Trapped liquid in dashboard????

• I've recently started to notice a very strange noise in my car as I take sharp corners... :?:

It sounds as if there's some trapped liquid in the dash (or behind it) thats moving around whenever I corner! :?

At first I thought it was rain sliding off the bonnet but it happens when the car is dry and seems to be eminate from the cabin. :shock:

The sound appears to be more prominent on the passenger side dash area and now it's really annoying!! :x

Any guesses or ideas as to what it could be? :idea:

• I'm not sure if it's related but the aircon does not work either! (another on my to do list!)

I've removed the cabin filters and tried to have a look around there but all seems dry. Had to order some new filters though as they were clogged up with dirt!

Everyweek there seems to be something to do on my 840!

So far I've had the following done:-

Slight Missfire - New plugs and rocker cover gaskets

Steering judder when braking and vibration when accelerating - replaced thrust arm bushes (following 8tech's pre-load procedure) and both rear trailing arm bushes.

Cracked rear spring - instead of buying one spring got a full set of Eibach pro springs installed. Car sits alot better now :D

Interior lights inoperative - Thanks to the forum and search button this was my cheapest fix! £6 relay off ebay! (It was the top green one in the boot).

Gotta love the 8 though! It keeps getting some admiring looks 8)

• Zitat von busta200

I had the dampers/struts checked on monday when the Eibachs were installed. They seem ok.

...does the heating/aircon system have liquid in it?

It certainly does :) The heating system will be connected to the engine colling system - have you already checked the coolant level?

• yes double checked it after first post. The top of the red float sits in line with the rim of the cooland tank.

...nothing seems to be leaking in the engine bay and the inside of the car is also dry.

This might be coincedental but I only seem to get hot air out my air vents after the car has gone round a few sharp coners and I hear the liquid moving around the cabin a few times. :o

I noticed this the other day after driving on motorway for 15 mins and having no hot air coming out the vents. When exiting the motorway and taking a right I heard the liquid moving. I then took a sharp left (again heard the liquid but not as much) and all of a sudden had Hot air blasting through the cabin! :shock:

• The M60/62 engine set-up is notoriously very difficult to bleed properly and it's possible to have an airlock in the heater matrix.

See other posts about how to bleed.

You need to make sure your heater valve is open (heater on high-temp setting) during re-fill of the radiator and some people even have the car on an incline to help.

You should also check that your heater circulation valve is not stuck or broken.

• Gurgling sound?

Is it a gurgling sound? Because that's what I have... My aircon is not working any more and neither is the auxillary fan. But I think I've had the gurgling sound all the time and back then the AC worked.

I think I've read something about the heater solenoids that was linked to heater always on and a gurgling sound.

[edit:] found the link! go here: http://www.e31faq.com/Default.aspx?catId=93 click on "64 - Climate (3)" and then on "Heater is on all the time! What's wrong?"

I'll let you know if I have a problem with the solenoids and if it stops my gurgling... =)

/Hannes
    ps. remeber the meet in Sweden 26-30 June!

• gurgling sound or more like mouth wash noise. I had the same problem, turned out to be trapped air in the coolant system. Bleed/refill your cooling system that should take care of it

• Thanks guys.

Viperrt10 - Just curious as to what mouthwash noise sounds like? because it could also be, as you say, an airlock. But I think after reading the link and symptons described by Hannesl I think I might have a prob with the solenoids/heating system.

For the moment the car drives ok (I've already spent a bucketload on it!), so unless its an easy fix I'm gonna leave it for the time being!

• trapped liquid in dashboard????

I have managed to get air blocks out of some difficult to bleed V8s, like the triumphs, by the following way:

starting with a cold engine, obviously;
    all heater settings and fans on hot and full blast (ie fans and vents on maximum hot alike;
    with open reservoir cap/top radiator bleed valve/cap OPEN;
    have warm/hot anti-freeze mixture ready to top-up;
    wait for bubbles to appear/sometimes overflow - topping-up as you go along if needed- until it appears as bubble-free.

Now...I think... the way this works is that as the water system cools the oil system of a running engine and acquires higher temperatures, the thermostat valves will open up allowing water from the engine to drain into the radiator for effective cooling and re-entry into the engine waterways. whilst the heater valves are open, the hot water will also flush the cabin heater radiator and as fans keeping the radiators cooled the hot water will tend to flush through the system and carrying trapped bubles with its turbulence.

Now...since the reservoir/radiator bleed valve/cap is left open the water system is effectively disallowed from pressurising, hence allowing the trapped air bubbles to be dislodged, carried away and discharged out of the open bleed valve/reservoir.

This is all done at idle engine speeds or slightly above, if you were to accelerate during this time you would get an outburst of water gushing into the reservoir or bleed valve.

This has cured many air blocks in the notorious for over-heating triumph Stag engines for me.

I have not had this sort of problem with my 8 and have not tried this on it. So please wait for some comfirmation from other members who may have tried this on the 8series

Of course the alternative would be pressurised bleeding of the cooling system.
    cheers
    mat

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!