where to paint a sunroof?

• I have a new sunroof panel from BMW and want to get it painted; I appreciate that for a good colour match I should get the roof painted at the same time, but I would like to paint just the sunroof panel for now. For the best chance of a decent colour match should I go to BMW (though, will they even do it if they aren't fitting it?), or is an independent paint shop just as likely to give a good match?

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

• There are not many Dealerships that actually have a paint shop ,preferring to use a good local company instead, I've just had my roof redone by a Mate & it looks a fantastic match given that it's a 16 year old I'm well pleased:)

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• BMW will only farm it out to an 'approved' paint shop anyway so I'd be tempted to find a well facilitated paint shop to avoid the BMW premium.

Even through BMW they may encounter issues matching the new panel to the rest of the roof due to age and wear etc. Perhaps get a quote for having the roof blown over to match?

• Roof

Independent.

Any good independent should be able to give advice on whether or not your roof needs this.

Indeed, you might be pleasantly surprised to find the additional cost of doing the whole roof is not too great.

• Zitat von wpo750;64157

BMW will only farm it out to an 'approved' paint shop anyway ....

This is the usual case, but there are one or two large BMW dealerships in the UK who have their own state-of-the-art body and paint shops. (Cooper in Thames Ditton is one example). However, the end result is not necessarily any better, but at least they do use "BMW" paints and materials.

• Hi Roy, any bodyshop worth their salt should be able to paint the sunroof panel without the need to go and do the whole roof itself.

PM me if you would like my recommendation.

£300 (quote for Joe Public) sounds worryingly cheap to me for that type of job. :ahhhhh:

Swissvax Certified Detailer.
    April 1998 BMW 840CiA Sport Individual

• Zitat von Benji 840Ci Sport;64427

Hi Roy, any bodyshop worth their salt should be able to paint the sunroof panel without the need to go and do the whole roof itself.

PM me if you would like my recommendation.

£300 (quote for Joe Public) sounds worryingly cheap to me for that type of job. :ahhhhh:

Lucky old me then:laugh::laugh::laugh:

My Mate has just painted the roof/Csi front & Rear spoilers & Schnitzer mirrors & drivers side rear 1/4 panel for £400 folding:top: so it took him 9 weeks:eek: but I realize it's very cheap,But top Quality both in colour match & Quality:devilchilli::devilchilli:I collect Tomorrow so expect to be posting the usuall mulitudes of pictures after.:winkwink:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• I took my new sunroof panel to a local, recommended paint shop and they charged me £ 100.00 to paint it. I have since fitted the roof with a new seal, and I can't spot any colour mismatch; it looks great.

Jaap

1996 840Ci
    1990 964 RS
    1985 Turbo Esprit

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!