Front CSi/CiSport Spoiler Grille

• Zitat von 8Tech;51852

Here is the original 2005 version with cut-out at top for radar jammer.

Looks good Gerry, - did you ever get any hassle for having the jammer? (you get into very serious trouble for having those in Switzerland and France).

I'm waiting to here from a company I contacted yesterday regarding manufacture and price estimate...watch this space :)

• To be accurate, it is a Laser jammer, not a radar jammer. With me having a radar detector and Laser detector anyway, the big threat is the Laser Gun so this is called a Laser Echo and it fires a huge Laser signal back at anytime it sees a laser signal. This jams the gun for a short while whilst it recharges, by which time, you have been warned and should have slowed down before the gun is ready to refire.:laugh:

• The Quattroporte mesh is nice and sturdy looking. But I think that if you plan on making a custom mesh grill, it should be subtle. That Italian mesh is not so subtle in person. The CSi nose offers smooth aesthetics relative to the rest of E31's body design. As such, I think that a grill that is seamless and black would be best. Before I even knew about Laszlo's grill, I thought about making a fiberglass frame and inserting a mesh grill into it. This might be the best approach. The framed grill could then be flexed into the open space. Fiberglass would be good too, since it can flex with the entire nose assemble.

• I have come across a company called Zunsport (advertise in the BMW Car Club Magazine). I have contacted them about making a grille for the lower air intake of the CSi Front Bumper. Based initially on a photo examination they are quoting around £260 as a one-off but if we could get an order for 25 together, then the price would be circa £95 to £140. Here is a photo from their website of a Bentley full grille set. They are made from 316L Stainless Steel, specially electro polished to maintain life-long performance (looks). They can be offered also in black finish.

Do we have any interest from you guys?

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• I'd be up for it, provided the quality checks out and only if the grille is properly framed (see discussion posts). I also contacted one company but so far they have not responded.

Cheers

Zitat von anguswolfendale;52393

I have come across a company called Zunsport (advertise in the BMW Car Club Magazine). I have contacted them about making a grille for the lower air intake of the CSi Front Bumper. Based initially on a photo examination they are quoting around £260 as a one-off but if we could get an order for 25 together, then the price would be circa £95 to £140. Here is a photo from their website of a Bentley full grille set. They are made from 316L Stainless Steel, specially electro polished to maintain life-long performance (looks). They can be offered also in black finish.

Do we have any interest from you guys?

• Interesting. I might like one provided that it is:

1. Black

2. Has a flexible frame that pops in as opposed to drilled/screwed in.

3. Available/made in USA since shipping from outside the USA would negate any sort of reasonable pricing for me.

• Regarding point2 - would a lfexible frame mean that it could also pop out? Probably when you least need it to such as when you're moving fast? I could imagine that if it parted company with the car at speed it could be quite dangerous. I'd rather have something fixed with screws that can't pop out for safety if for no other reason

Cheers

• The mesh grill I have is flexible and fit by bending it into place. I see no reason as to why a new fabrication can't be built the same way. Of course, this all sounds not good until you see my grill in person. My grill is anchored, too, but it wouldn't need to be if there was a framed grill with tight tolerances pushed into place. The CSi nose is flexible just enough to get something to pop in without having it pop back out. Of course, anchor points that aren't visible (or slightly visible) are welcome in my book. I just like the way the Maserati grills look: no visible anchor points.

I hope this project comes to fruition!

Cheers

• Zitat von Koizumi;52469

The mesh grill I have is flexible and fit by bending it into place. I see no reason as to why a new fabrication can't be built the same way. Of course, this all sounds not good until you see my grill in person. My grill is anchored, too, but it wouldn't need to be if there was a framed grill with tight tolerances pushed into place. The CSi nose is flexible just enough to get something to pop in without having it pop back out. Of course, anchor points that aren't visible (or slightly visible) are welcome in my book. I just like the way the Maserati grills look: no visible anchor points.

I hope this project comes to fruition!

Cheers

Good point, I think I now better understand how your grille is fixed. I too like the way the Maser grille looks and the Bentley further up the thread also looks similar to what I had in mind. Hopefully there will be enough people interested.
    Cheers

PS, Koizumi, you replaced the steering wheel centre badge in your car with a black one - how did you remove the original? are they also simply stuck on? I now have black badges - well I collect them from the post office tomorrow and I want to replace the wheel badge

• Zitat von Argonaut;52481

PS, Koizumi, you replaced the steering wheel centre badge in your car with a black one - how did you remove the original? are they also simply stuck on? I now have black badges - well I collect them from the post office tomorrow and I want to replace the wheel badge

Just stick it on over the original roundel. You will be most pleased with this method! From my many years of research & BMW ownership, I have yet to see an aftermarket steering wheel badge that is an actual replacement. Most OEM badges have a non-circular perimeter border that actually tucks into the steering wheel. Anyhow, a high quality aftermarket badge will look/appear OEM.

Cheers :driver:

• Zitat von David8;65373

Angus, did you get enough of a response to this.
    Add me in if you are close to the numbers....

Regrettably, not much interest. If you drive in the winter months when leaves are on the road, they often get sucked in through the intake and jam the Auxiliary fan. A well-made grille would prevent this.

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• Grille

Couldn't agree more. I've found all sorts of stuff up there, shredded tesco bags, leaves, twigs...enough kindling to start a bonfire!

I've got a good quality stainless mesh grille and will have bash at making it up myself.

Spoke to Gerry about his, and he gave me good advice. Once you've made up an accurate cardboard template, it's just a matter of fixing it.

Trouble is I'm a bit fussy and the fixings would have to be discrete (and stainless).

Cheers.:winkwink:

• I would be interested in how you get on - I agree about the "fussy" approach!

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• Hi all

I did a similar thing to my old 996 911 it had the gt3 front end so a great big gaping hole sucking up leaves. I used some black guttering mesh from B&Q and drilled some holes inside the bumper (out of site) and attached with black cable ties to the back of the hole rather than the front. I think the total cost was about 20 pounds. The idea being that you coundt see the mesh unless you were looking.

• Is there big interest in these grilles?

I found another fag packet in my fan :(

------------------------------------------
    BMW 840ci Sport Invididual 1997
    Land Rover Freelander HSE Td4 2004
    Maserati Shamal 1996

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!