trickle charging

• My car is away for the winter and needs a trickle charger to maintian the batteries. I have battery charger that has a 2 amp setting. Would that be low enough to leave on for the witner. Next, can I place it in the trunk and hook it up to one of the batteries that way. Will it automatically charge both or would I have to connect the two batteries with jumper cables first? Shouldn't be this complicated should it.....

thanks for any tips.

Halifax, Canada

1995 840ci
    2001 Jeetta TDI
    2006 Porsche Cayenne TT (needed a sports car that'll push through 12 inches of snow)

• both batteries will be charged if you connect the charger to one of them.

To connect a charger that continously feed 2amps is not good for long term.
    You could end up "boiling" both your batteries.

I recommend you to do as me and other have done and get an intelligent charger.
    This way you will never overcharge or damage your batteries even during long term storage. Just plug it in and forget.

I have a CTEK charger in my boot, it's the size of a beer can and have several modes.
    I have the US 7000, 139usd.

https://www.shopatron.com/prod…6-159/560.0.23205.0.0.0.0

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• boiling batteries

thanks Noggie,

I had a feeling 2 amps might be a little high for extended charging, thanks for confirming.

Halifax, Canada

1995 840ci
    2001 Jeetta TDI
    2006 Porsche Cayenne TT (needed a sports car that'll push through 12 inches of snow)

• CteK

Hi!
    I also have the CTEK7000!
    It´s a great tool! I have 12,5 volts on batteries! And each cell from each battery is in the green level..!!
    I started the car today without any problems! (for climate control)

Greetings from Austria!

Richard

Alle sagten es geht nicht, bis einer kam der das nicht wusste und es einfach machte...:winkwink:

• Solar Charger

Hi

Or you could go eco friendly and use a solar panel charger, which plugs into your cigarette lighter socket (just make sure it is live with the ignition off, mine is) and away you go, dead easy install.

I actually use it to keep my TVR Chimeara charged over winter, these cars have a real habit of killing batteries. and it seems works a treat, Just screwed it to the outside of the garage and trailed the lead inside.

Have a look here this is the one i use:-
    http://www.power-store.com/view-item.asp?itemid=193&id=35&

Regards
    Rob

Why have 4 when you can make a V and have 8 and roar

BMW 840Ci Sport (After 8 Club member now).... BMW X5 4.6is (LPG).... TVR Chimeara 4.0

Slipped a 6 in......Racing Dynamics K38
    And another 6.....Alpina Roadster 3.4S

• Don't disagree with CTek. It is the best conditioner/charger for layups without disconnecting anything

The TVR has got one in the boot as well prewired to the battery, but i have no power in my garage so it is of no use what so ever.

And Solar Power is free!

Rob

BMW 840Ci Sport (After 8 Club member now).... BMW X5 4.6is (LPG).... TVR Chimeara 4.0

• Solar power sounds good, however in my case during the winter we dont have daylight for more than 6-7 hours, and not much light gets into my garage either.
    So it really is not an option for me, but it's a good idea.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Hi Noggie

You mount it outside your garage on a place that gets most sun.

Yep Stavanger is a long way north! i guess there are not many months you get to use your 8 either

My mum is from Oslo.

Rob

• Zitat von robmarrs;57986

Have a look here this is the one i use:-
    http://www.power-store.com/view-item.asp?itemid=193&id=35&

The problem with that is that the manufacturer states it can be used for batteries up to 50 Ah. The 8 has two batteries of 70 Ah each: 140 Ah! With the amount of electrical items that lay dormant but not completely asleep in the 8, I'm not sure it'd be sufficient over a number of months.

I guess if access to mains power is an issue, you could buy two of them and connect them in parallel. Maybe one on each battery, how convenient ;) although obviously it makes no difference if you connect both to one battery as they're in parallel anyway.

• yes it is pretty far north, but on the west coast of Norway we don't have much snow in the winter, it's usually from -5 to +5C during the winter, and maybe 10-15 days of snow in total.
    We do have alot of frost though, so the roads are heavily salted, and I don't drive my 8 on salty roads.
    but I live by the coast, move just 20-30km inland and you have a lot of snow.

My 8'er season is usually from mid-late April through October, so about 6-7 months, and half of those I'm at work (28/28 rotation world wide).

Writing this from Singapore, 30++ here today, and in Stavanger it was -9 the other day :)

8's parked in my storage, and the M3 in in my carport.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• I have been using the 'Battery Tender' for the last 2 years and it really is foolproof. I made a permanent connection under the hood to the B+ and ground terminals with one of the supplied leads that has a connector on the other end and just plug the charger in over the winter with absolutely no problems at all. It is an 'intelligent' piece of equipment and keeps the batteries in peak condition.

Have a look here for details -

www.batterytender.net

• Zitat von hedgehog;58489

I have been using the 'Battery Tender' for the last 2 years and it really is foolproof. I made a permanent connection under the hood to the B+ and ground terminals with one of the supplied leads that has a connector on the other end and just plug the charger in over the winter with absolutely no problems at all. It is an 'intelligent' piece of equipment and keeps the batteries in peak condition.

Have a look here for details -

www.batterytender.net

I use a similar thing on my bike over winter, as it gets parked up in the garage for 4 or 5 months. Works a treat.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!