such a great forum

• I was at my garage tinkering with my car today and found the sunroof completely stuck on the open tilt position, which, given the 'summer' we're having in the UK was a potential nightmare. I took the sunroof panel out and confirmed the motor worked, but nothing would shift. I began to imagine big bills that would involve taking the rooflining out etc, and -whilst I wished I had an iPhone so that I could check this forum straight away- I went home and accessed this site through more conventional routes. The iPhone will need to wait until my current contract expires, but, I had soon read about the ten-second-sunroof-reset. So back I went back to the car, did as instructed and all was well again. Before the internet, and before this forum, I would have taken the car to a professional, and probably spent a fortune trying to 'fix' this. This site has become integral to what has been the most rewarding ownership of any car I have ever had. I absolutely adore my 8-er, and I feel great about running it as a daily driver (especially since converting it to LPG). This site is fast becoming my favourite bookmark, and this is a thank you to all of you who are making it the great place that it is.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Very well said, I wouldn't like to tot up how much this site has saved me in simple fixes, just like the one you mention.

If you fancy it there is a meet at Tatten Park on the 7th September, currently Tony & myself are attending, there is thread open with the details.

Wayne.

On my 3rd 8 but my first V12 :cool:

• Zitat von wayneblackwell1000;50840

Very well said, I wouldn't like to tot up how much this site has saved me in simple fixes, just like the one you mention.

I agree, being a bit out of the mainstream I have found the site very helpful, especially when it comes to thoughts of modifications..... As a result of what I have read on these pages I am about to change the diff to a 3.64 with LSD, and while fitting a new set of Bilstien's also fit the rear reinforcing plates and front camber plates, all as a result of the experiences of others I would not have be aware of without this site.

Well done all the contributors.

Alan

It is easier to get foregivness than permission!

• Zitat von wayneblackwell1000;50840

If you fancy it there is a meet at Tatten Park on the 7th September, currently Tony & myself are attending, there is thread open with the details.

Thanks Wayne; I just realised that weekend is the only week I will be on holiday this year so I'll have to pass. I look forward to meeting you all another time though.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Zitat von Wildatheart;50828

I absolutely adore my 8-er, and I feel great about running it as a daily driver (especially since converting it to LPG).

I have been looking at various LPG systems for a while now with a view to getting one installed when the funds are available.
    I would be very grateful if you could provide some information about your LPG system;

What did it cost?
    What type system is it?
    How long did it take to install?
    Where is the tank located and what capacity?
    Where is the filler located?
    Is the performance as good using LPG?
    Have you noticed any adverse affects using LPG?

Many thanks.

;) Make the most and enjoy it all while you can..

Rob

1998 840Ci Red
    2001 740iL Gold
    Manchester, UK

• I too did quite a lot of research and in the end found an engineer on the North Coast of Scotland who is extremely knowledgeable and, most importantly, an utter perfectionist. Probably not much good if you're not in Scotland, sorry... http://www.roverv8engines.co.uk/

-What did it cost?
    £ 1800.00 (he is not VAT registered).
    -What type system is it?
    OMVL Dream
    -How long did it take to install?
    He's an airforce engineer by day, and so took 2 weeks/evenings
    Where is the tank located and what capacity?
    -It's in the spare wheel well, I think it's 60 ltrs; it takes around 53 when filling up.
    -Where is the filler located?
    This was important to me; it is almost invisibly placed in the black section of the rear lower valence of the sport/csi kit. It has a black cover, and requires a screw in extension to clear the valance when filling up.
    -Is the performance as good using LPG?
    I have not noticed any performance loss once on the move (see below).
    -Have you noticed any adverse affects using LPG?
    The only differences I have noticed is that when cold, the engine idles very slightly lumpier, *but* when warm, the engine actually idles more smoothly than it ever did on petrol. On gas, if you put your foot down to the floor very hard from standstill, there is a brief moment's hesitation before the engine picks up. I am told this is unavoidable as the gas can't be delivered with the same speed/power per cubic inch as petrol. This could be seen as a performance loss I suppose, but nailing your foot to the floor is not something I like to subject my drivetrain to anyway. And again, it is less apparent still when the engine is warm.

