Anyone got an OEM amp they want to sell me?

• People sell broken stuff on eBay all the time, but since you now have two dead amps... Did you consider the possibility the problem may be elsewhere? Does the amp get power?

• My stereo system is a right mess as someone tried to upgrade the speakers badly via lots of wire chopping, then try to bypass the amp with yet more chopping. The old amp swicthes on, I can hear the click and see the relay switch over, but the sounds is barely a whisper even on full volume. The "new' amp doesn't switch on but if I bodge the relay closed it works. I thought about switching the relays over but getting the thing to pieces looks tricky, can it be done?

• Of course it can be done. Swapping a relay should be a piece of cake if you occasionally use a soldering iron. But... Relays usually fail on the switching contacts, not the coil. I'm not saying the coil can't fail, but I'd first measure whether or not the new amp's relay coil actually gets power. If it doesn't, the problem is elsewhere and perhaps a lot more complex or difficult to find than a relay. You can measure the voltage over the coil with a simple multimeter.

• i took both amps to pieces at the weekend and struggled to work out what was wrong with the relay. As i can bodge one of the amps on I got bored and started looking at my speakers. I tried to test the resistance across the speakers by testing the negative wire that covers a quarter (e.g. Front Right) then the positive for the specific speaker (like Front Right High). I got 4ohms over most but my door based speakers (front high and mid) on both sides weren't showing anything. Any idea where I start to diagnose this? With the amp on the system sounds terrible, lots of distortion and fairly quiet even at full blast. Any help appreciated as the lack of sounds means I can hear all the squeaks and rattles in my car which is not good.

• You wrote in your second post the system sounds very soft with the old amp, but with the new amp it "works" after bodging the relay. If the speakers work normally with the new amp, the problem is obviously not in the wiring.

In case I misinterpret "works"... Do the two door speakers on each side produce any sound? If yes and of equal volume level as the other speakers, double check the measuring methods you used to determine the speaker impedance.

Did a previous owner replace the speakers with after market ones? Perhaps there are filters in the doors (definitely not stock) which may influence the measuring.

Do you at any chance live nearby another fellow E31'er with who you can do a quick swap of the amp. Or arrange something at an upcoming meeting. Just to be sure it's not the amp... Keep in mind there are two amps for the E31: The early and late model. You must swap with the correct one (you can't mess up - one of the plugs won't fit if incorrect).

If the door speakers remain dead, have a look at X256 and X257. Perhaps these plugs are not seated properly (although you'd have a lot more issues with the doors if that were the case). Otherwise you'll have to take the door panels off and have a look at what's inside.

• Thanks Revtor - you are an electrical magician. With the original amp (with working relay/switch) all speakers emit a very very weak sound. With the "working" amp (with dead switch) the speakers that read 4ohm all emit much louder but horribly distorted sounds. I think i can hear a whisper from the other speakers but that could be my imagination. I'm a lonely e31er in St Albans ;( but i'm going to Gaydon so if I haven't sorted it by then i'll try to swap there. I think a previous owner has done something bad as there are non-standard alpine speakers in the footwells that were hard wired to a horid JVC headunit when i bought it. I have subsequently put in a standard headunit, albeit from the USA, hope that doesn't matter. The wiring by the drivers door sill looks like it's been messed with, but i'm not sure what it looks like in stock condition.

• Ah, the previous owner did probably mess with the wiring. That's an important given. Considering the E31 audio system is built around a 10-channel amplifier and most headunits are only 4-channel, it is very likely the previous owner did change the wiring in the doors too. If he did it properly, he should have added filters too - somewhere...

Since both amps give different results it's safe to assume at least one of the amps has an issue. But since there's now a strong suspicion the wiring may be altered, you'll have to figure that out first and fix it where necessary. It's kinda difficult to give advice on this. Download the ETM for your car (make sure it's the right year) and have a look at section 6510 which describes the audio system. Unplug all speakers (the plugs on the speakers in the footwells, the plugs on the rear speaker pods, X256 & X257 for the door speakers and the speaker plug on the amp) and measure each wire using the ETM diagrams. Also measure for connections of the speaker system that shouldn't be (for example, since the speakers are disconnected none of the positive speaker terminals may have contact with the negative/common terminal - a high resistance is not good, it should be open, no contact whatsoever). Boring job, but you'll get a good picture of what's changed to the wiring.

If the resistance is not very low (a few ohms at most considering the loss over the long probes and wire), or not a constant (for example increasing), there's not a solid connection. Increasing values indicate capacitors, which on its turn may indicate filters.

If all measures well, turn your attention to the doors (or start with this if you think the problem is most likely here). Before taking things apart, it's best to measure at X256 and X257. You can't unplug the speakers without taking the panels off, so pay attention to the speaker's impedance this time.

If that's all ok as well, the wiring is not the problem. Get a good amp. If it measures weird things you'll have to get the door panels off...

Btw, if you use a cheap digital multimeter, disconnect the batteries (just undo the common ground location) while measuring. Measuring resistance over a voltage source (because of accidentally probing the wrong pins) may damage cheap meters.

• Really soft sound from the speakers could also mean that the speaker level outputs from the head unit are not connected to the amp.

If the head unit preamp outputs are connected to the amp you will get very low level sound from the speakers.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I measured the voltage at all of the radio inputs into the amp, and with the headunit on all of the were showing several volts fluctuating significantly I guess due to the banging dance track I was playing at the time :grin2:, so i assumed that meant that the HU was wired up OK.

Here are a couple of pictures of the wiring down by the driver's (RHD) door sill. Those wires don't look like the work of BMW to me...

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/9187/
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/9188/

These pictures were taken hastily on a mobile phone as I was leaving for the train this morning so i don't suppose they'll help much, but if you could confirm that this looks messed with I'd appreciate it! I'll follow your diagnostic instructions tonight and let you know how I get on. Cheers all.

