe Gerry will reply when he has his blown 12 running ? :lol:

Fair point Martin :? Maybe I should have included "standard" in the sentance :?::D Anyhow it was only in defence of our "lesser "models.

• I don't look at the 840 as inferior in any way.
    I bought the 850 for the following reasons:
    -I did not know better :P
    -not many 840 in my country
    -850 is the biggest engine.
    -V12... i mean, just to say my car has a V12, how many V12 cars are there out there?? in a resonably price range?
    -didn't buy a race car

The 840 has some very good features.
    -better weight balance
    -overall lower weight
    -newer engine design
    -better handling due to above mentioned weight issues
    -The slightly less powered V8 is close to the V12 in straight line performance due to the weight.

I stumbeled across my car by accident, it was cheap and I had the money.
    wanted an 8 for years so.......done deal.
    a semingly endless amount of money has been, and will be put into this car.
    I do not intend to get rid of this car ever, so I really don't care about the money spent.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Zitat von stevep840

Hey Gerry

WHOOAH BOYS!!

"Lesser" models are anything that is not a CSI! Who mentioned 8 cylinders? My response was to a question relating to CSI v Other models suspension set-up as stock. As I was responding to a genuine enquiry from a CSi owner possibly believing his CSi had different geometry to all other derivatives of the car, and as the csi, as stock, was the top of the range, all other stock derivatives must be "lesser".

So Noggie, if you are unconcerned about performance, why were you looking at a supercharger kit? How much are you prepared to spend on Carbon Fibre when a set of camberplates fix the problem? The V8's suffer from understeer as much as the V12's so the fix is applicable to them all.

8Tech.

• Martin /Gerry

My reply was very tounge in cheek, hence the number of smilies&laughter emotions,
    but as allways on forums things can get taken in the wrong context also I never miss an opertunity to remind you V12 boys how fast my humble V8 really is :D:lol:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!