Brake lining warning on OBC

• My brake lining warning came on this morning :(

The only thing that has me confused is that my pads front and rear are very new...

Could my rotors be the problem ??? I did not replace them at the time..

Another question, what do I want for replacement ???

1) cross-drilled
    2) slotted
    3) cross-drilled & slotted
    4) OEM

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank-you in advance and Happy Motoring

DMP

• Its probably just a brake pad wear indicator fault. Did you replace the wires with the pads and did you clip them in properly so they hav'nt rubbed through on a tyre or shaft?

Discs would need to be really bad to wear pads out that fast but if you replace, I recommend drilled.

• The pads are still in great shape..

The rotors however look like they are a little "thin"

The area around the diameter (the rusted area that is a non-contact surface) is slightly higher than the "contact surface".. about the thickness of a paper match ( you know the type you get at a restaurant)

The sensors were "supposedly" replaced at time of pad installation, but that sounds like a likely problem, any suggestions on what to look for ???

Thank-you in advance & Happy motoring

DMP

• It won't be the discs, the sensor is faulty. This happened to me, i shorted the sensor wires which turns the warning off, change the sensor next time you change your pads. Literally chop the two wires that run to the sensor and join them together. Works a treat!

• I have the Brake Sensor Warning on the MID BUT I have new pads, new Discs and new sensors!! Should the warning message go after everything is OK or does it require deletion via the Diagnostics plug? Anyon eknow how to get rid of this message without "cutting wires"??

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• anguswolfendale: Make sure the brake pad sensor connectors are properly seated, the contacts not corroded and no dirt came in while changing. If you have multimeter, measure the resistance of both sensors. They should show a short circuit.

• Personally I'd change those rotors doc, with that much wear showing.

• iF YOUR DISCS ARE ok AND THE PADS ARE RELATIVELY NEW, JUST REPLACE THE SENSOR WIRES WITH NEW oem ONES. I have seen a fair few cheaper wires with faults from new recently so now only use OEM wires.

However worn the discs are, they alone would not bring the light on unless they were so worn, the edges of the disc are so proud of the braking surface, they are cutting through the sensor wire very early.

Change the wires!

And I'm not retyping the bit with the caps lock on again. :hmmmm:

8Tech.

• Hi Gerry,
    It has new OEM sensors fitted, virtually new OEM discs and pads yet still the warning is showing. Does disconnecting the battery reset the error codes?

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• The message on the MID disappears as soon as the EKM module detects a short circuit to ground at pin 20 of connector X40 - or in other words, when both brake pad sensors (which are in series) conduct. The system is extremely simple, so the problem can only be a faulty sensor, bad contact in the connectors or a broken wire. So once again, measure the resistance of the sensors and check the connectors.

• I traced the problem to a detriorated wire that runs between the connector at the wheel (into which the sensor plugs) and a "junction box" attached to the rear suspension frame. I just spliced a new piece of wire in and all OK!

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!