• Nope, that's definitely not stock. Seems like a lot of cut wires. That will be a joy to find out and fix (sarcastic)...

How difficult is it to run new wires if you're not happy with the OEM wiring harness? Some people...

• thanks Revtor. I'm starting to doubt the wisdom of what i'm doing as even if I manage to get the system working again, i'll be left with a fairly crappy system. Maybe I should abandon the old components and wiring and have a new system fitted?

• :shock:

The wiring loom for the headunit may still be left unmolested!
    Those cowboys obviously decided to go the no-matter-what-and-where route and hopefully missed the obvious ;)

The routing of the audio wiring loom is inside the middle console and nowhere near the doors. It is laid down underneath the middle console and rear armrest, then into the boot through the ski bag and going left and right towards the amp, CD changer and speakers.

I´d assume that you will find the chop job very close to the footwell speakers and maybe even dangling OEM connectors where they used to be hooked up.

HTH, cheers
    Reinhard

• there was an obvious chop job to the footwell speakers that I have reconnected but the door speakers are more of a mystery - no obvious chopping. The wiring "enhancements" seem quite professional in places, and in others dangling bare wires. I suspect someone installed a good system then removed the HU and sold the car to a cowboy who botched. I need to take it all apart and work out what's what :grin2:

• Did a bit more digging tonight (haven't had time to run through your suggestions yet Revtor - bloody work - such a pain!!) and I noticed that all that wonky looking wiring end up here....8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/9189/

This is right under the steering wheel. My best guess is a speed sensitive volume control? Any ideas? It's stamped with BMW Nov 1990 a month before my car was built so i guess it's OE despite the dodgy looking wiring. It's definitely spliced into what look like speaker wires, three wires all with yellow rings. One in brown/grey another brown/blue and the last is pink/grey all of them end up in a socket with a white retaining clip in between two large black regular electrical plugs (i guess these are X256/7) in the drivers door sills. There's a myriad of other wires coming in and out of the mystery unit, one looking like it goes into the engine bay and another off to the other side of the car.

BTW, the wiring behind the headunit looks unmolested.

I downloaded the ETM for my car, but it looks very thin on the ground for the radio, just power not speakers? I'm looking at section 6510.0 is that right?

• Zitat von NickF;65802

This is right under the steering wheel. My best guess is a speed sensitive volume control? Any ideas? It's stamped with BMW Nov 1990 a month before my car was built so i guess it's OE despite the dodgy looking wiring.

I'll have to pass on this one. I've never seen that unit before and have absolutely no idea what it's for... Is there a BMW part number on it? Can you show a picture with a bit more overview so I can see exactly where it's located?

I'm not sure why'd you want a speed dependent volume control (GAL) on the speaker outputs, as the E31 already supports GAL on the radio harness. All the radio has to do is support it. Any good headunit does.

Anyhow, I'm quite confident my speaker wiring comes nowhere near the steering wheel, so I don't know why yours should...

Zitat

I downloaded the ETM for my car, but it looks very thin on the ground for the radio, just power not speakers? I'm looking at section 6510.0 is that right?

As far as I know section 6510 is the stereo system in all editions of the ETM. That's of course not limited to just the speakers. Just scroll down from that page to pages where you see speakers. For example, in the '91 ETM the speaker pages are 6510.0-1 (left front), 6510.0-2 (right front) and 6510.0-3 (rear). The speaker wiring is complete. If you don't see it on the diagrams, it's not supposed to be there. Make sure you read from the right diagrams as some years have more than one wiring diagram because of updates during that year.

• This may be the control box for that very early radio remote (came with a key fob).

Here is a picture of the early remote control module incl accessories:

Allegedly this lives somewhere underneath the steering column next to the 3 control units (GM, LKM, EKM).

On second thought - with wires going everywhere ncluding the engine compartment it may also be an ancient burglar alarm control unit!?

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Its shape is different Reinhard... It's not the old remote control box. A burglar alarm is a possibility, but why would you route speakers to it? To prevent the thief from listening to the radio? :mrgreen:

Btw, I just realized Nick has a UK spec car with the steering wheel on the wrong side. So when he mentions a module on the driver side, it's on the passenger side for our cars. I must add I really don't know how different RHD cars are from LHD on the wiring front. I've never worked on a RHD E31.

I do recognize the independent ventilation relay module on Nick's last picture (the box with the white text on). This module is on the passenger side of LHD cars (so it's not near the EKM, LKM and GM2). But I don't recognize the thing above it. Is this the module you mean, Nick? Or is the acual box hidden behind it? On your last but one picture I see a red and white wire entering the box, but on the last picture it seems as if the red and white wires (which appear to be heat shrink tubing) go over/behind the black box. Well, to be honest the pictures are a bit blurry, vague and hard to interpret :mrgreen:...

The BMW part number would be really helpful (well I hope)... If the module you mention is not the one visible in your last picture, can you give the part number of that box too? Just wondering what it is.

• The mystery box is the big one with the thick black wiring tubes going into it. The red and white wires exit the other side and are not visible on that photo. I apologise for my crappy photography, i'll use a proper (non-mobile phone) camera tonight. I was probably throwing you off the scent with the speaker wire thing, it is definitely spliced into three wires in the sill area (right hand sill ;-)) and these wires terminate in the middle plug of the three, with a big white folding clip over it. I'll try to figure out the name of the clip by properly going through the ETM tonight. I'll also get the part #.

Reinhard, the box looks similar to the one on the photo but not the same. I guess your idea of alarm makes some sense, but the thing that's confusing me is the weird symbol that looks like a volume control with a + and -. Wierd.

Appreciating the help guys. Nick

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!