Upcoming Service Advice

• Hello all,

I have had my '99 840 since August 2008 and finally the service indicator has just ticked down to one green light left. It was last serviced when I bought it in August last year (Inspection I) at 33,500 miles and I have now done around 41,500 miles or so.

So I will be booking it in for my first service since ownership soon. As it is only an oil service that is due, would that include replacing ALL fluids and filters? If not I should probably ask for the brake fluid and coolant to be changed at least along with the oil obviously.

Any other jobs you guys think that I should ask them to perform whilst she is in? Just to ensure she is kept in the best possible shape.

Thanks
    :winkwink:

• I would call and schedule your appointment. While on the phone I would inquire if your car has had Inspection II performed. I suspect it has not been done as your car mileage is low. Inspection II changes the brake fluid. I would have all fluids changed due to the age of your car.

Or you could do the full Insp II early. Or you drive more and get to 60k and do it on schedule.

B

Brian
    95 840Ci 80k
    99 740i 165k
    01 740iS 30k

• You need to check your service history to see if and when any of the extended period service items, such as coolant, brake fluid, transmission and diff fluids were done. I would also check the fuel and cabin filters too as these have probably been overlooked due to low mileage.

The rear discs should have been removed to check, clean and adjust handbrake shoes in the IN1 but often they are not so you could have that done.

Other than that, get a standard oil service done and have everything done in 12 months on an extended IN2.

8Tech.

• Gearbox and diff fluids are not included in any BMW service, so have them replace those.
    I do mine every 50.000km.
    BMW mechanics have told me off the record that they recommend to replace these fluids every 100.000km.

And no, even though some mechanics claim that these are sealed units and that cant be done, it can......

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Thanks all. I will confirm the fluid change history when I am home next week. The car has had an inspection II performed although I need to confirm the mileage which it was done and it also has a coolant change tick in the service book a couple of services ago.

I'll wait until I check the details. Although I think I will ask them to perform the scheduled oil service but also change all the filters and all the fluids in the car just to be safe and I know they have been done.

Thanks

• Sparkles, If I were you I'd let BMW do their thing. They will probably suggest coolant and brake fluid change anyway due to the time since last service, other than that I'd just get a normal oil service and feel happy you haven't spent a fortune. Your next service won't be so enjoyable ;-). I had a 10 year old M3 evo with similarly low miles serviced at BMW and my inspection II was almost £1200. Nick

• Ouch!

Thanks for the heads up. :ahhhhh:

Time to get saving for next time round then I guess! Although seeing as I drive less than 5000 miles a year, it seems to be around the 2 year mark until my service lights have ticked out, so plenty time to save!

Because of this length of time I just felt then need to ensure all filters and fluids are done regulary.

:)

• Discount

Discount, discount, discount.......!!

Any chance of your dealership giving a labour discount?
    A he** of a lot of BMW Dealerships are actively touting a discount (in some cases 60%) on labour charges for servicing our >10yr old 8ers....
    For example...http://www.chandlers-bmw.co.uk/service/own.html?id=353

Sorry, I know this is not geographically useful to you - but maybe there's room for negotiation here?

For example, I had an 'Oil Service' in May & those guys charged me £37.53 labour:)
    Mind you they "boiled me alive" with the oil at £15/litre......liquid gold:ahhhhh:
    Sort of win/lose situation:laugh:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!