"Marten repellers"

• In the process of sorting out the ignition of my car noticed that all the ignition cables (from the cable trunking to the plug cap) and the ignition coil cables are protected with numerous small hard plastic caps that sort of link together to cover most of the cables.
    Never took much notice of these and assumed they were some kind of protection from abrasion/heat.
    Only just now, looked up the description of these plastic bits on bmwfans.
    "Marten repeller" (and underneath says "only applies to marten protected")

????

So looked up marten repeller on internet search and what does it come up with ? - ultrasonic systems to deter martens (yes the bird !) from entering the engine bay of vehicles! and I quote "if a marten enters the engine bay of a car, it places its scent marks and returns there again causing continuous problems to the car owner".

I notice that marten repeller kits are available for various BM models (seriously).-and they're not on the ignition cables.

Is this a problem I've never heard about ? Wildlife enthusiasts help me out here.
    Am I missing the point for some other electrical related term? or just being dim ?
    As far as I know, I dont have a problem with birds visiting my engine bay so when I order my new Magnecor cables, I think I'll go without the marten repeller option (if it exists) :)

• No this is not an April Fool. Just remember that this is a German built car so some fo the word meanings may be different, Marten is not referring to the bird, it's referring to this little creature featured below. They can be very destructive and chew their way through lots of very nice chewy plastic such as wiring insulation.

Quite common and the local equivalent of "Halfrauds" stocks marten-repellers.

(The 2nd picture shows a different use for Martens)

• Yeh - would have been a good one for April 1st :)
    But unfortunately, I'm serious (sort of).

Have a look on bmwfans, CSi, engine electrics, ignition cables etc.
    Item no 4 - marten repeller !

Maybe its BMW having a laugh ? :laugh:

• Jason,
    Didn't see your reply when I wrote mine ....
    Aahh - marten the furry stoat-like thing, that makes more sense ;)
    I'm sure this was a really essential thing to have on a UK car !
    (although maybe its a problem for our Scots brothers ?).
    I've got squirrels living in the woods next to my house, I wonder if they are protection against those ? :laugh:

Anybody else got these things on their cars ? Were they standard on the CSi ?
    Surely, nobody paid extra for these things when new in UK ?

City's busy, hell of a cold east wind though ....:)

• Those are they ..... look a bit like thick coiled telephone cable.
    My CSi doesn't have a "belly plate" as such. There would be enough room for them to squeeze through ....

• Looks like the Marten protection option goes all the way back to first production... hilarious. Wonder why they didn't add deer whistles too. You V12 guys get all the cool stuff....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!