Supercharger install

• Maybe you've uploaded the files but never added them to your post? Drag and drop. I don 't think this format of site is very intuitive when it comes to adding pics.

• so you cant see the pictures??

all are in my album "supercharger install" under my profile

http://www.8er.org/forum/album.php?albumid=169

all pictures are linked to from that album using the "BB link" that is under the image when you view it in the album.
    strange that it does not work for all of you.

NickF. I've replaced the injectors, so it's no problem. I just had a slight concern regarding my head gasked pistons and piston rings.

I have decided to take a day off from the garage.
    I hope to have the chips tomorrow, and then I need to change my brakes and do an engine oil change and we are good to go.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Looks very good Noggie!
    Some questions;
    -Do you need only 1 airfilter?(I have 4)
    -Your cooler is watercooled? Has also a ventilator?
    -Do you think of cooling the motoroil?(I have, without it the oil goes to 130-140 C)
    Futher a very compact and smooth installation, great!

See you next week, can we compare!:laugh:

E31, the road to go!:winkwink:
    Dick
    President BMW Club E31 Nederland
    President BMW 8er Clubs International(B8CI)
    President Federatie Nederlandse BMW Clubs(FNBC)
    President BMW Auto Clubs Nederland(BACN)

• only one large cone filter under the right side headlamp. where the stock air filter box used to be. then there is a pipe straight into the SC.

cooler? for what.
    the intercooler is Air cooled an so is the SC fluid, a small radiator just behind the A/C radiator (under the nose cone cover)

I think i have a stock oil cooler.... or maybe I don't... not sure.

Next week.. I hope, but the car is not running yet, so no guarantees.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Thanks Egil for sharing your install progress with everyone. Thanks also to others here for the kind comments.

Dick - The supercharger kit uses a single air filter that feeds air into the supercharger head unit which in turn flows out through an air-to-air intercooler before flowing through the MAF's and DK's on it's way to the cylinders. Unlike all turbocharger systems and most older generation supercharger systems that use engine oil for lubrication (and therefore contribute to heating it), this kit employs it's own oil supply, integral oil pump, and oil cooling system.

Therefore, additional engine oil cooling is not compulsory with this system whilst driven under normal street driving conditions.

Hope this helps...

• Thanks Noggie(hope you will run at time).

Thanks John, I also have sc's that doesn't need external oilcooling, but when you drive longer with more pressure, the motoroil is becomming hotter, therfore we installed a cooler.(there is a standard cooler for tropic regions available at the dealers).
    I'm impressed by the compact unit you developed!
    Success!

E31, the road to go!:winkwink:
    Dick
    President BMW Club E31 Nederland
    President BMW 8er Clubs International(B8CI)
    President Federatie Nederlandse BMW Clubs(FNBC)
    President BMW Auto Clubs Nederland(BACN)

• John,
    This is shaping up to be a really neat install - have you considered a kit for the M62 V8?

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• DME chips arrived today....

Hope to start her up this afternoon.
    need to do an oil change and change my brakes before I take her for a spinn.

Will post back later today with the results.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von DickB;66145

Thanks John, I also have sc's that doesn't need external oilcooling, but when you drive longer with more pressure, the motoroil is becomming hotter, therfore we installed a cooler.(there is a standard cooler for tropic regions available at the dealers).
    I'm impressed by the compact unit you developed!
    Success!

Thanks again for the kind words, Dick -

Going forward, I will be sure to provide guidance for those owners who wish to have the "tropical" bits by updating my installation guide to reflect this.

I do want to reiterate, though, that additional engine oil cooling is not compulsory with this kit when driven under normal street driving conditions.

This is due to the extremely high efficiency of the made-to-order supercharger unit we're using which is able to achieve 98% drive efficiency and ~80% compressor efficiency. Most superchargers have much lower efficiency ratings (typically in the 65% range) and therefore inject much more heat into the intake tract.

Our higher efficiency supercharger coupled with the large intercooler keeps contributory engine heating to a minimum. The result is that engine operating temps are well within the design limits of the stock cooling system.

Of course, if you're tracking the car or going flat out on the autobahn then I would strongly recommend adding the CSi engine oil cooler to the car as well.

Rgds...

• Zitat von anguswolfendale;66154

John,
    This is shaping up to be a really neat install - have you considered a kit for the M62 V8?

Yes. However with my time constraints, I fear it may be quite a long ways off.

Rgds...

• Well... the car is running..... of sorts.
    Had a huge fuel leak in my fuel rail that had to be dealt with, and the pully for the SC wobbled quite bad so that to had to be fixed before driving.

When I finally drove the car I noticed that things was not as expected.
    The car i running very rich at the moment, when I floor it, it just bucks and studders, and thik black smoke come out from my tailpipes.
    I could not get the car above 3500rpm in the beginning, but it has got a bit better now.
    Still runs way rich (10-14mgp/ 20-26L/100km), and appears to "drown" when I floor it.
    Kick down does not work at all as the car then just bucks and studders.
    at half throttle I'm able to ease past 4500rpm and then floor it and she just take off like a plane from 4500-6000rpm, then shifts and hits the problem area again....
    But I have got a taste of what there is to come.

I will now check and change my vacum lines on my throttlebodies, and the intake temp sensors.

So Dick... unless I get the car to run properly.... We'll have to compare later :)

trust me, When this car is running properly.... I will go to Germany to test her.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Zitat von fuzzifikation;66193

Check all the connectors to the DMEs and the EML. Re-connect them - I've had a similar experience which resultet from a bad connection (which I didn't even see)

Will do.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• The DME/EML connections look good.

However I have an aftermarked EML chip so that might be the problem.

But today I had another mishap... the SC pully, or tentioner pully has eaten through a water hose.... So I need a new one.

Sorry Dick, Don't think I can make it to the meeting this time.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• An aftermarket EML chip? Hasn't John supplied an EML chip with the package?
    You know that you shouldn't use the chips which are designed for the normal engine.. ;)

Sorry to hear about the water hose. Happened to me, too - a big reason for aggrevation. But don't give up yet! You can make it..

• Zitat von fuzzifikation;66202

An aftermarket EML chip? Hasn't John supplied an EML chip with the package?
    You know that you shouldn't use the chips which are designed for the normal engine.. ;)

Sorry to hear about the water hose. Happened to me, too - a big reason for aggrevation. But don't give up yet! You can make it..

Sorry to hear it's not yet running smoothly, but persevere all will be true, the merchant bankers that installed the S/c on my 840 left the oil supply hose loose , touching the top pulley, after a few miles ,all hell let loose:eek: but a new pipe later I was on my way:top:

Keep the faith:devilchilli:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Johns kit does not need a new EML kit, just the two DME's.
    But by the looks of it Hartge also changed the EML chip in 1991 when my car was fitted with their cams.

Still waiting for Johns reply, might need a new (stock?) EML chip, that will take a few days to ship to me.
    Also need to replace some temp sensors, some vacuum lines and the water hose, so I'll be busy.

The hose is just a minor set back, but I think that was "the final nail in the coffin" regarding me showing up at the Dutch meeting the 10th.
    If I'm lucky I'll have the parts by then, which leaves no time for test driving, IF I manage to get everything changed on Friday it will still take me a day to get down there.

I still have plenty of faith, I just hoped that I would make it to Holland.

So I'll get her running and keep you posted.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!