I consider myself a perfectionist too, and would have been very annoyed if the car's use and/or performance had been compromised; but I am very happy with the conversion.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• BUT.... 1800 pounds even at todays silly prices will buy you around 350 gallons of fuel, which under motorway driving will get you upto 8500 miles, maybe more @ 75mph.

LPG is roughly half the price, so you would need to drive 17000 miles before you break even on the project, and that assumes there are NO technical glitches of the LPG install, requiring costly maintenance.

I've driven about that in three years ownership.

For me at least it doesnt make economic sense to convert, unless you intend to drive 25000 miles a year for the next few years. That coupled with adding further complexity to an already (at times) troublesome and ageing motor car scares me somewhat.

LPG from factory YES
    LPG conversion on a e31.... ?? Discuss :harhar:

• The last time I was up at JAYMIC in Cromer they had an E9 3.0 csl that they had converted to LPG for a South American owner that used to come over and use it to tour in Europe. I believe they have significant experience with LPG and of course BMW's. I suggest you talk to them.

My own experience here with LPG was pretty good running it in a Toyota mini coach. The drawbacks? The size of the tank if you don't want to remove the petrol option, the more limited availablility and most importantly the reduced range between fills.

You can buy a lot of petrol for 1,800 and personally I would not do an 8.

It is easier to get foregivness than permission!

• To me the economics look like this...

1800 / 116.9p (super unleaded) = 1539 litres

1539 / 4.546 = 338.5 gallons

My average consumption: 21mpg

338.5* 21 =7108.5 miles

Last year I drove over 12000 miles in my 8, so at my current rate I will have made the investment back in just over a year, less if petrol prices continue to rise.

It got too depressing spending close to a hundred quid every time I fill up; and there is a joy attached to spending less at the pumps, even if in real terms it will take me a year or so to make real savings. Delusional, in the short term, I know.

I believe the engine burns gas at least as cleanly as it does petrol, and its super smoothness when running on gas makes me no less convinced (it's a little quieter, too). The aforementioned engineer has never had anyone come back to him with a faulty system; it requires a filter change every 12000 miles, that's it.

And for those less familiar with LPG systems, it might be of interest to know that the engine always starts up on petrol, and when it has reached the appropriate temperature and various, the LPG kicks in automatically. And of course you can switch between petrol and gas whenever you want, even mid-acceleration (though there's unlikely to be a reason to do so). Nevertheless, whilst driving, the switch between gas & petrol is *completely* unnoticeable; at idle, the engine smooths out somewhat on gas, as mentioned. Works for me!

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Thanks for the info, a few more questions if you dont mind;

Do you have a guage for the LPG?
    How many miles on a full tank of LPG?
    What happens when the LPG is empty?
    Where is the changeover switch located?
    Do you get cheaper road tax?

I had a brief experience with LPG about 3 years ago - I had an E32 7er with LPG for about 6 months until the engine threw a wobbler on the motorway about 100 miles from home. Power suddenly disappeared and running very lumpy, managed to limp back at 40mph top speed. The garage found 3 rocker arms had actually broken and said it was likely something to do to the LPG as they had never come across such a problem before. Due to the overall value of the car I ended up getting rid as it was and replacing it with an E38 7er.

I too, get depressed when filling up at ~£100 a pop. I only do about 8k miles pa but would most likely do a lot more if the cost per mile was cheaper.

However, if Im not using the 8er, Im using the 7er which has the same engine and fuel consumption. I do about 12k miles pa in the 7er so really could do with getting both of them done - 2 x £1800 = ouch !!

I am contemplating sticking it all on a 0% card for a year or two, that way the pain is much less and the overall cost shouldnt be too much difference until its all paid off.

