• Hi have not been on here for a while...

Sometime ago someone mentioned a Suspension set up that they thought was very good on a 840ci Sport That consisted of a Bilstein set up

Can anyone recommend a good set up front and back.

I recently bought two brand new rear shocks but the car does not feel the same and Im fed up of paying money for OEM parts that quite frankly arent worth the money. BMW UK is asking over £1200 for two front sports shocks and I know I can buy a whole set for that price.

Can someome please help and advise

Thanks

• hey bimm,

I lowered with Eibach 25mm front 27mm rear coils and used VBilstein inserts in the front originaal cases whereaas the rears are sill good.

also had a set of heavy sway bars made by K-Mac suspensions in Sydney Australia..

I drive it like it was stolen and it handles like a go kart

cheers

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Ideal set up on that car would be Eibach springs (£250) to sort the ride height, with the option of lowered CSi springs on the back, Bilsteins all round to sort the damping for around £800 and camberplates (£100) to sort the steering. Add polyurethane bushes to the thrust arms (£50) and roll bars (£35) as necessary and you are away. Add CSi roll bars (£300) for the ultimate set-up.

SO, for around £1500 you get the whole lot, or about the same cost as 2 OEM front dampers. It's a no-brainer!

8Tech.

• Zitat von 8Tech;70207

Ideal set up on that car would be Eibach springs to sort the ride height, with the option of lowered CSi springs on the back, Bilsteins all round to sort the damping and camberplates to sort the steering. Add polyurethane bushes to the thrust arms and roll bars as necessary and you are away. Add CSi roll bars for the ultimate set-up.

8Tech.

That sounds a good combo 8tech, what do you think of Bilsteins with the M sport suspension set up instead of Eibach? (seeing as that's what my car currently has ;) ) Is the rear CSi rear ARb really worth it? I had in mind that there's really not that much incrrease - what is it 1 - 1.5 mm thickness difference? Can't remember...

• You would be going up 2mm on the front roll bar and 1.5mm on the rear over stock on an 840 and the increase is certainly worthwhile for the cost of the bars. Its the installation of the rear bar thats the killer with the whole diff and subframe needing to be dropped.

The M-Sport suspension was fine when new but even with the newest cars now being 10 years old, the springs will be starting to sag and will be prone to breakage on the rears especially. To lower it with a top quality set of springs, matched for performance driving is the way to go IMHO.

• Zitat von 8Tech;70218

You would be going up 2mm on the front roll bar and 1.5mm on the rear over stock on an 840 and the increase is certainly worthwhile for the cost of the bars. Its the installation of the rear bar thats the killer with the whole diff and subframe needing to be dropped.

The M-Sport suspension was fine when new but even with the newest cars now being 10 years old, the springs will be starting to sag and will be prone to breakage on the rears especially. To lower it with a top quality set of springs, matched for performance driving is the way to go IMHO.

sounds sensible advice, I'll have to start scrimping and saving for a set of Eibachs :)

• As has been said there are some options here that are cost effective. I will certainly agree about the swaybar upgrade, I'd say it will be the single most noticeable improvement in your suspension change. The CSI bars are still readily available and will give you 27mm in front and 17mm rear. I went even further with the Kmac bars that are 28.5/19mm respectively, and are adjustable too. Figuring Bilstein struts/shocks as a constant, I went with H&R (front only) and M-Sport (not CSI) rear springs because the spring rates of these balance very closely. You haven't mentioned if lowering the car was a priority, but this combo gives me the slight dropped and raked appearance I was after, and with 17" tyres the ride is nice and the car corners flat and precise.

• Zitat von 8Tech;70207

Ideal set up on that car would be Eibach springs (£250) to sort the ride height, with the option of lowered CSi springs on the back, Bilsteins all round to sort the damping for around £800 and camberplates (£100) to sort the steering. Add polyurethane bushes to the thrust arms (£50) and roll bars (£35) as necessary and you are away. Add CSi roll bars (£300) for the ultimate set-up.

SO, for around £1500 you get the whole lot, or about the same cost as 2 OEM front dampers. It's a no-brainer!

8Tech.

The bushes you are talking about. Are they the bushes I bought from you? Any Idea where I can get the rear CSI? Do they lower the car? So many questions!!! I am going crazy :D

• Andre, the bushes he is talking about are the same compound as the thrust arm ones (powerflex). The CSI rear springs do lower the car. The CSI sway(roll) bars are available from the dealer. You should check there in Poland.... with the discount I get here stateside and the cost to send stuff outbound, I could probably save you money, even from here. My cost on those sways is about $375-US iirc.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!