Winter Preparations?

• Hey guys

Im about to have my first winter in my 840.

Anyone have any recommendations for any preventative maintenance suggestions for winter? I have already given her a good clean and a few coats of wax for the outside.

Anything to do with the engine or interior to get her ready for the frosty snowy nights. She is parked outside. I do have a cover for her when she isn't being used.

Was just looking for any good ideas!

Thanks

• Hi,

Usual stuff I guess. Greater strength additive in screen-wash etc., etc.,

Salt's the biggest problem I reckon.

The road salt got my old set of cross-spoke alloys.
    I got a new set....then come the clock change each autumn I put the old corroded set back on for the winter.
    You have M-Parallels I think, so they should better withstand the salt.

Aberdeen though...ooer!

Good luck!
    Dave

• Empty a large can of WD40 or similar under the bonnet. I do this every time I wash her and it keeps the alloy parts in really good condition..... In fact spray anywhere you can see a bolt or connector... Never can have to much lube!!

• A couple of cans of Waxoyl all around under the arches, underneath and even along the outside of the lower sills. Suspension too but keep off the brakes. Will look like crap but will give excellent protection and will jet wash off next spring.

A really good spray around those fuel and brake pipes under the floor too.

• I have a plastic mesh container which I stand in a plastic bowl. I fill the mesh with silica gel crystal/pellets and leave it in the interior of the car. This takes the moisture out of the interior and stops any mould/mildew developing.

I have removed all under-wing plastic trim, power-washed, dried and covered in wayoxl. Under bonnet, I use a can of WD40 and spray everywhere! The exposed brake and fuel line pipes underneath have been covered in grease, using my fingers the ensure it is worked on top of the pipe (next to the body).

The batteries are important too! Use a battery-tender that you can keep switched on to keep them in peak condition.

You might think about tyre "slippers" to stop any flat spots developing - depending on how long you are keeping it stationary.

Make sure a cover is well tied down, because if it flaps too much it will scratch your paintwork.

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• I think he intends to drive it this winter.... not store it.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!