Sticking door handle

• Probably due to me considering selling her earlier this month, my car has decided to make life a little difficult for me.

The drivers door now doesnt open when I lift the lever, without me either: trying repeatedly on the handle for about 4 or 5 lifts (sometimes more), or if I give it sharp bang with my fist (not preferable).

I've WD-40'd the catch, but it has made no difference. Do I need to remove the handle and refurb it, or is it kaput ?

• Hate to break the bad news but you'll need to replace it. The handle mechanism is made out of ultra-poor quality pop metal. I replaced mine recently due to the same problem. I had the same symptoms as you. It took 4 or 5 times to get the door to open. Then one day, it no longer opened at all. BTW, this is a very common problem with E31, E32, E34...

Have a look here for details + pics:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com…/showthread.php?t=1022381

http://forums.bimmerforums.com…/showthread.php?t=1015630

Cheers!

• Take a look first, it may just be the latch hooks that have bent (both my doors did it), pulling the door handle up harder just bends them even more. If the pot metal mechanism is broken (not uncommon) then you'll need replacement parts.

WARNING
    I put a link in to a thread (same as Waynes above) but clicking on just takes me to a page full of German. Clicking on any links thereafter take me to the same page and I have to login again to go anywhere. Wayne you may want to remove your link as its doing the same.

93 850 CSI
    hung like Einstein, clever as a horse

• It may just be me, I'm getting the English version of the page now.

Access is not granted.

Various reasons can exist:
    You are not logged in or your login has experienced an inactivity timeout.
    Solution: log in above

You do not have sufficient privileges to perform the action requested, e.g. administrative action
    Solution: get in touch with an administrator

The login credentials are incorrect
    Did you forget your password?
    Did you register at all? Did you activate the link sent to your email address and receive a return activation message?

Accounts are evaluated and activated by hand. We will not activate accounts with falsified or incomplete data to protect the community from spammers and hawkers of all sorts.

In case your problem does not go away once you are correctly logged in or you still cannot log in in please use the "Contact Us" button to get in touch.

Thank you!

93 850 CSI

• You must logging again. Our cookies can be used only for one domain and we have two.

When you login with www.8er.org, all links with www.8er.org/.... works well, but links with www.8er.org/... don't works. In this case, you must looging again.

• ok ok, I'm slow at getting round to things, but been looking at my door handles today and as Shiggsy said the S lever is indeed bent. Nothing else appears to be broken, and all electrics work. The door panel is off and I have access to everywhere.....

Firstly, thanks Shiggsy for pointing me in the right direction, but secondly, how on earth do you remove the S Levers. No amount of twisting turning or jigging around seems to free them !! I'm sure there must be a sweet spot, but so far I havent found it !

Just to confirm that it must be the S lever, if I push down on it with a screwdriver, the latch drops as required, just as it does when the interior door cable is pulled, so It must be the lever.

I'll keep trying, but if anyone knows, please drop me a line :winkwink:#

One thing that'll probably make you laugh.... I got the door panel off, and then looked inside. Then thought how the hell am I gonna get past that 'clear shield' to access the handles and it's securing points. 10 minutes head scratching revealed that I had the driverside window down..... ROFLMAO :oops::oops:

• You plonker Rodney!

Thanks for making me laugh, the boss thinks I'm mad :)

• hehe, thought that would raise a smile :rofl:

However, I have bigger smile on my face as Shiggsy's tip appears to have done the trick. I managed to remove the S Lever (again easy once you realise it pops out of the bottom location point easily :oops:) and straightened it out in the vice.

Reassembled the handle (still got the covers etc to fit) and hey presto, I can open the door again :)

Shiggsy, PM me your paypal account, I'm gonna send you a pint or two !!

before #1

before #2

after #1

after #2

as it should look.....

• Zitat von TallTony;58597

One thing that'll probably make you laugh.... I got the door panel off, and then looked inside. Then thought how the hell am I gonna get past that 'clear shield' to access the handles and it's securing points. 10 minutes head scratching revealed that I had the driverside window down..... ROFLMAO :oops::oops:

Step away from the car.
    :laugh:

Thats more or less how my one looked. You taking it to BMW to have it straightened properly with a 'laser hammer' or are you going to try a DIY?:)
    (If you thought getting that hook off was hard wait till you try to get it back in!)

93 850 CSI

• mate, it's all back together and working like a dream (actually, it's working like a proper car that lets you IN when you pull the handle....) :banghead: :hmmmm: :laugh:

I shudder to think how much BMW would have charged for this fix...

New handle, new micro switches etc..... and £85 an hour @5hrs...

I simply straightened it in a vice, and popped it back in. Took about 30mins, as opposed to the 1 1/2hrs it took to disassemble. Still that's a minimum of £170 of stealer money in my back pocket....

Well, that's one job ticked off the list, just a dozen more to chip away at now....

Cheers :beer:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!