Ceramic disc and brakes

• There is a posibility that we can buy ceramic disc and brakes specially made for the 8-series !

We must have 100 pre-orders, than the cost will be appr. as the genuine bmw-parts!

So, no match when you are braking, the life is very much longer.....and no high costs to purchaging.

Who is interested?

E31, the road to go!:winkwink:
    Dick
    President BMW Club E31 Nederland
    President BMW 8er Clubs International(B8CI)
    President Federatie Nederlandse BMW Clubs(FNBC)
    President BMW Auto Clubs Nederland(BACN)

• Dick Hi Mate,

Your Title States ' Ceramic discs & brakes'

Are you saying we could have the opportunity to have new discs & calipers or just the Discs, either way I'm Interested:winkwink:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• I'm in.

Are we talking front rear set with bigger calippers?
    like 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears?

Or just stock size rotors, with new style pads to put into the stock calippers?

I've been looking for a big brake kit for a while, but Brembo and willwood only have fronts, I want front and rear.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

Hello guys,

At this moment I know following:

-We can order disks and schoes in ceramic by a manufacturer when we have 100 sets.
    -It doesn''t matter for what car, they will produce it.
    -So when we want them for our E31 that's not a problem
    -By 100 sets the price pro set will be arround 1000 Euro's or less, beause one order must be 100000 Euro''s, otherwise they wont make a deal.
    -That's what they told a friend of mine who imports carproducts
    -He will try to sell the for the 5-series, because the market is better...
    -He will get a set for his M3 to test them on the Nurburgring and when it goes two round without problems, he will order them.
    -We can order them by 50 sets sold, but he doesn''t want the other 50 sets on stock becuase then there is laying for 50000 Euro''s without knowing when he eer sell it, so the price will go up there so the pain is less.
    -my part in it is only to ask arround if there are enough 8th drivers who wants them so he can plan to order them.
    -I don''t know if they will fit on a csi, it don''t matter is the disk is smaller I''ll think, because you will brake with you nose against the window, but how to mount the caliper on the disk I don't know
    -So far it''s only a dream, because we have 87 to go or, when we want to pay a little bit more, 40-50 sets to go at least.....:itsme:

I''ll think that the experience will be out of this world when you put the same brakes as the ones are on the porsches....:cool:

Dick

• 1000€ is not bad. My guess is that a set of stock brakes (rotors and pads)will set me back 800-1000€ anyway, and these will be better.

The other thing that comes to mind is spares.... not that they will need to be replaced soon, but with my driving it will probably take close to 8-10 years to wear them out.
    But what then?
    Rally up another 100 people all over again?

you mention 5 series, doesent the e34 540 have the same brakes as the e31? I believe the calipper at least is the same.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von Noggie;56620

1000€ is not bad.

but with my driving it will probably take close to 8-10 years to wear them out.

?

Don't bet on it;-)

Ask any Porsche GT3 Owner how long his discs last 10,000 miles at most & at Porsche prices add £3000 to each service, they may well be good but they don't really last any longer than stock discs:eek:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• well I will drive my car 5-8000km a year, this year I have done maybe 2000km.
    So at worst it will still take me 2,5 years to drive 10.000 miles.
    the norm would be 3-4 years.

But I don't think drive my 8 as the GT3 owners drive their GT3's so you could probably double that figure.
    Which brings me up to 5-8 years before I need a new set.

When I got my 8 some 2+ years ago the brakes where far from new. I have driven it 16.000km since then, 9900miles, and I really don't need new brakes in a while, plenty of rotor and pads left still.
    could probably do another 10.000 miles without a problem.

The reason why I want new ones is that the stock overheat and fades, after an emergency braking on the German autobahn from 260kph down to 130kph left me with the pedal on the floor and no brakes for a minute I deemed the stock ones as "crap".
    X-drilled big ones with 6 pistons up front is what I want.
    Don't want to risk rear ending some dude just because my brakes faded away.
    And they look way better to.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• What will you use Steve? A anchor?:rofl:

I don''t think that they last 10.000 miles, what I''ve heard about it it should be at least 50000k without a problem!(but as always, it depends on what you will do with you car, when you are always thinking that you are on a circuit, all brakes will wornout quickly).

Ofcourse we don''t think that we will sell 100 sets, there will be stock, and of course the brakepads are noit very expensive, there will be ordered more than needen(and the disk will last longer than the pads).

The mean problem now is to put the minimumorder of 100 pieces, buying than in smaller quantities is no problem because the developmentcost are done than.

And the other remarck is also something we tought about: do they fit on other bmw?
    When the disk will fit on f.e. the 5-series, it would be easier to sell the 100 sets!!!!!
    Does anyone knows?

Dick

• By the way, did I miss something Steve?

Do you have a 8th again?:itsme:

Dick

• Hello Richard,

Top, than it will be the 324x30 one''s !
    (And to the csi-guy''s, YOU HAVE A CSI...WHAT DO YOU WANT MORE!:laugh:)

Cheers

Dick

• I just checked the ETK myself, and compared p.nr. the p.nr is 34116757746 for front 850.
    Smileatme. where did you find that number? it does not match the one I found in BMW ETK?

For the e39 540i it is only pre 03/2000 production models that use the front same p.nr as the 850.

As for the e38 only the 740i uses these brakes, the 750 has bigger rotors (334x32) 735i has smaller.
    740i front and rear are the same as the 850.

the e32 7-series has smaller brakes. (750i 302x28)

so it the front will fit e39 540 up to 03/2000.
    front and rear will fit the e38 740i only.

even if the size is the same (324x30mm) it dosent mean that the hub is the same, if the hub is not as deep, the offset of the car will change... if the calipper will fit at all.

I'd stick with the e31's, the e38 740i and the e39 540i front as the same rotor. For those cars the p.nr match, not just the size.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!