The only thing that bothers me is what the government might do regarding the tax on LPG. A few years ago, diesel was half the price and there was a boom in diesel car manufacturing and sales. A lot of people enjoyed a lower cost of motoring for a brief spell until the government realised how much tax they were losing from petrol sales and hiked up the tax on diesel to compensate.

Whats to stop them doing the same with LPG?

;) Make the most and enjoy it all while you can..

Rob

1998 840Ci Red
    2001 740iL Gold
    Manchester, UK

• -Do you have a guage for the LPG?

Yes, the changeover switch also has 5 leds that indicate tank contents; it's not all that accurate though, so I tend to look at my trip mileometer to know when I should expect to run out.

-How many miles on a full tank of LPG?

About 200.

-What happens when the LPG is empty?

The same changeover switch beeps, and it automatically switches to petrol. Last time this happened I was in the middle of an overtaking manoeuvre, but as I said, you really cannot feel any difference when it switches.

-Where is the changeover switch located?

I have put it on the panel to the left of my gearshift; I'll try post a pic tomorrow or the day after.

-Do you get cheaper road tax?

I don't know; I doubt it. Perhaps someone else can confirm this (I haven't had to renew yet), and also, I am unsure what the London congestion charge situation is now. I seem to recall lpg cars didn't have to pay this at one point.

Whats to stop them doing the same with LPG?[/quote]

Indeed, although the 120.000 lpg users represent only a tiny fraction of motorists, and lpg is a by-product (not a primary product) during oil refinery, as well as environmentally cleaner, so may be harder to justify taxing to the hilt. But, you never know. Historically, it has always been around half the price of petrol, so you would expect it to go up as petrol goes up, but still be significantly cheaper.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• Zitat von rob840;51188

I had a brief experience with LPG about 3 years ago - I had an E32 7er with LPG for about 6 months until the engine threw a wobbler on the motorway about 100 miles from home. Power suddenly disappeared and running very lumpy, managed to limp back at 40mph top speed. The garage found 3 rocker arms had actually broken and said it was likely something to do to the LPG as they had never come across such a problem before. Due to the overall value of the car I ended up getting rid as it was and replacing it with an E38 7er.

This sounds like a typical response from a mechanic who doesn't have a clue why the failure occurred, so the non-standard part gets the blame. You should have asked him in what way the different fuelling system could affect the rocker arms, I'm sure an equally nonsensical answer would have been forthcoming.

The main potential issue I'm aware of due to running on propane are valve seat recession due to higher burn temperatures -- never heard of it happening on a BMW, since the valve seats are hard enough to handle the extra heat for hundreds of thousands of miles. This is a common problem on Zetec engined Fords, and some Japanese cars, and is similar to what happens when you run an engine designed for leaded petrol on unleaded. Most unleaded engines are fine on propane, it's just the few that are barely hard enough for unleaded petrol (i.e. some Ford, Honda, Toyota, ...) that are problematic.

You can also get problems if the system is poorly mapped, allowing it to run lean, in exactly the same way that a poorly mapped petrol car causes problems. This should never happen in practice, and I've never heard of it happening. Certainly you don't get the issue of pre-ignition with a lean propane mixture that you do with petrol (which has killed many Japanese import turbo cars mapped to run on 100+ RON fuel), as the octane of propane is much higher (around 110), so it's really just high combustion temperatures to worry about.

Without knowing anything about the engine, my best guess is the rockers were probably damaged by an oil starvation issue. On the M70 V12, the banjo bolts on the top end oil sprayer bars are known for working loose. On the M60 V8 the oil pump bolts are known for working loose. I expect your mechanic had never heard of these issues either, so it's easier to blame the modifications than actually investigate.

• Great article, thanks. In the latest Evo magazine I read how they are buying an Alpina B10 V8 as a long termer, specifically to run on LPG. Should be interesting.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!